Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Shpongle

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
My Experience With "Silence."
    #1706966 - 07/11/03 09:32 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

On my recent trip I was outdoors at a friend's house and it was late at night.

I decided to go without music for a while to listen to my current environment - BOY am I glad I did; it was fascinating listening to the "silence" of his neighborhood.

First I noticed the bird - there was a bird across the street somewhere filling in some silence.

I then noticed this mechanical "man-made" sound coming from the side of his house - some type of meter or mechanical device kind of making a monotonous grinding sound.

Next I realized "the crickets!" heh these guys were fantastic! There were several crickets nearby, all "riding" eachother's sounds. There seemed to be a certain "beat" that they were locked onto (I hear this varies depending on temperature?). At times a car would drive by or some other noise would occur and one or two of the crickets would stop for several "beats" and then join back in. It was cool because I didn't even know it was multiple crickets until I hear some of them stopping. Large sounds would stop them all for a couple beats.

Next I realized the crickets were also being affected by the bird's sounds - if the bird got all excited and started getting very loud and fast, the crickets would start missing beats and get all distracted... lol I don't know if this is entertaining at all but laying there listening to it on shrooms was great; listening to the interactivity of nature.

Next were the coyotes - holy SHIT!

I heard a loud howl in the distance - my friend had told me there were coyotes around (He was currently inside on the computer - i was outside..) and "damn that must be one of 'em." Right afterwards, there was another howl in almost the exact opposite direction - a fellow coyote yelling back over to the first one. Three more coyotes howled from another direction, and I started thinking "woah there's more around here than I thought." As I was thinking that, BAM hundreds of coyotes in all directions just started wailing and howling like they were having the biggest party on Earth. It seemed like all of them were relieving stress and letting eachother know "hey we're all alive and we've all got eachother's backs!"

The howling went on for maybe 15-30 seconds, and slowly died off (the last few barks were from seemingly the same directions as the first couple were).

While the coyotes were howling, the crickets and the bird stopped.

Once the bird started chirping again, the crickets kicked back into full gear as well, and all was calm. Later another bird started making some sounds as well, and it was really cool hearing the birds feed off of eachother's noises -

lol this is probably very uninteresting I just wanted to type it out to somebody because laying there listening was amazing and it seemed like plenty of people would have noticed this kind of bird/cricket activity in the past.

I'm also wondering if anybody has listened to their local envionment without music while on psychedelics, and what kinds of random things they were hearing - It always amazes me how awesome sound seems whe nI'm tripping - every sound seems so bold to come out and disrupt the air.... Anybody have some stories of "incredible silence-disrupters?" At times it seemed like a game these two birds were playing with the crickets lol, but hey I was on drugs..

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Edited by Strumpling (07/11/03 09:40 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblechunder
marker

Loc: The City
Re: My Experience With "Silence." [Re: Strumpling]
    #1707053 - 07/11/03 10:02 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

My last trip I was out in the woods, and I heard a giant pack of coyotes yowling. It sounded like there were hundreds of coyotes, and it was a crazy noise. Sounded like an intricate song.

Nature has been making music far longer than man! Peace.

--------------------

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
    #1707166 - 07/11/03 10:47 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

One time walking home after smoking bud in my local park at night, I could percieve every single minute vibration of sound as it echoed and bounced off the world around me. When I closed my eyes and listened to the echoing of my footsteps off nearby bushes, off the blades grass around me, I could totally feel everything around me like you feel and know something is there when you look at it. It made me realize just how limited my senses are with unaltered conciousness.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
    #1707326 - 07/11/03 11:55 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Once, whilst in an altered state of consciousness, I sat by some trees listening to the birds singing. Then I telepathically connected to them, and began interacting with their chirps mentally, in which I was able to 'orchestrate' their song. It was cool.

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

Re: My Experience With "Silence." [Re: Shroomism]
    #1707503 - 07/12/03 01:37 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Silence id cool. I would like to go into a cave or something. Complete darkness and silence. I wonder what my mind would create on that blank slate.

--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

OfflineDrubuShrume
EAT ME - I'm afungi

Loc: Right where I need to be
Re: My Experience With "Silence." [Re: mntlfngrs]
    #1707527 - 07/12/03 01:44 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Kinda off-topic but does good weed make anyone else just feel comfortable?

The last time I was with my fun guys in nature I was also with a drunk walkin through the woods at night/mornin, so the drunk was kinda blabbinand all I could do is laugh @ him.

--------------------
AH HA....

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Re: My Experience With "Silence." [Re: DrubuShrume]
    #1710595 - 07/13/03 03:21 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yes weed seems to make me satisfied with "just chillin" :wink: THINKING.

CHUNDER,

"Nature has been making music far longer than man!"

man you put it very well.... When I just sit and listen to my surroundings, at times it sounds like a huge natural "production," its like everything is yelling "check THIS out! watch how I fit THIS action into the mix!"

CHODAMUNKOID;),

"When I closed my eyes and listened...... I could totally feel everything around me like you feel and know something is there when you look at it."

heh I've felt that at times as well

mntlfngrs,

"I wonder what my mind would create on that blank slate."

man me too! there are isolation tanks and stuff that people use for that sort of activity but I've yet to experience true silent darkness.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.

Edited by Strumpling (07/13/03 03:32 AM)

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #1710713 - 07/13/03 04:14 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

You know... ever since I can remember, I've periodically wished I could block out ALL sound (not permanently mind you). I've sought out very quiet places... but I still hear this weird background noise no matter where I am. It's not my breathing or my heartbeat... it seems to have no real pattern. Just a neutral, arrythmic hum of sorts. My current thought is that it has something to do with my sound-detecting apparatus itself... maybe it is due to the fluid moving around in my inner ear or something... I dunno...

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Re: My Experience With "Silence." [Re: Sclorch]
    #1710722 - 07/13/03 04:23 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

yeah that's kind of why I'd dig going in one of those tanks or something.... I'm not sure if we can actually hear or see "nothing"

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
    #1710742 - 07/13/03 04:35 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I've tried to do that in my pool... but I still hear the hum (even with earplugs). It DOES change pitch the deeper I go underwater. So, this pitch change due to a pressure change leads me to believe that a physical mechanism is responsible.

I think it is entirely possible to block out all light... to me, this would be "not seeing". Sure, I would still "see" flashes of color or whatever, but this must also be due to a physical mechanism.

--------------------

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

#1710833 - 07/13/03 05:25 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

It is easy enough to have no light but sound is harder. You can hear your heart and breathing if it is quirt enough. I guess you'd have to numb the nerves between you brain and ears. And you might want to practice meditation for a while first so you could learn to quiet the inner voice. Otherwise you might go crazy listening to yourself "blah blah blah" for hours before you could actualy get to the silence.

I guess those isolation tanks get realy intense even sober. It would be crazy tripping.

--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
    #1710932 - 07/13/03 07:51 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yea I used to live out in the country as a boy, and you can really dig the sounds of nature out there. I rember me and my dog used to chase the cows around the field next to our house.
One night i and my bro were gettin stoned and all of a sudden MOOOO! I went outside and the cows had the house sorounded :shocked: no shit must have been at least 10 of em lined up next to the fence.  they must have been pissed about getting chased.  So to show my dominance i ran em off again.
Hehe stupid cows

--------------------

OfflineLOBO
Vagabond

Loc: NY
    #1710951 - 07/13/03 09:12 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

When I am using mushies I never listen to music, I find that it interferes with the experience; I think the less distractions you have the deeper you can get.
That?s why I seek a nature environment to do them, away from people and there noises.

--------------------

InvisibleBoppity604
Stranger
Re: My Experience With "Silence." [Re: LOBO]
    #1711212 - 07/13/03 01:22 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I have to agree with Lobo.  Whenever I tripped on shrooms, I would always prefer to be outside in natural ambience than having music.

It's so nice to see other people reacting so beautifully to ambience.  I just smoked a bowl out on the porch listening to the birds and wind.  Great way to start off an afternoon.  :smile:

You should check out minimal ambient artists if you're into stuff like this during a trip/stone.  There are some artists out there that simply take a DAT recorder and a mic, start recording and just stop an hour or so later and label it what they did, for example "Walking home on Sunday" or "Ride to the theater," etc.  :smile:

As much of a fan of electronic music as I am...Shpongle still can't touch the natural experience of hearing a dog's barking slowly crawling up the side of a mountain in the calm darkness of the night.  It's a shame a lot of people need a psychedelic drug to help them realize how cool natural ambience can be...but whatever it takes...it's a good realization nonetheless.  :smile:

Love & Light,

Boppity

PS - Next time you have a trip party, have everyone just sit comfortably in a room together...but have no music, no speech and no movement.  Just be with each other and enjoy the present moment.  It'll be more interesting than you think.

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: My Experience With "Silence." [Re: Boppity604]
    #1711266 - 07/13/03 01:45 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Silence is deafening sometimes....

Whenever I try to meditate I get this sort of 'surround sound' type listening thing going. I break down every sound around me and which direction it is coming from, and the cool thing is when you do hear the patterns it is moving in.

Ever notice how distant traffic sounds like waves at the beach?

InvisibleBoppity604
Stranger
Re: My Experience With "Silence." [Re: Grav]
    #1711576 - 07/13/03 03:53 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Absolutely...that's your mind calming down to the point where you're hearing the variation of input from both ears affecting the rest of your perception. 

I believe that is what causes the pulsing/rocking feeling a lot of people get from a good stone/trip...or at least one of the main contributing factors for such experience.  :smile:

Love & Light,

Boppity

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #1712741 - 07/13/03 11:26 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

do you live in a city? i notice a subtle hum when i go out sometimes, its like the whole city is alive. buzzing with an un-natural hum.

--------------------
What?

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My Experience With "Silence." [Re: Zero7a1]
    #1713079 - 07/14/03 01:26 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I do live in a city, more or less, but I've noticed it out in BFE as well.

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #1714180 - 07/14/03 02:48 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I've lived by the beach my whole life so even when the city is quiet there's that nice rumbling/crashing sound coming from the west - it always sounds just about the same, yet never seems to repeat itself exactly.

--------------------

Edited by Strumpling (07/14/03 02:48 PM)

OfflineJumpy
Jumpy
Male
Loc: Germany
    #1714807 - 07/14/03 05:21 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

i wish i lived near the beach and shroomed..that would be so fucking awesome....i live in Wine Country though...theres a ton of coyotes and the such to listen to..especially complete silence...i think i may shroom here soon, or maybe at the at night...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Shpongle

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology