Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Why was slavery abolished?
    #1713758 - 07/14/03 09:14 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I don't believe it was because northerners genuinely cared about african americans.

I think it was just another power game, though my history book fails to mention it.

thoughts?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Why was slavery abolished? [Re: Grav]
    #1713797 - 07/14/03 09:46 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

yeah man... to actually think that white people back then would care about black people at all? please... what a sham. all those abolitionist groups and such... they had a secret agenda for sure...

:wink:

i don't think so man. i'd be interested to see the kinds of theories people might cook up though... i do think that slavery was ended because enough people realized how terrible it was.

Invisibleiglou
enthusiast
    #1713818 - 07/14/03 10:05 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Slavery was pretext.

One reason was for the economic punishment for the south for wanting to break away from the North. The economic backbone of the south were the plantations, while the north was becoming more and more industrialized. How do you cripple the south? Destroy their economy.

Similar to contemporary pretexts as well - Sending troops and billions of dollars in aid to right-wing Colombia in order to "fight the war on drugs" and to "stop the leftist guerillas who smuggle cocaine."

Why is "the war on drugs come to Colombia" pretext? Well, it is widely known that the right-wing government/death squads smuggle just as much cocaine, if not more, than their leftist counterparts. US aid is simply exists to fight the guerillas and secure the natural-resource rich country of Colombia for the likes of Exxon-Mobil, Oxy Petro, Coca-Cola, etc. The US has chosen sides in the 30 year + Colombian civil war (lefist guerillas vs. rightwing Colombian government/death squads).

I suggest anyone who wants to examine US foreign policy to read up on Plan Colombia.

Edited by iglou (07/14/03 10:22 AM)

OfflineStatic
Can you hear menow?

Re: Why was slavery abolished? [Re: iglou]
    #1713832 - 07/14/03 10:11 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I can not imagine owning another human. the idea is wack!

--------------------
Astronauts get all the tang they want.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #1713871 - 07/14/03 10:32 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I agree, man. There had to be some kind of economic or political motive behind the abolition of slavery. Perhaps, tho, it may have simply been that most voters back then wanted slavery abolished and the politicians of the day were responding to public opinion.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1713989 - 07/14/03 11:36 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I've taken some pretty intense classes in college which really got down to the truth about slavery.

Regular high school books and probably most college books will not say much of a truth.

I took a class named "History of women of color in America". Lincoln didn't give a shit about slaves. It was purely economical and political.

After the civil war, when most of us believe it was abolished, is completely wrong. Lincoln, after winning the war just wanted slavery to be stopped sometime, he didnt actually stop it. He really didn't care.

People in the 1800's just didn't automatically think to themselves: "Oh, slavery is a baaaaad thing!".

We can use an example. If everyone who surrounds you loves Bush, you will most likely like him because you'll only hear the good things about him, and the skewed rhetoric.

In the late 1800s people for the most part thought blacks were meant to be slaves. They just didn't wake up one day and think it was a bad thing.

We are still living in a time where people are racist.... Like our government.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Why was slavery abolished? [Re: angryshroom]
    #1714003 - 07/14/03 11:40 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

If everyone who surrounds you loves Bush, you will most likely like him because you'll only hear the good things about him, and the skewed rhetoric.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHAHA

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Re: Why was slavery abolished? [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1714036 - 07/14/03 11:53 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I agree with Luvdem...the Idea that a group of people would actually love Bush and have good things to say about him is pretty laughable... :smirk:

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
Re: Why was slavery abolished? [Re: Rono]
    #1714061 - 07/14/03 12:03 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

*rim shot*

...but seriously folks :rolleyes:

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Why was slavery abolished? [Re: Rono]
    #1714074 - 07/14/03 12:05 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Nice try.

But to clarify for the Canoodians amoung us......

How many kids growing up listen to anything their parents have to say?

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisibleiglou
enthusiast
    #1714101 - 07/14/03 12:14 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

How many Christians are there?

Indoctrinatization and ideology are incredibly powerful.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1714103 - 07/14/03 12:16 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

iglou said:

Are you saying that Christians are so different that their kids believe everything their parents say?

I hope your not that silly.

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #1714109 - 07/14/03 12:20 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

i'm christian and i never listened to my parents growing up.

Also as a kicker, my parents are Baptist and i used to be a Catholic. i have a sister who's non-denomination and another 2 which are Lutheran and 3 others that aren't very religious. Explain that one to me. (BTW i have 6 sisters and no brothers).

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Edited by Innvertigo (07/14/03 12:25 PM)

Invisibleiglou
enthusiast
    #1714112 - 07/14/03 12:21 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Are you saying that Christians are so different that their kids believe everything their parents say?

Christianity is one example of many. Are Christians unique in their "bullshit-swallowing-and-peddling" than others? No. Plenty of others also never think past what their parents/family indoctrinate into their minds from the time of birth.

OfflineSlapnutRob
Toolhead

Loc: Michigan
Re: Why was slavery abolished? [Re: Innvertigo]
    #1714119 - 07/14/03 12:25 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

He's saying most Christians wouldn't be Christians if it weren't for their parents, which is 100% truth. Innvertigo, maybe you're an independent thinker who decided without parental influence that the world was created in 8 days. Most people just don't questions these ideas when it's crammed into their head from day one.

LDS, many people might not listen to most of what their parents say, but you know it's the truth that family is the biggest factor in political socialization. Libs tend to have libbie kiddies and cons tend to have connie kiddies.

--------------------
Anything stated above is fictional roleplay dialog by the character that is Slapnut Rob, in no way representing the actions or beliefs of the man behind the keys.

Invisibleiglou
enthusiast
Re: Why was slavery abolished? [Re: Innvertigo]
    #1714120 - 07/14/03 12:25 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Then where did your "Christian" belief system come from?

Religion is not the creation of the individual/unique thoughts, it is passed from generation to generation, family to family, peer to peer, etc like a meme.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1714122 - 07/14/03 12:27 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

iglou said:
Then where did your "Christian" belief system come from?

Religion is not the creation of the individual/unique thoughts, it is passed from generation to generation, family to family, peer to peer, etc like a meme.

If that was always the case, I wouldn't be an atheist.

Or is it only Cristians who are big enough chowderheads to believe everything they are told?

--------------------

OfflineSlapnutRob
Toolhead

Loc: Michigan
    #1714123 - 07/14/03 12:27 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Exactly... why do you think Muslims always have Muslims? Coincidence?

--------------------
Anything stated above is fictional roleplay dialog by the character that is Slapnut Rob, in no way representing the actions or beliefs of the man behind the keys.

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #1714124 - 07/14/03 12:27 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Quite a few. I listened to most of what my parents had to say.Not every parent is brainwashed lying fuck.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Why was slavery abolished? [Re: monoamine]
    #1714130 - 07/14/03 12:30 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

grandmasterfat said:
Quote:

Quite a few. I listened to most of what my parents had to say.Not every parent is brainwashed lying fuck.

Ah.... MOST. So you didn't always believe your parents.
So what happened? How is it you came to believe what gun control advocates tell you without question?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order