Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Sensible Seeds Shop: Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSimplepowa
In Pursuit of Knowledge

Andrew Cuomo: No Raise For State Lawmakers Unless "Public View" Marijuana Is Decriminalized
    #17087725 - 10/23/12 08:48 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

By James King Wed., Oct. 17 2012 at 2:48 PM

New York State legislators want a pay raise for the first time since 1999. Governor Andrew Cuomo wants young minorities to stop getting screwed by New York's bizarre "public view" marijuana law, and the NYPD's controversial "stop and frisk" policy -- and the governor made it clear yesterday that lawmakers won't get a pay bump until they get to work on decriminalizing "public view" marijuana.

"I would not even consider -- even consider a pay raise -- unless the people's business was being done in a thorough, responsible way," Cuomo told reporters yesterday.

"The people's business" also includes a raise in the minimum wage, which currently is $7.25 an hour. Cuomo wants it raised to $8.50.

New York's "public view" marijuana law essentially says this: having small amounts of marijuana in your apartment is only a violation, while having the same amount of marijuana in the street -- for some stupid reason -- is a misdemeanor.

It's been labeled the "dumbest drug law" in America.

Marijuana was decriminalized in New York in the 1970s thanks to the Marijuana Reform Act, which makes possession of marijuana a ticketable offense, rather than a crime that will go on your permanent record. However, a loophole in the law makes it a misdemeanor to possess weed in "public view."

As we mentioned, it makes no sense.

The loophole has led to the disproportionate arrests of young minorities (of the roughly 50,000 people arrested each year in New York for low-level marijuana offenses, 87 percent are black or Hispanic), who fall victim to the law because of "Stop and Frisk."

Lawmakers have since taken notice, and several have supported a plan to decriminalize "public view" marijuana -- but only because it's led to the disproportionate arrests of minorities, not because it's a stupid law.

The Legislature is in recess until January, but there's speculation it might call a special session so lawmakers can give themselves a raise. If that's the case, also on the agenda will be weed and the minimum wage if Cuomo has his way, anyway.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/10/andrew_cuomo_no.php

--------------------
Carl Sagan - "Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people."

---

Robert Pirsig - "When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."

---

Brian Cox - "[One] problem with today’s world is that everyone believes they have the right to express their opinion AND have others listen to it. The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense."

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Andrew Cuomo: No Raise For State Lawmakers Unless "Public View" Marijuana Is Decriminalized [Re: Simplepowa]
    #17088104 - 10/23/12 09:25 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Yay Now I'll make enough to afford a deluxe meal!

Offlinexbloodwhipx

Re: Andrew Cuomo: No Raise For State Lawmakers Unless "Public View" Marijuana Is Decriminalized [Re: Konyap]
    #17088776 - 10/23/12 11:05 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

If they decriminalize marijuana for a 1 dollar raise, just imagine what we could get them to do for free doughnuts!

OfflineLord_McLovin
mad scientist on shrooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: infinite dimensional void
Re: Andrew Cuomo: No Raise For State Lawmakers Unless "Public View" Marijuana Is Decriminalized [Re: xbloodwhipx]
    #17090412 - 10/24/12 05:36 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

What are you talking about? They are surely gonna raise their wages by much more than a thousand dollars a year.

--------------------
Stand up. You're not alone.

Offlinemukhail
Creeper

Loc: Antarctica
Re: Andrew Cuomo: No Raise For State Lawmakers Unless "Public View" Marijuana Is Decriminalized [Re: Lord_McLovin]
    #17090859 - 10/24/12 09:53 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

This is good. Im glad I live in NY. Other states have it way worse and are progressing backwards.

Offlinexbloodwhipx

Re: Andrew Cuomo: No Raise For State Lawmakers Unless "Public View" Marijuana Is Decriminalized [Re: Lord_McLovin]
    #17092878 - 10/24/12 05:05 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Lord_McLovin said:
What are you talking about? They are surely gonna raise their wages by much more than a thousand dollars a year.

I dont talk to people located at the DEA headquarters.
:feelsparanoidman:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Sensible Seeds Shop: Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service