Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
War on Christmas organizing thread. * 2
    #17149856 - 11/02/12 07:05 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Break out the shovels, and start digging in.  It's time for the War on Christmas!

Every year around this time I try and oppress Christians by wishing them "happy holidays" and not throwing a fit when a store clerk doesn't presume to know my religion and merely says "happy holidays" to me upon entering or leaving the store.

This year I'm thinking we could oppress Christians by trying to have religious-neutral policies in place for public land use.  Either no religious displays or some equal standard that grants equal consideration to all religious displays- only for public lands, of course.

This is all well and good, but I feel we need to ramp up the hostilities.  Who has marching orders?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: War on Christmas organizing thread. [Re: johnm214] * 1
    #17149896 - 11/02/12 07:14 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

March off a cliff and let the fuckers have their party in peace.  I cannot be bothered to give a shit about this nonsense, either.

--------------------

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: War on Christmas organizing thread. [Re: zappaisgod]
    #17150107 - 11/02/12 07:50 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
March off a cliff and let the fuckers have their party in peace.  I cannot be bothered to give a shit about this nonsense, either.

You'll be grouped with the enemy when the hostilities begin.  Allready I'm organizing a whole army of people to say "happy holidays".  It will be merciless.

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: War on Christmas organizing thread. [Re: johnm214]
    #17150176 - 11/02/12 08:02 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

johnm214 said:
Break out the shovels, and start digging in.  It's time for the War on Christmas!

Every year around this time I try and oppress Christians by wishing them "happy holidays" and not throwing a fit when a store clerk doesn't presume to know my religion and merely says "happy holidays" to me upon entering or leaving the store.

This year I'm thinking we could oppress Christians by trying to have religious-neutral policies in place for public land use.  Either no religious displays or some equal standard that grants equal consideration to all religious displays- only for public lands, of course.

This is all well and good, but I feel we need to ramp up the hostilities.  Who has marching orders?

Man, I tried this a few years ago and it didn't go over so well... Lemme try to dig up the thread...

Edit:  Wow, it was a lot longer ago than I thought.  Here it is:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5081958#5081958

InvisibleNot Quite Social
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: War on Christmas organizing thread. [Re: ChuangTzu]
    #17150238 - 11/02/12 08:15 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

This Machine Kills Fascists

... and an early Merry Christmas to you, John!

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #17150259 - 11/02/12 08:20 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ChuangTzu said:
Quote:

johnm214 said:

Man, I tried this a few years ago and it didn't go over so well... Lemme try to dig up the thread...

Edit:  Wow, it was a lot longer ago than I thought.  Here it is:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5081958#5081958

Interesting thread.

So, did you find anyone who could plug you in with the right people?  I'm beginning to doubt treating religious displays of all faiths as having equal right to public land and wishing people happy holidays is actually going to destroy the faith of devout christians. As you noted, they do seem pretty terrified of these tactics, but I don't think we're going to win with them.

I'm kind of worried, our side in this war doesn't seem to be very well organized.  Who exactly do I sign up with?

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #17150325 - 11/02/12 08:31 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

johnm214 said:
So, did you find anyone who could plug you in with the right people?  I'm beginning to doubt treating religious displays of all faiths as having equal right to public land and wishing people happy holidays is actually going to destroy the faith of devout christians. As you noted, they do seem pretty terrified of these tactics, but I don't think we're going to win with them.

I'm kind of worried, our side in this war doesn't seem to be very well organized.  Who exactly do I sign up with?

I found our side rather vacuous as a matter of fact.  I started to think I might be the only one in existence.  Maybe now, 7 years later, our number might have grown to a critical mass ripe and ready to organize?  Let me know if you find the underground safe room where I can pick up a few dozen kwanzaa stickers (they hate that too right??).

Edited by ChuangTzu (11/02/12 08:38 PM)

InvisibleNot Quite Social
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
    #17150508 - 11/02/12 09:03 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Chaung said , "I found our side rather vacuous."

:yesnod:

I really, really, really couldn't agree with you more.  :super:

--------------------

Invisiblesetb
10th level beer nerd
Re: War on Christmas organizing thread. [Re: Not Quite Social]
    #17150545 - 11/02/12 09:09 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Christmas is more than just a religious thing, it's also rooted in our culture. There is the "religious" aspect of Christmas and the "secular" aspects of Christmas.

The "secular" aspects of Christmas include things such as: Christmas tress, parties, and general winter cheer. They have absolutely nothing to do with religion. Well, now that I think of it, it's really the "American" religion, you know: advertizing and commercialization.

Still, it's fun, especially when you consider how grey, cold, and shitty winters are here.

edit: Ok, fuck Christmas music. Unless it is something new and interesting and not the same old crap I've heard for years.

Edited by setb (11/02/12 09:12 PM)

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

#17150940 - 11/02/12 10:45 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

This is a traditional Bill O' Rile Em Up seasonal ratings special.

Well isn't that special?

I don't think even he believes it. I mean, when I say "Happy Holidays" I'm not excluding Christmas, I'm including..ah fuck it.

I've wasted too much time on this bullshit already.

Someone needs to land a slobber knocker on Billy so that he understands what being on the receiving end of a bully means.

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: War on Christmas organizing thread. [Re: zorbman]
    #17151939 - 11/03/12 06:11 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

>  I'm beginning to doubt treating religious displays of all faiths as having equal right to public land and wishing people happy holidays is actually going to destroy the faith of devout christians.

I donno... a good FSM display with pirates, iced kegs, and topless dancers might save some of those poor Christians from their path of damnation- stale beer, and STD infested strippers.  After the storm on the East Coast, perhaps a few more Christians will be able to see the horror that their mistaken beliefs cause upon others.  Ramen.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #17152247 - 11/03/12 08:42 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
>  I'm beginning to doubt treating religious displays of all faiths as having equal right to public land and wishing people happy holidays is actually going to destroy the faith of devout christians.

I donno... a good FSM display with pirates, iced kegs, and topless dancers might save some of those poor Christians from their path of damnation- stale beer, and STD infested strippers.  After the storm on the East Coast, perhaps a few more Christians will be able to see the horror that their mistaken beliefs cause upon others.  Ramen.

Yes, He's been getting angry, but I'm sure we'll hear more excuses than ever about how this is just something that happens on planets with turbulent weather systems.

Really, you don't need to look at anything more than this to see that this was His work:

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/10/24/hurricane-sandy-new-england-likely-to-feel-some-effects/

Quote:

setb said:
Christmas is more than just a religious thing, it's also rooted in our culture. There is the "religious" aspect of Christmas and the "secular" aspects of Christmas.

The "secular" aspects of Christmas include things such as: Christmas tress, parties, and general winter cheer. They have absolutely nothing to do with religion. Well, now that I think of it, it's really the "American" religion, you know: advertizing and commercialization.

Most of the Christmas stuff people think about is actually heretical.  Cromwell in England and the Puritans in the US/colonies actually banned these Christmas traditions as pagan heresies.

Quote:

ChuangTzu said:
Quote:

johnm214 said:

I found our side rather vacuous as a matter of fact.  I started to think I might be the only one in existence.  Maybe now, 7 years later, our number might have grown to a critical mass ripe and ready to organize?  Let me know if you find the underground safe room where I can pick up a few dozen kwanzaa stickers (they hate that too right??).

I don't know about the Kwanza thing.  I do know they seem to hate it when religious displays other than their own are on public lands, so maybe if you put up that Kwanza sticker in the town square you'll put them on guard.

But I tend to agree with you- I'm begining to wonder whether this whole "War on Christmas" thing actually exists.  I can't find a recruiter anywhere :sad:

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

#17152421 - 11/03/12 09:29 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Wow, you guys really hate to see people have a good time that much huh?

People are gonna call it christmas. It's a time for getting drunk and on drugs with your friends.

--------------------

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: War on Christmas organizing thread. [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #17152431 - 11/03/12 09:33 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I call it Christmas and observe it and I hate Christianity.  When I was raised a Christian we were forbidden from Christmas because its pagan, materialistic and not in the bible.  Three reason I now love to celebrate Christmas for.

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: War on Christmas organizing thread. [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #17152445 - 11/03/12 09:36 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

You might not understand where this thread is coming from if you're in the UK (which you are if I recall correctly).  In the US there are regular announcements on TV, radio, and cable about the "War on Christmas" starting around now and lasting till the season's over.  We have organized gangs of people who yell at store clerks who say "Happy Holidays!" and boycott as a result.  We have pundits and hosts going on about how its an attack on Christmas to ask a city to put up a Mennorah or something next to the creche. 

Personally i say merry christmas and don't really care one way or the other what someone says to me, I just think its absurd that people do care and make it such a clusterfuck every year.  I'm exactly the kind of person who is supposedly waging this war on christmas according to these sorts, and I'm pretty baffled.

Quote:

DieCommie said:
I call it Christmas and observe it and I hate Christianity.  When I was raised a Christian we were forbidden from Christmas because its pagan, materialistic and not in the bible.  Three reason I now love to celebrate Christmas for.

Do you mind if I ask what denomination that was? 

OfflineBjorn_Stormcrow
The Farfarer.
Male

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: War on Christmas organizing thread. [Re: DieCommie]
    #17152532 - 11/03/12 09:57 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I've always taken personal offense at people who call it Christmas. It is a stolen pagan holiday, some jewish cunt who got his ass nailed to a stick has nothing at all to do with it. so I try and fight christmas at all turns.

I celebrate Yule every year with some of my closest friends, we have a Yule tree, exchange some small gifts, drink copious amounts of mead then sing and probably have at least one sword fight, as ya do.

Quote:

DieCommie said:

If you are going to use those reasons to celebrate it then don't use the bastardized christian name for it. Call it by its proper name of Yule.

--------------------
Live Mythically

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: War on Christmas organizing thread. [Re: Bjorn_Stormcrow]
    #17152544 - 11/03/12 09:59 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I call it what its called.  I see no reason to play games with definitions.  Yule is no more proper than christmas or any of the other names it has.  In fact, its less proper.

OfflineBjorn_Stormcrow
The Farfarer.
Male

#17152613 - 11/03/12 10:13 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
I call it what its called.  I see no reason to play games with definitions.  Yule is no more proper than christmas or any of the other names it has.  In fact, its less proper.

How is it less proper? It was called yule LONG before the name christmas even existed, in fact it was likely called Yule before this jesus kid was ever born in the first place.

So please, explain to me how it is less proper to call a holiday by its original proper name than it is to use a bastardized term created by christians trying to shoe-horn their god into other peoples religious practices?

--------------------
Live Mythically

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: War on Christmas organizing thread. [Re: Bjorn_Stormcrow] * 1
    #17152660 - 11/03/12 10:20 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

explain to me how it is less proper to call a holiday by its original proper name

No, I'm saying its original name is not proper.  You are begging the question here... 

Appealing to centuries old language is not proper English.  Modern language is proper.  You are just using that word to be ornery, you know that most people dont use it and its ancient meaning is no longer applied.

Quote:

than it is to use a bastardized term created by christians trying to shoe-horn their god into other peoples religious practices?

And you are claiming that 'Yule' does not do that?  lol  Yes, Yule is a 'pure' term that has not evolved from any other religious practice.  :rolleyes:  Give me a break.  You are just being ornery, there is no logic to your claim here.

OfflineBjorn_Stormcrow
The Farfarer.
Male

#17152712 - 11/03/12 10:31 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
Quote:

explain to me how it is less proper to call a holiday by its original proper name

No, I'm saying its original name is not proper.  You are begging the question here... 

Appealing to centuries old language is not proper English.  Modern language is proper.  You are just using that word to be ornery, you know that most people dont use it and its ancient meaning is no longer applied.

Quote:

than it is to use a bastardized term created by christians trying to shoe-horn their god into other peoples religious practices?

And you are claiming that 'Yule' does not do that?  lol  Yes, Yule is a 'pure' term that has not evolved from any other religious practice.  :rolleyes:  Give me a break.  You are just being ornery, there is no logic to your claim here.

Yule was the original holiday, the one that Christianity co-opted. The decorated tree was a yule tradition, as was the exchanging of gifts, as was the... dun dun dun... yule log.

Pretty much yule is what we would today recognize as christmas only without some cosmic god child and without the fat man in a red suit.
So for those who do not follow christian ideology what is wrong with celebrating the holiday the way it was originally celebrated without the shoe-horned trappings and without the bastardized name.

I would understand your argument if the word itself had changed its meaning over time. for example if you insisted on calling a bundle of sticks a faggot. however that is not the case, the word Yule has referred to the pagan midwinter festival and always has had the same meaning.

--------------------
Live Mythically

InvisibleDieCommie

#17152738 - 11/03/12 10:36 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Why do you think Yule was original?  That is a bold claim.  Every religious freak thinks their traditions are original, but they are wrong.  All their traditions are born out of earlier ones.  You should read the wikipedia on it, dont take what you know about it on faith alone.

I dont observe Yule, I observe Christmas in a pagan way.  Its a pagan tradition revolving around myth, materialism, decoration and season.

OfflineBjorn_Stormcrow
The Farfarer.
Male

#17152785 - 11/03/12 10:46 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Yule or Yuletide ("Yule time") is a religious festival observed by the historical Germanic peoples and some neighboring peoples, before later being absorbed into, and equated with, the Christian festival of Christmas. The earliest references to Yule are by way of indigenous Germanic month names (Ærra Jéola (Before Yule) or Jiuli and Æftera Jéola (After Yule). Scholars have connected the celebration to the Wild Hunt, the god Odin, and the pagan Anglo-Saxon Modranicht.

Wikipedia, first page... If the holiday was the indigenous holiday that was latter "absorbed into and equated with" christmas then obviously it came first.

When you factor in that Christianity at the time had a tendency to place the veneer of their own faith upon local religious customs in order to help with conversion (easter is another obvious example of this) then it makes it more than clear that the pagan holiday was the original and christianity just came in, slapt their divine brat onto it and called it theirs.

--------------------
Live Mythically

InvisibleDieCommie

#17152814 - 11/03/12 10:51 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Scholars have connected the celebration to the Wild Hunt, the god Odin, and the pagan Anglo-Saxon Modranicht.

Yea, I dont believe any of that stuff on the wiki you quoted.  So I have no reason to observe it.

Quote:

If the holiday was the indigenous holiday that was latter "absorbed into and equated with" christmas then obviously it came first.

No, it came before.  It obviously did not come first...

Quote:

When you factor in that Christianity at the time had a tendency to place the veneer of their own faith upon local religious customs in order to help with conversion (easter is another obvious example of this) then it makes it more than clear that the pagan holiday was the original and christianity just came in, slapt their divine brat onto it and called it theirs.

No it doesn't.  That logic does not follow.  If you actually read my posts instead of just repeating yourself you would know that I already confronted and rejected this claim.

OfflineBjorn_Stormcrow
The Farfarer.
Male

#17152854 - 11/03/12 10:59 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
Quote:

Scholars have connected the celebration to the Wild Hunt, the god Odin, and the pagan Anglo-Saxon Modranicht.

Yea, I dont believe any of that stuff on the wiki you quoted.  So I have no reason to observe it.

Quote:

If the holiday was the indigenous holiday that was latter "absorbed into and equated with" christmas then obviously it came first.

No, it came before.  It obviously did not come first...

Quote:

No it doesn't.  That logic does not follow.  If you actually read my posts instead of just repeating yourself you would know that I already confronted and rejected this claim.

Okay, well lets break it down then shall we, lets take all of the major facets of christmas and look at their origins.

Christmas tree - Germanic pagan Yule tree.
Gift giving - Germanic pagan (No other christian holiday has the same focus on the exchanging of gifts while it was a very very common practice among the ancient germanics)
Yule log - its in the name
Birth of Jesus - Christian influenced however jesus was NOT born in December, even the bible does not place his birth anywhere near that time.
Time spent with friends and family - Can apply to any religion.
Santa Clause - a slightly more modern addition popularized by coca-cola however came originally from the french/netherlands/germanic tradition of sinterklaas. those myths themselves having been linked back to Odin worship.

So... out of all the major facets that make up christmas, only one is definitavely christian with zero link back to the pagan yuletide festival, and even that one is rather forced as the date and time of year is completely wrong.

--------------------
Live Mythically

InvisibleDieCommie

#17152902 - 11/03/12 11:09 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

So what?  Thats all well known and none if it entails that I need to buck the system by calling christmas 'yule'.

The war on christmas is about the secularization and commercialization of christmans.  And I am all for that. I observe christmas like the japanese do.  They are not christian but they love christmas as much or more than any other nation.

All religions and festivals are evolved out of earlier ones.  All of them. (Yes, even the first ones.  Theres a zen riddle for ya)  Yule is not original.  I have no inclination to turn back the clock and replace a modern religious festival with an an ancient religious festival.  Sure, its a fun thing to do in a snarky way to remind everybody that traditions are evolving.  But to think that we are going to jump back to an ancient interpretation or even to think that changing the name to an ancient name has any real meaning or impact is stupid. 

Im not interested in Yule, Im interested in a modern secular christmas.  To the christians I say; thats right.  The atheists and other non-christians have it now and you cant have it back.  Traditions evolve and change and the past is the past.  Just like Yule is gone, evolved away and faded into the past so is your religious interpretation of christmas getting diluted and shifted each and every year.  :haha:

Offlineviktor
psychotechnician
Male User Gallery

Loc: New Zealand Flag
    #17155181 - 11/03/12 06:50 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

In Sweden they still call it Yule (Jul). There is no word for Christmas.

--------------------
"They consider me insane but I know that I am a hero living under the eyes of the gods."

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: War on Christmas organizing thread. [Re: viktor]
    #17155254 - 11/03/12 07:04 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

viktor said:
In Sweden they still call it Yule (Jul). There is no word for Christmas.

In Finnish it's similar: Joulu.

OfflineBjorn_Stormcrow
The Farfarer.
Male

#17155831 - 11/03/12 09:05 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Well obviously sweden and finland are completely wrong then because according to the all knowing diecommie. Yule is a dead holiday and should be swept under the carpet right along side a non-secular christmas just because he likes his version of a secular christmas better.

I stand by my original statement, if you take the christian trappings out of Christmas what you are left with is yule. Saying "secular christmas" instead is like calling orange juice a virgin screwdriver.

--------------------
Live Mythically

Edited by Bjorn_Stormcrow (11/03/12 09:08 PM)

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

#17155942 - 11/03/12 09:26 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I didn't feel like commenting the other night, but just wanted to put my two cents in.

This is feigned outrage on the part of people with an agenda. Saying "Happy Holidays" is inclusive, not exclusive. No one is disrespecting your faith. Your server, your retail store, etc. do not have the ability to read minds. They do not know if you are Christian, Jewish, etc. Hence this completely innocent phrase to cover all religions with holy days during this time period. I can think of at least three religious observances during the traditional Christmas holiday. This greeting also covers people who observe Christmas in a secular sense.

What this really is all about is some Christians not respecting other faiths. They want their pet beliefs to be honored, not those of others. They want to hear their favorite song on the radio to the exclusion of all others. Because they secretly doubt their own beliefs. Also misery loves company. They are our own homegrown milder version of the Taliban. They don't want to kill infidels (well most of them) -- they just want to surpress them and silence them.

It's the 21st century and people are still basically upright walking apes. Amazing.

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

Edited by zorbman (11/04/12 12:42 AM)

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: War on Christmas organizing thread. [Re: zorbman]
    #17155997 - 11/03/12 09:36 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

It's the 21st century and people are still basically upright walking apes. Amazing.

I guess Frank Z was right. :monkeydance:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Re: War on Christmas organizing thread. [Re: Icelander]
    #17156032 - 11/03/12 09:43 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:

And Robert Anton Wilson.

"Domesticated apes"

--------------------

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #17156219 - 11/03/12 10:16 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Ulfrick said:
Well obviously sweden and finland are completely wrong then because according to the all knowing diecommie. Yule is a dead holiday and should be swept under the carpet right along side a non-secular christmas just because he likes his version of a secular christmas better.

I stand by my original statement, if you take the christian trappings out of Christmas what you are left with is yule. Saying "secular christmas" instead is like calling orange juice a virgin screwdriver.

I dunno man.  Their xmas is almost exactly the same as ours, their language just maintains a word more closely related to an older name for the occasion in common use...

Invisibleelax420
Anal Destroyer
 User Gallery

#17156829 - 11/04/12 12:49 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:

I don't get it..........We are upright walking apes. What are we supposed to be invertebrate mollusk?

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

#17157622 - 11/04/12 05:58 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

johnm214 said:
You might not understand where this thread is coming from if you're in the UK (which you are if I recall correctly).  In the US there are regular announcements on TV, radio, and cable about the "War on Christmas" starting around now and lasting till the season's over.

Ah, furry muff. Here, the only people who don't like christmas are muslims and my token atheist friend (I'm tempted to buy him a bilingual koran) who I call it "annual gifts day" with him. And you know what? I'm happy calling it annual gifts day, cos it's got fuckall to do with Christmas.

Ah yes, because Jesus, in his Bethlehem stable, marveled at the LED lights on the plastic tannenbaum.

It's been the tradition in our house to have a christmas yucca, cos rather than clearing up pine needles or having a plastic tree, we dress up our Yucca.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: War on Christmas organizing thread. [Re: elax420]
    #17157894 - 11/04/12 07:59 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

elax420 said:
Quote:

Icelander said:

I don't get it..........We are upright walking apes. What are we supposed to be invertebrate mollusk?

That's the next step in evolution. :lol:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Edited by Icelander (11/04/12 08:00 AM)

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#17158147 - 11/04/12 08:59 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Humans are not apes.  They are hominids.  Humans are no more apes than apes are monkeys and monkeys are lemurs.

--------------------

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #17158651 - 11/04/12 10:37 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Humans are not apes.  They are hominids.  Humans are no more apes than apes are monkeys and monkeys are lemurs.

By definition, apes are all non-human hominids.  The non-inclusion of humans seems like a historical holdover from the humans are special era of science...

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #17158684 - 11/04/12 10:46 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I <3 Christmas.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #17159007 - 11/04/12 11:40 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ChuangTzu said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:

By definition, apes are all non-human hominids

Please back that up.  That's not what I've read.  Every source I've ever encountered, which is admitadly not much, has classed humans as apes.

Some make separate categories for non-human apes under various names, but I've not seen this regarding apes.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#17159258 - 11/04/12 12:22 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ChuangTzu said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:

By definition, apes are all non-human hominids.  The non-inclusion of humans seems like a historical holdover from the humans are special era of science...

Well I'll be damned, you're right.  Humans are hominins
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hominidae

However that link does say this:

Quote:

Many scientists, including paleoanthropologists, continue to use the term hominid to mean humans and their direct and near-direct bipedal ancestors.

As mentioned, Hominidae was originally the name given to humans and their extinct relatives, with the other great apes being placed in a separate family, the Pongidae.

Humans are special for a whole lot of reasons.

--------------------

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #17159271 - 11/04/12 12:25 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Well I'll be damned, you're right.

That's some signature material there...

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: War on Christmas organizing thread. [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #17159275 - 11/04/12 12:26 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I'm so ashamed.

--------------------

Invisiblegraffix87
ישו הוא האדון
 User Gallery

#17161334 - 11/04/12 06:14 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I hope you have a great Christmas this year john:smile:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates