Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineecleanser
Stranger
Can everyone double check my procedure + help me out on q's
    #1713950 - 07/14/03 01:16 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Hay dudes, I heard this was the place to go for shroom growing related stuff, and since I will be invested about 40-50 bux in this, I want to make sure I have everything fine.

equipment: 12 1/2 pint jars with lids
Brown Rice Flour
Vermiculite
Pressure Cooker
Hammer/Nail
Sterile Syringe of Psilocybe Cubensis Spores
a shoebox
Disinfectant Lysol Spray
Perlite
Surgical Cloth Tape

Procedure: I'm going to take the 1/2 pint jars with lids, and using the Hammer/Nail, nail one hole into each lid in the middle of the lid. This will be my injection spot. I then mix 6 cups of Vermiculite, 3 Cups of Brown Rice Flour, and 3 cups of water in a huge mixing bowl. Fill each jar up to 3/4 of the way, then fill the remainder of the way with dry vermiculite (not from mixture). Screw the lid on tightly, then seal it on with surgical cloth tape, use another peice of Surgical cloth tape to tape the hole in the lid.
I will then place each jar into a pressure cooker and cook at 15 psi for 60 minutes. Let each jar cool overnight, then innoculate in the morning.
For the innoculation, I will take a shower before doing anything, scrubbing myself down with soap (OH NOES), then wearing freshly washed clothes. The shoebox will be sprayed with lysol disinfectant on all sides, and on the bottom to prevent bacteria in my innoculation 'chamber'. I will shake the spore syringe to get rid of any clumps of spores that may be sticking to the sides of it. I will then proceed to innoculate each jar with somewhere between .5 and 1.0 cc of spore fluid. I will also use a lighter to sterilize the needle after every plunge into every cake, allowing sufficient time for the needle to cool. I will keep the jars in a box in a drawer most likely, or in a box in my attic, where the temperature wont go above 90 degrees or below 80.
After The jars are fully colonized with Mycelial growth, I will transfer the cakes to either a rubbermaid bin or just a plastic containter with a layer of moist perlite on the bottom (for humidity).

Now is the part I need you guys' help. What type of container should I use to keep the cakes in, where can I find said container, and what do I need to do (i.e., take the top off to allow the heat to escape and not kill the mushrooms). I plan to keep the plastic container in the woods behind my house, not on my property, so I won't be able to check up on them more than once every 2 days or so, so tell me how I could grow them, while keeping them in the desired 75-85 degree temperature, and with a bit of light.

I'm using the 'Simple Cubensis Growing Technique' basically, if the guy left out anything of notice that I also am not aware of plz help.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
Re: Can everyone double check my procedure + help me out on q's [Re: ecleanser]
    #1713994 - 07/14/03 01:38 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

everything sounds good, your taking shower tek is a good idea. But I suggest that instead of one hole that you use a small diameter drill bit and drill four holes along the rim of the lid, being careful not to drill into the rubber seal. also, you said you were going to seal the jars with tape, you don't need or want to do this, just seal the holes with tape, and finger tighten the lids on then wrap the lids completely with heavy duty aluminum foil then PC as planned.

You don't need perlite for incubation. You can just place all the innoculated jars back into the original box (inside sprayed with lysol and lined with foil) and leave it in a warm spot. I place my box on top of a space heater set on low (1-2) It would be a little difficult trying to maintain proper incubating temps if you left them outside, unless you live in a very warm climate, and even then temp fluctuations could have an adverse effect. You also want to keep them in darkness while incubating.(I'm guessing you don't want to do invitro).

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

OfflineMykeOfile
stranger thanmost
Loc: behind the bookshelf
    #1714010 - 07/14/03 01:44 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Fill each jar up to 3/4 of the way, then fill the remainder of the way with dry vermiculite (not from mixture). , Fill them a little fuller than 3/4's with substrate, u only need bout an inch layer of dried verm. and u want the needle to make it into the substrate for innoculation, if you r clean and use lysol it isnt really necessary to flame the needle after every single plunge and its actually a pain in the ass , and stick the fruiter in ur closet not out side, much easier, otherwise it wont really be up to u whether r not the temp is right, and to get good as flushes they need air exchange, an air bubbler on a timer to come on for like 30min every couple of hr.s should be fine, or atleast fan it like twice a day

--------------------
u know it aint funny when u aint got no money and the clock strikes 420 and u wanna get high
~Kottonmouth Kings

Offlineecleanser
Stranger
Re: Can everyone double check my procedure + help me out on q's [Re: soochi]
    #1714098 - 07/14/03 02:13 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

"" You don't need perlite for incubation. You can just place all the innoculated jars back into the original box (inside sprayed with lysol and lined with foil) and leave it in a warm spot. I place my box on top of a space heater set on low (1-2) It would be a little difficult trying to maintain proper incubating temps if you left them outside, unless you live in a very warm climate, and even then temp fluctuations could have an adverse effect. You also want to keep them in darkness while incubating.(I'm guessing you don't want to do invitro). ""
oops, when I said use perlite I meant for the fruiting stage in the terrarium. I could use my attic as a warm spot, since this is Florida and the summertime, I could just leave it there in a box and let them pin and whatnot. I was thinking about letting them fruit in the outside in a cooler with perlite. (since they need light for fruiting, how could I make it so there's a hole for the light to get into, but also so no bugs/contaminants get into there and also so they don't overheat (as this is florida))

Offlineecleanser
Stranger
Re: Can everyone double check my procedure + help me out on q's [Re: MykeOfile]
    #1714105 - 07/14/03 02:18 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

""fruiter in ur closet not out side, much easier, otherwise it wont really be up to u whether r not the temp is right, and to get good as flushes they need air exchange, an air bubbler on a timer to come on for like 30min every couple of hr.s should be fine, or atleast fan it like twice a day""

The thing is, I can't just stick it in my closet (certain parental units who don't approve of growing a scheduled substance), I could go look to target for an air bubbler, but what should I ask the associate for? Just an air bubbler? I can't fan it cause ideally it won't be on my property.

And what would be the best fruiting terrarium for outside hot florida sun? I'm thinking just a cooler with perlite could work, but is sunlight really instrumental to growing mushrooms?

thanks for your help so far guys.

Offlinecyndyl
mycologist wannabe
Female

Loc: far away from home
Re: Can everyone double check my procedure + help me out on q's [Re: soochi]
    #1714106 - 07/14/03 02:18 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

soochi said:
everything sounds good, your taking shower tek is a good idea. But I suggest that instead of one hole that you use a small diameter drill bit and drill four holes along the rim of the lid ...

While I'd go with the 4 hole method in my limited experience I've found that using a nail instead of a drill is better because when I bring the drill bit back through the lid it makes a rough edge that prohibits a good seal with the tape. However, its really a very small point. I'm a beginner here to learn

--------------------

There's no such thing as a stupid question,
but they're the easiest to answer!

Offlinecyndyl
mycologist wannabe
Female

Loc: far away from home
    #1714114 - 07/14/03 02:23 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

ecleanser said:

The thing is, I can't just stick it in my closet (certain parental units who don't approve of growing a scheduled substance),
thanks for your help so far guys.

Not a good idea growing in someone else's home... If they want to grow shrooms in their house and be libel that's their choice, not yours!

Just a thought from someone who pays a mortgage payment....

--------------------

There's no such thing as a stupid question,
but they're the easiest to answer!

Offlineecleanser
Stranger
Re: Can everyone double check my procedure + help me out on q's [Re: cyndyl]
    #1714121 - 07/14/03 02:26 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

""Not a good idea growing in someone else's home... If they want to grow shrooms in their house and be libel that's their choice, not yours!

Just a thought from someone who pays a mortgage payment.... ""

my thoughts exactly, which is why I'm pretty set on actually fruiting them in the woods behind my home, it's fenced off from everyone but I climb the fence and have a secluded spot nobody goes to.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #1714552 - 07/14/03 04:02 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I will then place each jar into a pressure cooker and cook at 15 psi for 60 minutes. Let each jar cool overnight, then innoculate in the morning......................................................... I will then proceed to innoculate each jar with somewhere between .5 and 1.0 cc of spore fluid....I will keep the jars outside for a whole month............

okay
Quote:

What type of container should I use to keep the cakes in, where can I find said container, and what do I need to do I won't be able to check up on them more than once every 2 days or so

i'm guessing you don't have a pc yet. if not, you can steam them in a deep saucepan if you like -you can probably get a few in each time, so for 2 loads of 4 in a pan, say, that'd take about three hours. . you got a 10-12 cc syringe, right? to improve your chances, unless it's a nice dark syringe, i'd use no more than maybe 8 or so jars (it'll go to 12 jars easy if the syringe is purple rather than clear) and i'd recommend knocking a fifth hole in the jar centre for about 0.3cc per hole. they should fit in a small cardboard box in the corner of that field. maybe in a hole you dug in the ground?

you won't need to go back for about 3 weeks. go out every week or so if you have to, but keep the visits few and far between for the first 3 weeks. then you'll have those    jars of mycelium     you mentioned, and you'll be halfway there. people here on the boards will help you get fruits a month or so after that, if all goes okay. hope I was of some help  :heartpump:sk                 

--------------------
buh

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: Can everyone double check my procedure + help me out on q's [Re: shirley knott]
    #1715376 - 07/14/03 07:43 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

One thing I saw that you did not mention. Make sure you clean the rim of the jars before you put the dry verm in. Just use your finger to get most of it off, then take a damp paper towel to it. Any remnants of BRF can lead to contams.

OfflineMykeOfile
stranger thanmost
Loc: behind the bookshelf
Re: Can everyone double check my procedure + help me out on q's [Re: shakta]
    #1715570 - 07/14/03 08:43 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

okay, the air bubbler is for fish tanks, so just ask for a fish tank pump, some tubing and a filter stone, run the tube through the side on the tank , stick the filter stone on the end of it and drop it in a small glass of water/peroxide, and youre gonna need some sort of generator to plug it into so the parentals dont notice the extention cord running from the back of the house, and for temp, you could get a small AC unit from wal-mart for about $150, and i bet for another 50 or so you could get one with a temp sensor on it, just set up a little tent around all that, plug that bad boy in to your generator, and grow some damn shrooms,..............or maybe an outdoor tek might be better for growing outdoors

--------------------
u know it aint funny when u aint got no money and the clock strikes 420 and u wanna get high
~Kottonmouth Kings

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: Can everyone double check my procedure + help me out on q's [Re: MykeOfile]
    #1715829 - 07/14/03 09:49 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I'm with MykeOfile, why go to all of the trouble to grow outdoors, indoors style. You could do up your jars and then spawn an outdoor bed and get great results.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation