Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejoedownthestreet
Stranger
Suspension Chamber, 1 upgrade and a few questions.
    #1708451 - 07/12/03 02:37 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

The suspension chamber is a terrarium with a rack inside. your cakes are mounted on the rack instead of sitting on the bottom. Gives you more surface area to grow on cause they can grow on the bottom too. The pic I saw, the guy used a long thin shaft and stabbed it through his cakes, like shishkabobs. He had a poor mans pod setup with 2 differences, 1 was his rack and his "cakecabobs". The other was that he used just water and H2o2 in the bottom instead of perlite or geolite(because of the rack he didnt need "solid land" for his cakes to sit on.

So anyways, my friend made a simmilar set up and it is his first grow, he has a few concerns. First, my friend wonders about molds and contams with 5 inches of water in the bottom and a rack made of plastic tinker toys. Will the water that gets on the toys grow mildew or other nasty stuff? There is H202 in the water and 2 long bubble air strips to keep it circulating but my friend still worries.

Should my friend switch to perlite or geolite in the bottom or stick with h20/h202? which is cleaner and easier to maintain?

Secondly, my friends air pump seems to be generating a small amount of heat, is this normal? His tank is at 80-82 any time of day it seams, about 5 over room temp. He has no lights near the tank and no other possible heat source. Is 80 too high to fruit? Should my friend add a few ice cubes to his water every couple hours? Is there another way to cool a tank without buying an air conditioner?

Ok, enough questions. I had 1 great idea for suspending the cakes. Start with those thin metal clothes hangers (the kind with a painted coating so they dont rust as easily). Cut a piece at the bottom corner looking like a big check mark (a V with one side twice as long). You want it to be big enough that you can stick the long side all the way through your cake and still have enough room to bend a little hook and hang it like a piniata or a christmas ornament. The short side of your hanger should hold the cake on at the bottom, bend it a little if you need to. LoL, just throw up some christmas lights in your tank and you can realy be festive all year round.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecupid
Trust noone

Re: Suspension Chamber, 1 upgrade and a few questions. [Re: joedownthestreet]
    #1727329 - 07/18/03 12:09 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

just a thought but why would your foaf need "5 inches of water" you could achieve the same surface area with less than 1/4 an inch. Also if my foaf was your foaf the air pump would be scrapped alltogether. Also keep in mind the time it takes h2o2 to break down when exposed to air, so if you do use less than 1/4 inch water you could also use less H202 for a higher concentration.

--------------------
Final last words... What's this button do ?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology