Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OfflineRonaldFuckingPaul
Our Dear Leader
Male User Gallery

Loc: Straight Outta Compton Flag
Suicide booths
    #17156422 - 11/03/12 11:09 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Would society benefit from suicide booths?  I'm talking about the theoretical device featured on the TV show Futurama.  Basically you pay 50 cents to enter the booth.  The booth fills with pure Carbon Monoxide and you die in a minute peacefully with an 100% success rate.  What would be the pros and cons of this?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNJJXIII
Stoner
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Suicide booths [Re: RonaldFuckingPaul]
    #17156445 - 11/03/12 11:17 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

That wouldnt be too shaby if i do say so myself. with The bullshit that comes with this life that is controled by the government and all the dumb people who make it shittier, having an early safe way out would be a nice thought to keep in the back of your mind. The cons in my oponion would be the dumb people and governemnt interveening. But theirs nothing wrong with that idea in my opinion.

--------------------

OfflineRonaldFuckingPaul
Our Dear Leader
Male User Gallery

Re: Suicide booths [Re: NJJXIII]
    #17156467 - 11/03/12 11:22 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

NJJXIII said:
That wouldnt be too shaby if i do say so myself. with The bullshit that comes with this life that is controled by the government and all the dumb people who make it shittier, having an early safe way out would be a nice thought to keep in the back of your mind. The cons in my oponion would be the dumb people and governemnt interveening. But theirs nothing wrong with that idea in my opinion.

Every suicide booth would have at least one trained sniper to kill people who try to shut it down.

--------------------

Invisiblejboredone
Money-The root of all evil....
 User Gallery

#17156477 - 11/03/12 11:26 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

So the snipers would probably shoot me for throwing you into the booth?

--------------------
Peace Pot Micro-Dot God Loves You High or Not!!!
In order to grow old and wise, you must once have been young and dumb!

OfflineRonaldFuckingPaul
Our Dear Leader
Male User Gallery

Re: Suicide booths [Re: jboredone]
    #17156492 - 11/03/12 11:29 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

jboredone said:
So the snipers would probably shoot me for throwing you into the booth?

Yes, they would make sure the people who enter the booth would want it's services.  If you would try to push me in then the sniper would blow your head off.

--------------------

Offlinelolwut
bad motherfucker

Loc: back in black
    #17156496 - 11/03/12 11:31 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

The only problem is people would learn to run away from their problems instead of manning up. They would have a bad day at work or their girlfriend would leave them and they would go commit suicide.

--------------------
Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth, and taste...

:haha:

OfflineRonaldFuckingPaul
Our Dear Leader
Male User Gallery

Re: Suicide booths [Re: lolwut]
    #17156499 - 11/03/12 11:31 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

lolwut said:
The only problem is people would learn to run away from their problems instead of manning up. They would have a bad day at work or their girlfriend would leave them and they would go commit suicide.

Natural selection.:cool:

--------------------

Offlineblessed

Loc: ation: Tasmania Flag
    #17156519 - 11/03/12 11:40 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

RonaldFuckingPaul said:
Would society benefit from suicide booths?  I'm talking about the theoretical device featured on the TV show Futurama.  Basically you pay 50 cents to enter the booth.  The booth fills with pure Carbon Monoxide and you die in a minute peacefully with an 100% success rate.  What would be the pros and cons of this?

Hello RonaldFuckingPaul :smile:

The biggest problem i see with this idea?

We all have our good and bad days, now if someone was having the worst day of their life and made use of such a booth, They could be robbing themselves of the joys still to come.

it's like saying that because i failed, i will die

but isn't it true that most successful people, have become successful because of the lessons they learned from the mistakes and tough times they faced.

So no, i don't think it's a good idea. And i say this even though i don't want to live!!!!

InvisibleVore

Re: Suicide booths [Re: blessed]
    #17156539 - 11/03/12 11:44 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I'd be okay with euthanasia carried out by a doctor for people over 18 after a long filing process, but not something you could do on a whim.

OfflineRonaldFuckingPaul
Our Dear Leader
Male User Gallery

Re: Suicide booths [Re: blessed]
    #17156543 - 11/03/12 11:45 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

blessed said:
Quote:

RonaldFuckingPaul said:

Hello RonaldFuckingPaul :smile:

The biggest problem i see with this idea?

We all have our good and bad days, now if someone was having the worst day of their life and made use of such a booth, They could be robbing themselves of the joys still to come.

it's like saying that because i failed, i will die

but isn't it true that most successful people, have become successful because the mistakes and tough times they faced.

So no, i don't think it's a good idea. And i say this even though i don't want to live!!!!

It's their fault then.  So you would restrict suicide booths because someone would decide to make a dumb choice?

--------------------

OfflineRonaldFuckingPaul
Our Dear Leader
Male User Gallery

Re: Suicide booths [Re: Vore]
    #17156547 - 11/03/12 11:46 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Vore said:
I'd be okay with euthanasia carried out by a doctor for people over 18 after a long filing process, but not something you could do on a whim.

Why not?  People kill themselves on a whim all the time.

--------------------

InvisibleVore

#17156557 - 11/03/12 11:49 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Because it would make impulsive suicide 'okay.'
It's not a value I would like our society to espouse.

OfflineRonaldFuckingPaul
Our Dear Leader
Male User Gallery

#17156568 - 11/03/12 11:53 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Vore said:

Would you prefer an impulsive suicider to blow their head off with a shotgun or jump off a building and become a pancake?  People will impulsively commit suicide no matter what.  Might as well make it clean and painless.

--------------------

InvisibleVore

#17156594 - 11/04/12 12:01 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

People will impulsively commit suicide no matter what.

Social norms play a big difference in suicide rates.
Japan has had a history of suicide, E.G. seppku, harakiri, kamakazi and the rates of suicide show it.

In The Tipping Point, Malcolm Gladwell pointed out after some famous Micronesian prince committed suicide, suicide rates among young males went up (especially after lost love, like the prince).

Facts could be a little fudgey on the last one, but that's mostly right.

OfflinexFrockx
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast
    #17156611 - 11/04/12 12:05 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

If you think the world sucks now just think of who would be left.

Offlineblessed

Loc: ation: Tasmania Flag
Re: Suicide booths [Re: Vore] * 1
    #17156620 - 11/04/12 12:06 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I agree with Vore, it doesn't say much for mankind if this is the way we think;

"Having a bad day? then why not just kill yourself, and if you do it on Tuesdays it's half price :thumbup:"

We ( the human race ) have a major problem if this is the way we look at ourselves :thumbdown::thumbdown:

As for the people that are gonna kill themselves, maybe it's better that's there's no super easy option. if they really want to? then nothings gonna stop them.

It's just not a good idea imo, to make it so damn easy.

Wouldn't it be better for mankind to collectively solve the reasons why people take their lives?

Answer: it cost too much to fix. lets instead become filthy rich, own to many useless possessions, get fat, lazy, and super selfish!!!!

it's all about the money, that's all this world cares about imo :frown:

Edited by blessed (11/04/12 12:12 AM)

InvisibleVore

Re: Suicide booths [Re: blessed] * 1
    #17156647 - 11/04/12 12:11 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

:thumbup:

All we can do is our part.

InvisibleWhite Beard

Re: Suicide booths [Re: xFrockx]
    #17159659 - 11/04/12 01:39 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

xFrockx said:
If you think the world sucks now just think of who would be left.

:omgz:

OfflineJacksonMetaller
Stranger

#17159806 - 11/04/12 02:03 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

RonaldFuckingPaul said:
Quote:

Vore said:

Would you prefer an impulsive suicider to blow their head off with a shotgun or jump off a building and become a pancake?  People will impulsively commit suicide no matter what.  Might as well make it clean and painless.

While I agree with your pro choice stance the idea of blowing my head off with a shotgun or flattening into a pancake and possibly surviving are what's kept me from suicide all these years and I'm damn glad. I have pretty shifty emotional swings and when I'm down it can get ugly. I start acting impulsively with no foresight. When I'm calm the idea that I can act like that terrifies me. Probably the biggest reason I'll never own a handgun even though I really want to. So yeah I couldn't get behind this idea personally though I think there should be options for those who are really suffering mentally/physically

OfflineMorphinTime
Tulpa
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Angel Grove
    #17159851 - 11/04/12 02:11 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I'm all for suicide booths, like the one portrayed in Futurama.

--------------------

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #17159863 - 11/04/12 02:13 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I'd be okay with euthanasia carried out by a doctor for people over 18 after a long filing process, but not something you could do on a whim

Because mommy knows best and what you think should run your life should also run mine, right? Even if I don't agree.

That non-thinking is why cannabis is still illegal.

People who want drugs will get drugs. And people who want to die will find a way. By telling people that you know better and foisting your will on them through legislation of your personal morality on everyone, all you do is create the harm you're trying to stop.

Take a look at this. The good part starts around 7:00. It's what happens when obnoxious people who think they can force their will on others pass anti-suicide laws. This poor guy tried to kill himself in the only unreliable way available to him. Because he couldn't afford to travel to a country with sane laws like Switzerland where assisted suicide is legal.

Edit: link fixed.

InvisibleVore

Re: Suicide booths [Re: Diploid]
    #17160759 - 11/04/12 04:53 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Dead link.

I don't think it's a stretch to imagine there are benefits to sharing decision-making, especially as a child. Children are dumb and uneducated.

My outlook on drugs is nearly identical to my outlook on suicide, as well, and it's not non-thinking. I've clearly laid out the reasons for why I believe what I do.

Although I can't see your link, it's irrelevant. I would give that person the option and a professional means to do it.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
    #17160831 - 11/04/12 05:04 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I don't think it's a stretch to imagine there are benefits to sharing decision-making, especially as a child. Children are dumb and uneducated.

Nobody is talking about child suicide. At least I'm not. I'm talking about aware and oriented fully consenting adults.

My outlook on drugs is nearly identical to my outlook on suicide... I've clearly laid out the reasons for why I believe what I do.

I don't take issue with what you believe and don't really give a shit why you believe dumb things.

What I take issue with is that you think your beliefs should govern my life. They shouldn't and no "reasons" you can give will justify foisting your way on me or anyone else who doesn't see things your way.

It's no different than other self-righteous do gooders who think they're doing me a favor by locking me in a government cage with a murderer so I don't hurt myself smoking a plant.

It's fucked up. Look around you. Almost all the problems in this world stem from assholes forcing rules on others who don't agree and aren't hurting anyone who doesn't want to be.

It's their fucking body to shoot meth into or walk into a suicide booth if they want to. Not yours.

Link fixed so you can see what happens when legal suicide is not available to the desperately suffering.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

InvisibleVore

#17160881 - 11/04/12 05:13 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

It's because I don't craft my ideas about how they effect Diploid, I craft them around how they effect most people. We live in an interdependent universe, as much as you'd like to be free and independent you are not, and probably won't ever be.

I care about "idiots," and I care about their parents. If you don't that's fine, but it won't effect my stance. Good to keep in mind, though.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
    #17160956 - 11/04/12 05:25 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

It's because I don't craft my ideas about how they effect Diploid

No but if you had your way, you would force your ideas ON Diploid, whether he agrees or not.

I care about "idiots," and I care about their parents

That's a load of self-serving bullshit.

If you cared about people, you would not stand in the way of someone suffering so badly that they want to end their life.

This crap of thinking you're better than the rest and your way is THE way is why I hate my species so much. If I had a button I could press to destroy this entire fucking miserable planet and the shithole species that almost all humans are, I would press it in a heartbeat. The universe would be a better place for our destruction.

You sound like the Taliban.

If there is justice in the universe, people who think this way will all get a horrible disease some day and be forced to live in unspeakable misery for 20 years before finally dying naturally.

--------------------
Republican Values:

3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
    #17161021 - 11/04/12 05:33 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

If there is justice in the universe, people who think this way will all get a horrible disease some day and be forced to live in unspeakable misery for 20 years before finally dying naturally.

Does baldness count?

--------------------

InvisibleVore

#17161067 - 11/04/12 05:39 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

This crap of thinking you're better than the rest and your way is THE way is why I hate my species so much.

Who doesn't? But I'm glad to be part of a cooperative voting community where it doesn't solely rest on my judgment. I recognize my limitations, and if the crowd doesn't agree with me, well that's okay.

I think America's suicide legislation is too firm and I think your desire to not have suicide legislation is too lax, and I'll put my charge in where it fits, fair and square, and leave it to that.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
    #17161087 - 11/04/12 05:42 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

But I'm glad to be part of a cooperative voting community where it doesn't solely rest on my judgment

More FUCKED UP non-thinking. The majority is often wrong.

If the community voted to bring back slavery, we should. :flowstone:

I think America's suicide legislation is too firm and I think

"I think I think I think I think"

Good for you. I don't give a fuck what you think. I give a fuck when you think you can force it on me.

--------------------
Republican Values:

Offlineusulpsychonaut
Male

Loc: Northland, New Zealand. Flag
    #17161373 - 11/04/12 06:19 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Yes, very good but also free sex and drugs booths would be good too.

InvisibleVore

#17161480 - 11/04/12 06:37 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Diploid said:
Good for you. I don't give a fuck what you think. I give a fuck when you think you can force it on me.

These are only opinions, you can only think them. Not know them. :crazy2:

Time to pull out the manual... brb.

InvisibleVore

#17161504 - 11/04/12 06:41 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Diploid said:
    But I'm glad to be part of a cooperative voting community where it doesn't solely rest on my judgment

More FUCKED UP non-thinking. The majority is often wrong.

If the community voted to bring back slavery, we should. :flowstone:

Quote:

Straw Man (Fallacy Of Extension)

Attacking an exaggerated or caricatured version of your opponent's position. For example, the claim that "evolution means a dog giving birth to a cat."

Another example: "Senator Jones says that we should not fund the attack submarine program. I disagree entirely. I can't understand why he wants to leave us defenseless like that."

On the Internet, it is common to exaggerate the opponent's position so that a comparison can be made between the opponent and Hitler.

... you would force your ideas ON Diploid, whether he agrees or not.

Yes, I would make Diploid file for suicide. I know it's an inconvenience, but I don't want you to make any hasty decisions :wink:

You sound like the Taliban.

What does the Taliban sound like? I didn't know they made people file for suicide. Can you point out a speech where they advocate for that?

Invisibleliquidlounge

#17161588 - 11/04/12 06:52 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Vore said:
I care about "idiots," and I care about their parents. If you don't that's fine, but it won't effect my stance. Good to keep in mind, though.

:facepalm:

One would expect newbies to have atleast some sort of a standard in places like these.

--------------------
As far as I assume to know...

InvisibleVore

Re: Suicide booths [Re: liquidlounge]
    #17161734 - 11/04/12 07:22 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

One would expect his fellow debaters to remember his name, especially if they've exchanged rates.

You've lost a memory. :heart:

Invisibleliquidlounge

#17161745 - 11/04/12 07:24 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

How could i forget someone that write such wise words...

--------------------

InvisibleVore

#17161756 - 11/04/12 07:26 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

So liquidlounge, what defines a "newbie"?

Invisibleliquidlounge

#17161770 - 11/04/12 07:27 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Vore said:
So liquidlounge, what defines a "newbie"?

Someone in the very beginning of gaining insight, atleast trying.

--------------------

InvisibleVore

#17161786 - 11/04/12 07:31 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I tend to go with the first definition in Urban:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=newbie

It doesn't matter how one has changed, just how long they've been there.

Invisibleliquidlounge

#17161834 - 11/04/12 07:40 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Newbie originally mean new beginner.

Listen to this, read my latest posts and be quiet:

--------------------

InvisibleVore

#17161848 - 11/04/12 07:43 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

A dog barks loudly in the night.

Oh man, enlightenment is hilarious.

Invisibleliquidlounge

#17161876 - 11/04/12 07:48 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17158914#17158914

Let me guess, you have nothing to show in return.

--------------------

InvisibleVore

#17161892 - 11/04/12 07:52 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Off-topic, :pm: sent.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom