Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
drug culture backlash
    #1707659 - 07/12/03 02:44 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

more and more it seems that scenes which at one time revolved around the ceremonial use of drugs are being converted into drug hostile scenes. specifically gathering type jam band festivals and raves/clubs. I'm not talking about the organizers/promoters/club owners, I mean a backlash amougst those who view themselves as "protecting the scene" by being standoffish about drugs and so called "druggies". Of course I've always dealt with this in the academic world, but it saddens me to see this happen in my social world.

fuck straightedgers, all that means is you drink.

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFaaip_De_Oiad
as above, so below
Male User Gallery

Loc: Malice, Tx
Re: drug culture backlash [Re: Malachi]
    #1707748 - 07/12/03 03:12 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

actually, straightedgers shouldn't even drink, you've got alot of nerve if you drink AND call yourself straightedge.

I was straightedge for awhile, and it means something different for everyone, but for me it was about not needing drugs to get through life, it was about not needing to escape like it seemed everyone else did, but eventually I learned that drug use wasn't always based on "escape'.

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
Re: drug culture backlash [Re: Faaip_De_Oiad]
    #1707782 - 07/12/03 03:47 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

that's my point, that straightedgers are a bunch of hypocrites.

and yes, this is the logic all non drug users use, straightedgers are just the people who are nazi's about it. it's not even that the people I'm talking about are straightedge, they aren't, it's just that I'm pissed that drugs aren't as "cool" as I get older as they used to be when I was younger. now there are all kinds of people even in the counterculture scenes I'm a part of who don't approve of the drugs (or of the x, or shrooms, or excessive amounts, or whatever.)

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Re: drug culture backlash [Re: Malachi]
    #1707801 - 07/12/03 03:59 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Straight edgers believe in pure living...no sex, no meat or animal PRODUCTS (not just food), no drugs, medications...nothing. Living whole on things from this earth....

Sure its easy to say their just taking away everything good from life, but if it works for them thats fine. Then theres the whole punk scene straight edge thing where its a big trend of brutish militant assholes. But hey, dont give them the time of the day, because they wont give it to you. Yes...they impact scenes...but dont give them the attention their seeking and dont naturally assume their all bad!

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

OfflineEgoMagickian
human

Loc: San Francisco
Re: drug culture backlash [Re: PDU]
    #1708056 - 07/12/03 10:03 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I see a difference between "drug culture backlash" and "drug backlash". Unfortunately, I think we're seeing both.

In much of mainstream shamanism there can be found an attitude along the lines of, we/you don't "need" or "have" to use "drugs" to attain our goals. The covert judgment, of course, is that no one "should" use any such substances in their practice.

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Re: drug culture backlash [Re: EgoMagickian]
    #1708220 - 07/12/03 12:18 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah I remember when I was all proud of myself because I didn't "NEED" drugs. Hahaha what a fucking dumbass I was. Oh well.

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
Re: drug culture backlash [Re: Dogomush]
    #1708570 - 07/12/03 03:47 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

dude, I totally feel this thread!! In the city I live in, it used to be legal to buy ex at a bar... now all these trendy club fucks do is drink...

Honestly I think its a temporary condition. The causes are:
A. the economy- only assholes have money to go out- all the cool people are broke.
B. Republican in the white house- I've lived through both repub and demo admins, and demos are always more fun. (which isn't to say that I agree with either party)
C. the war/ sorry state of world affairs- I mean, what is there to celebrate right now?
D. General mass media crapulence- Seriously, with Britney and Justin all over the MTV- I don't think that kind of cheese has been around since the 80's

but anyway, those are my thoughts. Keep on pluggin and stuff will get better

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology