Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineProtester
Stoner ReekingHavok

Id help plz
    #1709914 - 07/12/03 11:06 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Found these today out in the woods near my house in West TN was wondering if any one could help me id them. They where all found growing in a mixture of decaying leaves and pine needels.
They show signs of blueing when bruised, and has no real smell. The lighting might be a little bad so the color of the cap is comparable to a red potato. The bigest one i found the steam was about 4 inches tall but curved abit and the cap was about 3 inches wide at the longest and 2 inches wide at the shortest point, the gill color is kinda like a butterscoth color. The smallest one was about an inch oval and the steam was about 2 inches tall

--------------------
I work my shitty 9-5 and I pay my taxes, I'm not hurting anybody else. So why do you care what i do in my spare time.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Id help plz [Re: Protester]
    #1710026 - 07/12/03 11:46 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Even with a little image processing I can't tell - do these mushrooms have gills, or is the underside of the cap more like a sponge?

To check for bruising, cut one in half vertically and scrape the inside with your knife edge. It can take up to an hour for some mushrooms to bruise.

Finally, get a spore print. If you're not sure what that is or how to make one, read the sticky threads at the top of the forum.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineProtester
Stoner ReekingHavok

Re: Id help plz [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1710059 - 07/12/03 11:59 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Bruised istantly to a denim blue color, the gills have a coating over it and are very close together and arnt about a mm long.

--------------------
I work my shitty 9-5 and I pay my taxes, I'm not hurting anybody else. So why do you care what i do in my spare time.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1710531 - 07/13/03 02:57 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

the gills have a coating over it and are very close together and arnt about a mm long

I'm trying to figure out what that means, and I'm not doing very well.

Does the underside of the cap look somewhat like the mushroom on the left in this photo?

Or perhaps it looks more like this photo?

Or maybe like this one?

I don't think your mushroom is any of those, those photos were chosen to illustrate a feature of the mushroom that I need to know the appearance of to identify.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineProtester
Stoner ReekingHavok

#1710758 - 07/13/03 04:42 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

ID have to say more like the first ones but the opens arnt as noticable i had to really look for them to even see them. Also when i cut the caps in half it looked as if they where a bunch of little hairs packed tightly together. Im sorry if i dont sound too professional about this, its because im not just picked up this hobby a few months ago still have alot of things to learn. WHen i first made this post the pores where not visable as well.

--------------------

Edited by Protester (07/13/03 04:47 AM)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1710821 - 07/13/03 05:15 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

That's OK. You're making the effort to learn.

Tubes or pores like that tell us that your mushrooms belong to one of two groups - the Boletes or the Polypores.

The Boletes tend to be fleshy mushrooms which grow on the ground. The pores generally can be easily peeled from the underside of the cap.

The Polypores tend to have tougher consistency, like leather or wood. The pores generally cannot be peeled, or only with great difficulty.

Your photos suggest that yours are Boletes. In boletes, the tubes generally get longer and thicker as the mushrom matures. With a young specimen the tubes can be so small that the tube surface looks solid to the naked eye. Blue staining in boletes is fairly common. The next thing we need to know is how long it took for it to stain. Did it become blue pretty much instantly, or did it take more like 30 second or more?

Boletes are a relatively safe group of mushrooms for beginners who want to eat wild mushrooms, because it's easy to eliminate all the poisonous ones. All of the poisonous boletes bruise blue, have red or orange tubes or tube mouths, or both.

In other words, the fact that your specimens bruise blue is a warning sign that you need to be extra careful in identification if you're considering eating them. Some boletes that bruise blue are edible, some are poisonous.

Boletes are not active. But some of the best edible mushrooms in the world are boletes.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineProtester
Stoner ReekingHavok

#1710945 - 07/13/03 08:57 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for the help. just got back from my early morning hunt think i might have had some luck this time checking the boards and such b4 i post anything else here.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification