Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleDieCommie

Re: anyone snowboard? [Re: twistedty]
    #17055470 - 10/18/12 02:46 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Yea, I go pretty regularly.  I dont have much money so its going to be small local park via bus for me this winter.  I still love it.  Last winter really sucked, the season started late.  But last winter I did finally do some black runs!  I generally go pretty conservatively since Im not young and I have no insurance.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDork
( . )( . )
 User Gallery

Re: anyone snowboard? [Re: Everlong]
    #17055499 - 10/18/12 02:50 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

haha yeah don't blame you there. i live near a mountain that was used for the winter olympics not too long ago but haven't been there since i learned how to ride. the main  mountain i go to is extremely small but has a pretty sweet terrain park and their adding some double black diamonds this year which im pretty pumped for

OfflineHB
Male User Gallery

Re: anyone snowboard? [Re: elax420]
    #17055522 - 10/18/12 02:54 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

elax420 said:
Free riding is the exact opposite. Its all about creativity. lines that go through cliffs,steeps, and trees not marked trails. Back country and big mtn is where its at yo.

I don't free-ride back-country or on heli-trips, only on marked runs, but I still consider it "free-riding" since, by definition, it means carving down the mountain without doing tricks ... it doesn't necessarily mean backcountry or big-mountain, though you can free-ride there, as well, of course. 

I do agree that it's all about creativity, and the flow of just carving and making a line without thinking much about it and just feeling the speed and the edges digging in when carving and going around obstacles and, if you have it, listening to great music on your iPod is just a sick experience all around for me.  Mammoth Mountain resort has such great runs on the front AND especially the (marked) backside of the mountain that I don't even see a reason to go on unmarked runs and risk my life.  ESPECIALLY in Mammoth, with the insane storms that they have there, going in avalanche country is unbelievably risky, even if you are an expert with tons of backcountry experience.  It only takes one avalanche to end your life.  For those who like the backcountry, having trackers in your clothes (I have those pants) or on your person and carrying a shovel and going with a buddy or more than one other trusted friend is a must to try to stay as safe as possible.  Going without those backcountry tools, and especially going without a buddy, is just asking for things to go very wrong.  Snowboarding is one of the most injury-prone sports next to skiing, and going backcountry and/or big mountain increases the danger potential drastically.  I just like to play it safe and go to a good resort with good marked runs with the knowledge that nothing life-threatening will likely happen to me.

Invisibleelax420
Anal Destroyer
 User Gallery

Re: anyone snowboard? [Re: HB]
    #17055867 - 10/18/12 03:43 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Right on to each his own. Im not advocating BC to people its super dangerous but its also the forefront of the sport and the best way to get untracked powder runs. It may be different in california but around here(utah) freeride refers to the mix of the three major disciplines pow,park,groomers. You are lucky mammoth is your home mountain they get freak storms and have an amazing park.

Offlinex Ju x
Aubergine Of The Sun
Male

Loc: Shpongleland, Canada Flag
    #17056031 - 10/18/12 04:08 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I use to ride frequently when I lived in a place that had a mountain, but I moved to a new city in 05 and it didn't have a resort :frown:

It's just not the same I find. I was used to getting on the lifts and cruising down mountains all day, and having to walk back up small steep hills for a 4 second ride down just isn't as enjoyable.

When I finish school I plan on moving to a place where there is a nice resort and I can go whenever I want.

--------------------

OfflineHB
Male User Gallery

#17056149 - 10/18/12 04:26 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

elax420 said:
Right on to each his own. Im not advocating BC to people its super dangerous but its also the forefront of the sport and the best way to get untracked powder runs. It may be different in california but around here(utah) freeride refers to the mix of the three major disciplines pow,park,groomers. You are lucky mammoth is your home mountain they get freak storms and have an amazing park.

Mammoth is 6 hours from my current home but it's more than worth the drive (there's Big Bear mountain which has 3 resorts and is only 2 hours drive from my house but it's nothing like Mammoth, at all, and unless I'm going for a quick one-day snowboarding trip, I will always go to Mammoth over Big Bear).  From having lived in Mammoth, and having snowboarded all over the country at different resorts in my life (Colorado, Utah, etc.), I can easily say that Mammoth is my favorite all-around mountain for just carving on (gnarly) marked runs.  The storms are super gnarly there, and I have some crazy stories from working in some of those storms.  The elevation of Mammoth is around 10,000 feet at the resort, so it's prime snow/snowboarding conditions, though the weather can be super twitchy and can close chairlifts at the drop of a hat because of the elevation.  The great thing about Mammoth is that once it starts snowing hard in Mammoth when the season starts, the whole rest of the season tends to be consistently on fire and the mountain has a great percentage of open runs for most of the snowboarding season, and the season has, in the past, sometimes gone all the way until JULY, which is pretty unbelievable (the season tends to start late November/early December, so that's a LONG time to stay open for snowboarding, no matter how many runs are still open in July, which is probably not many by that point).

The only real downside to Mammoth's mountain is the super-intense winds that sometimes plague the higher to highest-elevation runs some days ... the winds would close down the chairlifts that would connect you to the marked runs on the back of the mountain as well as the backcountry (for those into the backcountry), and most of my favorite runs were accessible only by the highest chairlift, which was the chairlift that closed down due to weather and winds the most.  If you can deal with the storms and the strong-ass winds occasionally and be patient waiting for the right/best day(s) to ride, Mammoth's runs are beyond incredibly rewarding.  I've also heard the terrain parks at Mammoth are well-known and well-liked in the tricks community by many (I don't know how Mammoth's parks rate in the magazines, though), but since I don't do tricks and don't ever go to the park, I have no personal opinion on the matter.  All I know is threads like this one get me totally psyched for snowboarding season and inspire me to set-up snowboarding trips each winter.  It may only be fall but I love dreaming about snowboarding almost as much as snowboarding itself.

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
    #17056360 - 10/18/12 05:06 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

HB said:
All I know is threads like this one get me totally psyched for snowboarding season and inspire me to set-up snowboarding trips each winter.  It may only be fall but I love dreaming about snowboarding almost as much as snowboarding itself.

I can feel the intensity of your love for the mountain through your posts, man.
Sure hope my knee heals up well enough soon enough to hit the slopes this season!  :awesanta:

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Offlinetwistedty
Forcefully Retired
Male User Gallery

Loc: Middle
Re: anyone snowboard? [Re: geokills]
    #17056402 - 10/18/12 05:11 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

my favorite part of my snow trips is doing inventory packing all my equipment and being geared up in the STL airport.  the flight is 2hrs but we gain an hour in CO. so i leave at 2pm from the MO and get to CO at 1pm.  hop in the rental and head straight to the mountain, board all day, and go check in to w/e we are stayin :thumbup:

OfflineHuHEN
I am the Owl
Male User Gallery

Loc: Highlands Flag
    #17056426 - 10/18/12 05:15 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Hi,

I ski!

Anyone feel free to hit me up if they are going to Vail/Jah Beave/Breck/Keystone. I live 5 minutes from Beaver Creek and can show you the sickest shit.

--------------------

OfflineHB
Male User Gallery

#17056651 - 10/18/12 05:50 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

geokills said:
Quote:

HB said:
All I know is threads like this one get me totally psyched for snowboarding season and inspire me to set-up snowboarding trips each winter.  It may only be fall but I love dreaming about snowboarding almost as much as snowboarding itself.

I can feel the intensity of your love for the mountain through your posts, man.
Sure hope my knee heals up well enough soon enough to hit the slopes this season!  :awesanta:

Yeah, I really hope your knee heals up, and soon!  It'd be great to rent a cabin with you and hit the slopes this winter :smile:

OfflineEnjoywho
Rags to Bitches
Male User Gallery

#17056718 - 10/18/12 05:58 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

You guys seen thats it that's all, and the art of flight? Hands down the best 2 snowboarding movies ever made.

--------------------
"I don't give nothin' to nobody, I just pay the cost to do business." - Riley "Young Reezy"-Boondocks

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

"In the days of kings and queens I was a jester."

"And then the great lord created bears... too many bears... shoulda really dialed back on the bears." Squidbillies

"Can you start speaking words instead of your damn filthy lies!"- Louise "Bobs Burgers"

OfflineHB
Male User Gallery

Re: anyone snowboard? [Re: Enjoywho]
    #17056729 - 10/18/12 06:00 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Enjoywho said:
You guys seen thats it that's all, and the art of flight? Hands down the best 2 snowboarding movies ever made.

I've seen that's it that's all ... not the art of flight.  My favorite snowboarding movie ever made is Absinthe Films' Optimistic.  Excellent soundtrack and excellent snowboarding footage with great snowboarders.  All around excellent movie, and worth endless repeat watches :awesome:

Invisibleelax420
Anal Destroyer
 User Gallery

#17056780 - 10/18/12 06:09 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Damn that sounds awesome. What resort did you go to in UT? How would you compare the terrain of the lcc or bcc resorts (snowbird alta brighton solitude) to mammoth? or where ever you went ive been all over the UT resorts.

Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

Re: anyone snowboard? [Re: Enjoywho]
    #17056928 - 10/18/12 06:31 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Enjoywho said:
Nothing compares. To me snowboarding is the culmination of my life. Being at the top strapped in ready to shred. Nothing compares. Its the only time I'm at complete peace. I love it more than anything in this world.

:werd:

That pretty much sums it up :yesnod: .

Best feeling in the world, hands down. Carving through the trees on 4 to 5 feet of fresh fluffy dry powder, absolute silence other than the gentle wooshing of the snow as you carve. Stopping in the trees and smoking a J with the buddies. The smell of smoke in the air from fire places. Everyone on the mountain is uber happy and stoked on life, and probably high too :smirk: .

I've been riding for about 10 years now....though I used to go much more often when I was younger. I remember ditching school with my buddy during JR & SR year of high school just to catch those blue bird days.

With all that said...last season I didn't ride at all. Combination of not having the fund$, and the season was absolute shit. Worse snow season I've seen since I've been riding.

Anyone remember the winter of 2004/2005?...Twas epic in every sense of the word, at least around these parts. We were riding 4 feet of cold powder two weeks before Halloween, and the season went well into June. Most places picked up 600 to 900 inches (50 to 75 feet) of snow that year. It was incredible.

-OM

--------------------

Invisibleelax420
Anal Destroyer
 User Gallery

Re: anyone snowboard? [Re: openmind]
    #17056967 - 10/18/12 06:36 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

the best season was 2010. Snowbird was open till the 4th of july and got like 700 inches. i think mammoth got 900 that year or something ridiculous like that.

OfflineHB
Male User Gallery

#17056973 - 10/18/12 06:36 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

elax420 said:
Damn that sounds awesome. What resort did you go to in UT? How would you compare the terrain of the lcc or bcc resorts (snowbird alta brighton solitude) to mammoth? or where ever you went ive been all over the UT resorts.

I went to Park City in Utah.  The snow was fantastic but the runs/overall mountain left something to be desired in the end.  As a resort, it is nothing in comparison to Mammoth except for the quality of the snow, which was great at all times just like Mammoth.  I snowboarded at Park City for a few days and had a good time but it wasn't a repeatable experience since I don't live in Utah (so it'd be expensive to travel there just to snowboard) and since Mammoth has such better runs overall and such a large scale as a mountain and is fairly local to me  ... there are so many different runs at Mammoth that it's hard to get bored and it's unlikely that you will find yourself repeating many runs because there are so many great runs to hit, there's simply no need to repeat many runs.  I love having lots of choices of awesome runs when snowboarding so that I can always shake it up at any time and hit a different run every time so there's lots of variety and very little "sameness".

So yeah, Mammoth is my favorite resort of all resorts I've been to by a large margin and it is a mountain I could never get bored snowboarding on.  I always give it the highest regard since I lived and worked at the resort for months and had a consistently great time every single day on the slopes and every single night at the local parties.  For a good time, Mammoth is next to impossible to beat 24 hours a day.

Of course, this is all just my own opinion ... but like I quoted earlier with snowboarding being pretty much my favorite activity in the world, I take my snowboarding seriously and am out to have the best time possible when putting the time, money and effort into a multi-day snowboarding trip.

Offlinex Ju x
Aubergine Of The Sun
Male

Loc: Shpongleland, Canada Flag
    #17057039 - 10/18/12 06:48 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

God dammit this thread makes me want to go to a Mountain again.

I remember going up the lift super early in the morning, crisp fresh air, sun just peaking over the mountain, and just cruising down different routes with music blasting.

--------------------

Offlinetwistedty
Forcefully Retired
Male User Gallery

Re: anyone snowboard? [Re: x Ju x]
    #17057112 - 10/18/12 06:59 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

x Ju x said:

I remember going up the lift super early in the morning, crisp fresh air, sun just peaking over the mountain, and just cruising down different routes with music blasting.

omg listening to my tunes on blast can get me into trouble sometimes!

i got some subs in my helmet

OfflineHB
Male User Gallery

Re: anyone snowboard? [Re: twistedty]
    #17057320 - 10/18/12 07:31 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

twistedty said:
Quote:

x Ju x said:

I had those "skullcrusher" headphones with the adjustable subs when I lived in Mammoth, they were sick!

Offlinetwistedty
Forcefully Retired
Male User Gallery

#17057350 - 10/18/12 07:36 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

HB said:
Quote:

twistedty said:
Quote:

x Ju x said:

I had those "skullcrusher" headphones with the adjustable subs when I lived in Mammoth, they were sick!

when your boarding and carvin, you tune out everything anyway much less when your jamming out

alot of the times i shut music off and just listen to the snow hitting me and the trademark carving noise of your board on a groomer or teh pow pow

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom