Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinetankster
Stranger
Growing outside... why the fancy techniques?
    #1712615 - 07/13/03 10:36 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I am wondering why one needs to apply fancy techniques when growing cubensis outside... for example, when one goes to pick naturally occuring cubensis, don't they just pop up all of their own accord on chips of cow dung? No special preparation was made of the cow chips for the natural cubensis.

That being the case, why can't one just buy some manure and put a pile of it outside - skipping all the hay, water, etc., steps described in the faqs - and spray a syringe of P. Cubensis spores on it? (Assuming one has a syringe from a supplier.) It would seem that even with outside contaminants, the spores would overwhelm everything else and the Cubensis would be the primary or only thing to grow.

In fact... if you are in an endemic area, why not just put some cow dung outside and wait to see if any shrooms appear?

I guess the answer will likely be, you get a better yield making a cake first, preparing hay, etc... but if one would simply like to get some shrooms, and doesn't need a lot, and would prefer to just get a bag of manure, dump it somewhere, spray with a syringe, and come back in a month to look for shrooms, is there any reason why this wouldn't work?

Thanks,

Tankster

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDatDaNK420
SeriousShroomage
Re: Growing outside... why the fancy techniques? [Re: tankster]
    #1712630 - 07/13/03 10:40 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Id say if you were to buy manure, crumble up some cakes ontop and put some manure on top maybe it would work. But thats just my 2 cents. Fuck if I know i've never done it.

Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
Re: Growing outside... why the fancy techniques? [Re: DatDaNK420]
    #1712739 - 07/13/03 11:26 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Straight from the FAQ

Q: Shrooms grow all by themselves in nature in zarking cow shit, why is sterility so important when growing them yourself?
A: In nature, there are 17 billion spores of all kinds of different shrooms flying around. As people who've been to a cow pasture will know, most patties will not have Psilocybes, they'll either have something completely different or nothing at all. But in a pasture, there's a lot of shit, and there's a lot of shrooms, so it's enough if 1/100 patties have the right kind.

Now, when you're growing them at home, if you sprinkle spores in each dish and don't give a shit about sterility, you'll have natural conditions and maybe every hundredth jar will get the right shrooms. Needless to say, this is not good, so you must push up the odds of the right shrooms growing by improving sterility.

Plus remember spores can't really defend themselves. So if you sprayed them on the poo, other more advanced fungi,bacteria,etc would be able to kill off the spores.

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

Offlinetankster
Stranger
Re: Growing outside... why the fancy techniques? [Re: cb9fl]
    #1712811 - 07/13/03 11:47 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

The quote above which is 'straight from the FAQ' is regarding growing them at home; I am actually talking about growing them outdoors, which is apparently less affected by the possibility of contaminants. I understand why one needs sterile conditions to grow them at home, given that the environment is more conducive to contaminants overwhelming the mixture. Because I knew that from the FAQs, I was proposing doing it outdoors without the fancy technqiues because of the following quote, also from one of the FAQs:

"But Moe! what about..............Contams?
Some fat hoe named Mother Nature gets all her microbes and UV rays in check to help us 'mushroom farmers' out. Mold/bacteria is mostly an indoor invader (mostly). Dont believe me? Toss a few slices of bread outside and see if it molds."

I would be curious to know the results of the experiment from someone who has tried what I describe... just pour a pile of dung somewhere and spray spores on it.

I understand that one's cubensis spores would be competing with other spores, but if you spray a syringe of spores on the dung, it would seem that numerically, the Cubensis spores would to a spectacular degree outnumber anything else on the dung.

For example, the FAQ quote cited by cb9fl above makes a rough estimate that 1/100 piles of dung in a wild pasture might have psilocybes growing on them. That being the case, we are starting out with a 1% chance of getting psilocybes just by placing the right kind of dung out in a pasture in an endemic area. If we take that one step further (a huge step), and coat the dung with a solution teeming with billions (?) of the correct type of spore, it would seem that the chance of the right kind of shroom starting to grow on the dung would be significant, should jump from 1% to some super high percentage... just guessing, but perhaps... >50% ??

Of course, this is just an armchair thought experiment. I am sure someone has tried this before... anyone care to post about what happened?

I am considering doing this myself. I would like to try growing some shrooms outdoors, but I don't have a pressure canner or other such fancy apparatus... but it would be easy for me to get a spore syringe and manure, then go on a field trip... if I am sufficiently motivated to put this plan into action, I will post about the result.

Tanks

Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
    #1712826 - 07/13/03 11:52 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I might be wrong but I don't think you'd have all spores competing with each other. You'd probably have other contaminants a lot further along in their life cycle. Probably at a point where they can much better defend themselves agains an invading contaminant (the pc spores).

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
Re: Growing outside... why the fancy techniques? *DELETED* [Re: tankster]
    #1713091 - 07/14/03 01:33 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Post deleted by Dreamer987

--------------------

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: Growing outside... why the fancy techniques? [Re: Dreamer987]
    #1713806 - 07/14/03 11:55 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Another point is that cube spores can germinate inside of a cows stomach (after the cow has eaten something with spores on it) because cows don't have stomach acid and the environment inside is to a certain extent sterile. Once the bomb is dropped there is (sometimes) already mycelium growing.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
Re: Growing outside... why the fancy techniques? [Re: Ekstaza]
    #1718250 - 07/15/03 03:19 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Sounds like time for Ekstaza's Cow Innoculation Tek.  :wink:

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

OfflineBatFly
captain obvious

Re: Growing outside... why the fancy techniques? [Re: Sev]
    #1718360 - 07/15/03 03:47 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

there ya go! buy a cow! won't have to worry bought mowing you back lawn anymore either! just start buy spraying some hay with spores, and feed it to it as a treat! then your lawn will be a self sufficient shroom field, you won't have to cut your grass, and you get an ugly pet also!

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Re: Growing outside... why the fancy techniques? [Re: BatFly]
    #1718388 - 07/15/03 03:55 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Who says cows are ugly??? :mad: :noway:

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

OfflineBatFly
captain obvious

#1718427 - 07/15/03 04:06 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

i just did ... duh
they smell too
but they make shrooms and milk and meat
so it's all good
and they fart alot of methane... that's kewl too

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Re: Growing outside... why the fancy techniques? [Re: BatFly]
    #1718432 - 07/15/03 04:08 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

OK, who else????

I think cows are gracefull looking and serene.

--------------------

OfflineShroomySmurf
Bangin'SmurfetteHardcore

#1718445 - 07/15/03 04:15 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Ugly? No opinion, but they've gotta be one of the LEAST intelligent mammals in existence today. Their pupose in life: feed other animals that actually HAVE intelligence. When I look at 'em, all I see is a walking T-bone with some tenderloins.

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
Re: Growing outside... why the fancy techniques? [Re: ShroomySmurf]
    #1718468 - 07/15/03 04:23 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Or a nice jacket.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Invisiblekoraks
    #1718476 - 07/15/03 04:25 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Cows? Ah, well, they're cute, aren't they? And I bet they're smart as hell too; Let all the humans do the work, and stay in the green fields lyin' around a bit, eating some, thinking about the meaning of life, extraterrestial intelligence and whatnot.
One more thing: everybody refers to the cow as an animal. This is incorrect. The cow actually isn't an animal but a _process_ that turns grass into milk and a waste product, poo.

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

#1718480 - 07/15/03 04:28 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ShroomySmurf said:
When I look at 'em, all I see is a walking T-bone with some tenderloins.

Quote:

Or a nice jacket.

These are a few of my favorite things.

--------------------

Offlineneutralizer
Spiritual beinghaving a Humanexperience
Loc: This Planet Earth
    #1718497 - 07/15/03 04:32 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Poor cows :frown:  Whose only purpose in life is to get fed, grow up, and then be slaughtered so people can consume your flesh :frown:  Did anyone else see the Faces of Death movie where the cows are slaughtered, they slit it's throat...Agh...I still cringe when I think of it.

Doesn't stop me from eating a nice fat steak, though =\

--------------------
There are things known, and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors - Morrison

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Re: Growing outside... why the fancy techniques? [Re: neutralizer]
    #1718507 - 07/15/03 04:34 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I think that cows enjoy their existance because they don't know what is to come. If they did know then they would be atacking farmers left and right.

--------------------

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #1718508 - 07/15/03 04:36 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Every time i come back to neglected poo; like a couple months or so, they're always growing something, I don't trust my judgement enough to try mysterious mushrooms that grow in a plastic bag (they're not cubensis) when there are better resources for getting fruits.

Go to a horse stable or cow pasture and they usually have piles of shit if front of their barns or near their gates on the side of the road. I've never tried spraying poo with spores, but I would think that givin that at least a couple will mature your chances for growing something are good. I've seeded a couple poo piles in my area with spent casings and cakes with very good results.

every time I have a spent casing or contaminated or spent cake, i just bury them under a tree, and almost always, fruits appear. If you pick the right time in the season you'll produce a decent flush, but I don't grow outdoors for fear of some neighbor or passerby finding out. I just let the squirrels have a great time.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

OfflineBatFly
captain obvious

#1718512 - 07/15/03 04:37 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

yes,  ignorance is bliss.
me, i'm an apathetic idiot...
i don't know and i don't care :grin:

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation