Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
This thread is very old and might contain outdated or inaccurate information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAmanita virosa
botanist by day
Male User Gallery

Loc: north kakalacky
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Eating mycelium [Re: Mycelio]
    #17177257 - 11/07/12 08:29 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Mycelio said:
This must be C. militaris.
I think you can see C. sinensis here:

Carsten

Woa! I stand corrected. If that is in fact c sinensis. I was under the impression that only militaris had been successfully cultivated on caterpillars. Leave it to the Chinese I guess

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Offlinechefinainteasy
Chef
Male User Gallery

Re: Eating mycelium [Re: Amanita virosa]
    #17177351 - 11/07/12 09:01 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Yes BP thanks, im am aware of the separation of kingdom. My question was more related to the effaces of fruiting and a potential concentration of nutrient. Im simply asking if the fruiting body has been proven to be any better for you than the mycelial mass of the fungus. Not comparing fungi to plants:wink:

--------------------
Check out my youtube videos. the Mushrooms Naturally series by chefinainteasy

My new business is now on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MushroomsNaturally?ref=hl

MY Garden:grin:

InvisibleSpeeker

Re: Eating mycelium [Re: chefinainteasy]
    #17177452 - 11/07/12 09:26 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

The cordyceps in the video was still unknown when I last heard of it,
but they knew that it wasn't sinensis.

But there are some one time successes of fruiting sinensis (done by Chinese, naturally).

--------------------
mushroom links, videos, etc.  blog

Offlinebitepourrie
Mr
Male User Gallery

Loc: Concepcion Tarlac Philipp...
Re: Eating mycelium [Re: Speeker]
    #17177909 - 11/07/12 11:16 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Jeff as my best knowledge the answer is not straight forward. some fruitbodies of some species especially agaricus have same ingredients as mycelium but in very different concentration. Some other ones like aurucularia have almost no different concentrations in fruitbodies as in mycelium . You have all this to see in the light of dry weight  and same quantity.
If you have seen the monsters of fruitbodies produces by sparkle in Calocybe indica cultivation..itwill take a lot of mycelium to get to the same weight in mycelium
Some mushroom especially Amanita develop only their specific compounds(mostly poisonous for human beings)in their fruitbodies.
But a lot in this process is still unknown and not very well understood
In my specific case where i deal with tropical myshrooms there are more unknowns and much less well researched data

Invisiblelaughingsol
Dirt Farmer

Loc: The beautiful hills of Io...
Re: Eating mycelium [Re: chefinainteasy]
    #17197862 - 11/10/12 11:21 PM (9 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

chefinainteasy said:
since this post has gone to the moon from its original intent, does most if not all mycelium have the same nutritional value as its fruiting body? I know that in plants say tomatoes, nutrients such as lycopien are concentrated in its fruiting body. Does this hold true to fungi? Is it safe to assume that in the efforts for a lifeform to reproduce, it excretes enzymes, sugars, lipids, and the like that would otherwise not be found in its vegetative stage?

I am also interested in a little more in depth discussion of what medicinal properties are and are not found in the mycelium.  I think its safe to say that at least some secondary metabolites,which may or may not have medicinal properties, are found in significantly larger quantities in the fruitbodies.  I suppose the best known example of this is psilocin/psilocybin.  Are people here aware of specific examples of secondary metabolites with medicinal qualities?

I was recently reading in Fungal Morphogenesis that the concentration of some primary metabolites in the fruitbody can change as the fruitbody ages/develops and that the concentrations of metabolites can be different in the cap and the stem at the same stage in development.  In that respect, it becomes obvious that the mycelium will not have the same concentrations of all metabolites as can be found in a fruitbody.  But again, are there specific examples of metabolites with medicinal qualities and what knowledge can we get on the boards about their concentration in fruitbodies vs. mycelium?

This post http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/1764095#1764095 includes some good points about extractions, but I am interested in eating a whole product.

One last point- Beta-glucans have been identified as having potential medicinal effects.  I believe these are found in the cell wall or cellular membrane and should be readily available in the mycelium as well as the fruitbody.  Thoughts?

--------------------
Be Well, Be Blessed

Trade List

OfflineMycelio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Berlin Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Eating mycelium [Re: laughingsol]
    #17200514 - 11/11/12 01:00 PM (9 years, 27 days ago)

For the common medicinal species, there are lots of published studies, dealing with LCs and showing nice diagrams of the buildup of secondary metabolites over time.

Generally, you will find everything, which is in the mycelium in higher concentrations in the fruitbodies. As fungi don't have a vascular system, they just pump their cell liquids into the fruitbodies and evaporate water there. I'm pretty sure, nothing flows back.

Carsten

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder