Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelaserpony
Not a noob; just quiet.
Female User Gallery

Loc: Hardiness Zone 7a Flag
Re: Ga caerulescens (weilii) Fall 2012 [Re: Wimy]
    #17045276 - 10/16/12 09:54 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Hey I can edit those videos together easily for you if you wanna send em to me. final cut pro over here.

Crazy story man! At least they were hella cool and it sounds like they want to hook you up with some new spots :cool:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelaserpony
Not a noob; just quiet.
Female User Gallery

Re: Ga caerulescens (weilii) Fall 2012 [Re: laserpony]
    #17045427 - 10/16/12 10:17 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I was reading about psilocybe tampanensis when I saw this:

As some of you might be aware, many people say weilii is in fact caerulescens. Those of you with confirmed patches should start looking for sclerotia! It would make making new patches a snap, all you would need to do is bury the sclerotia in favorable conditions and voila!

here is a link

http://www.cybertruffle.org.uk/cyberliber/59575/0007/002/0375.htm

--------------------

Edited by laserpony (10/16/12 10:18 PM)

OfflinePhantomweilii
seeker of knowledge
Male

#17045782 - 10/16/12 11:00 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Im going to order some spores and try to grow some Cubes. They're pretty easy to grow. When I get a hold of Weilii spores, Im going to try and grow them too, but Ive heard they are hard to grow.

--------------------
Come in little green men, come in little green men...

OfflineWimy
weiliiinmyyard
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE USA Flag
    #17045846 - 10/16/12 11:10 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

laserpony said:
I was reading about psilocybe tampanensis when I saw this:

As some of you might be aware, many people say weilii is in fact caerulescens. Those of you with confirmed patches should start looking for sclerotia! It would make making new patches a snap, all you would need to do is bury the sclerotia in favorable conditions and voila!

here is a link

http://www.cybertruffle.org.uk/cyberliber/59575/0007/002/0375.htm

no way! this is either a mistake, or something that has been way overlooked by many. Hey I might get you to edit the video for me after I get some more solid footage.. I was just filming myself hunting basically and expected to get a lot more before the editing process took place. Right now I have 17 minutes of footage and not a whole lot of info...

I'm uploading the clips to youtube as we speak.. 5% of 6 videos total, in 1 hr 9 min that's like 23-24 hours to finish at this rate.

--------------------

Offlinejaymanny
Stranger

#17046766 - 10/17/12 06:51 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Man thank god you got out safely. Yes that is a major problem for me being a noob. I am scared that someone might approach me like that. I love nature so i guess i would just start talking about trees and birds or something. Also i am new to GA so i have no clue where to go except public parks. I just don't want to look suspicious. I can careless what people think about me. I just dont want to get in trouble.

OfflineUK Explorer
Viva La Colonización!
Male User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Re: Ga caerulescens (weilii) Fall 2012 [Re: jaymanny]
    #17046953 - 10/17/12 07:53 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I'm interested to know if these can be propagated/cultivated and new patches set up with any kind of success? Like how it is easily done with the woodlovers, I know Weilli can be done to a degree so could these?

Such beautiful shroomsI'd love to view them in UK soil one day! :wink::awesomenod:

--------------------
THE RISE OF THE WOODLOVERS - An Ongoing Project to Introduce Exotic Species To The United Kingdom And Encourage Their Naturalisation

Offlinelaserpony
Not a noob; just quiet.
Female User Gallery

Re: Ga caerulescens (weilii) Fall 2012 [Re: UK Explorer]
    #17047738 - 10/17/12 11:32 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah wimy, I had never heard of it before and I was like whaaaaa? But it is reported by Guzman, who is a highly reputable mexican mycologist, so I think it could be legitimate I just guess most people don't go tearing up their patches looking for them.

This is all the more reason I would like to get some samples to grow indoors and do some substrate tests!

and just let me know if you need help with that video.

--------------------

Offlinelaserpony
Not a noob; just quiet.
Female User Gallery

#17047743 - 10/17/12 11:33 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

UK Explorer said:
I'm interested to know if these can be propagated/cultivated and new patches set up with any kind of success? Like how it is easily done with the woodlovers, I know Weilli can be done to a degree so could these?

Such beautiful shroomsI'd love to view them in UK soil one day! :wink::awesomenod:

I do believe they are woodlovers and as soon as I make my first find (fingers crossed) I am going to give this tek a shot

woodlovers smoothie tek

--------------------

OfflineWimy
weiliiinmyyard
Male User Gallery

#17048140 - 10/17/12 12:42 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

UK Explorer said:

Due to the small area that "weilii" is reported from, I just don't think a whole bunch of spore prints have been distributed. But according to Alan Rockefeller weilii and caerulescens are the same. I think this is confusing to most because they don't always seem the same as what you see a picture of caerulescens looking like, but this could easily be due to the habitat. I guess they are microscopically very similar in features.. (spore shape, length, etc)

There is absolutely no reason in my mind why you should not be able to cultivate a patch. If I was gonna give someone spores, I would want to be absolutely sure that they are going to put them on agar, make transfers, obtain a clean culture, inoculate grain spawn with agar wedges, and then use the grain spawn to knock up the bed.  I have sent out a ton of spore prints and never heard anything back about it. I think I have choses my candidate for the research, someone I believe to be very capable at growing this sp, jimmyjame1.

Before Doc_T disappeared, we were working on this.. About two months ago
Quote:

Doc_T said:
The idea for this thread grew out of a series of discussions betwween myself and weiliinmyyard (WiMY).
We were talking about how it always invigorates the community when a new species or concept gets explored. Anyone here remember "Easier than Cubes!!"?
That thread was exciting the way a moon launch is exciting, the community was exploring a new world together.
And as a result there was a Sclerotia Revolution that changed hobby mycology forever.

We wanted to start something with that sort of buzz, and that sort of long-lasting effect.
Developing a method to easily grow Psilocybe caerulescens seemed like a good challenge. There are several subspecies or substrains, by the way.
Several of the Psilocybe species are about to be renamed and/ore reorganized, WiMY will talk about that, here and in the ID forum.
But they are found worldwide and many members could find a specimen locally to start a grow with.

The original specimen for the lineage I'm working with was found in Tonila, Mexico near a sawmill, in a rich complex soil.
Manure, sawdust, all sorts of things in the mix. Rather than try to replicate that, I'm coming at it from the other end.
I'm going to see what are the minimum requirements, starting with plain PF cakes.
I don't think plain pf cakes will work, btw. But they have for lots of species so it's worth checking.

I'm going to use this thread to talk about the process, collecting and analyzing data, etc.
I'll start a grow log to cover the actual growing, and just link into that as needed.

Some goals:
1) newb-friendly way to get fruitbodies for spore prints
2) bulk substrate recipes that produce abundant mushrooms
3) a greater understanding of the requirements of the species.
4) worst case, I'll have a long list of things that don't work, and the next guy can go from there.

Spores went onto agar yesterday, there's not much to see yet. But here's the grow log.

Okay, I was planning on getting a lot more video, editing it, and including some more hunting information when my day was cut short. Here's the unedited footage.

Edited by weiliiinmyyard (10/17/12 01:12 PM)

Offlinegrassroots

#17048981 - 10/17/12 02:58 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Edited by grassroots (10/22/12 03:00 PM)

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Trusted Identifier
    #17049004 - 10/17/12 03:01 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

UK Explorer said:

Yes Psilocybe caerulescens is easy to grow, indoors or out.  They like agar, grains and wood chips.

Quote:

weiliiinmyyard said:
But according to Alan Rockefeller weilii and caerulescens are the same.

I think so, but you shouldn't quote me on this as I have never compared the type collections under a microscope.  Alonso has and he says they are the same, I am repeating what he told me.

Quote:

There is absolutely no reason in my mind why you should not be able to cultivate a patch. If I was gonna give someone spores, I would want to be absolutely sure that they are going to put them on agar, make transfers, obtain a clean culture, inoculate grain spawn with agar wedges, and then use the grain spawn to knock up the bed.  I have sent out a ton of spore prints and never heard anything back about it.

I have sent out hundreds of spore prints and I have seen several threads with awesome fruits that came from my prints.  The thing is that people don't think that P. caerulescens can be grown in outdoor beds, so they don't try.  If they did try, they would have amazing success.

Quote:

Here's the unedited footage.

Nice videos.  Are those trees Liquidambar?

OfflinePhantomweilii
seeker of knowledge
Male

#17049441 - 10/17/12 04:13 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Dude, really cool videos!! This has inspired me to get back out there and look and quit crying about not finding any. See, I knew I wasnt looking for these thing right. I come across this habitat all the time and just walk kinda looking around. You have to look through the grass to find these. I know a few spots im going back to now and look through the tall grass, I sure hope I find some.

--------------------
Come in little green men, come in little green men...

Offlineskinnyone
Seeker

Loc: N. Ga.
Re: Ga caerulescens (weilii) Fall 2012 [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #17049473 - 10/17/12 04:20 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I am definitely a noob when it comes to mushroom hunting, recently I've spent a lot of time looking for P. Weilii in N. Ga., and due to the fact I had no clue what I was looking for or really where to look, I had little success. Then I had my first find about two weeks ago in my own yard, a patch of 50 or so grams (dried) Weilii. They were unmissable... so blue. I found them in a mulch bed near loblolly pine trees at the lowest point of elevation in my lawn. My house is two years old so the land has been recently disturbed, the pines also have extensive beetle damage. My lawn is bermuda grass but they werent in the grass. Here are the pics from that find.

So with the real first hand experience of their environment, I went looking around in my neighborhood. In another mulch bed near loblolly pines, in an entirely different yard, I found another patch growing. There werent near as many mushrooms, and they had just come out of the ground. I figured I would wait to pick them until they had matured, but when I went back to check on them after a couple days without rain, they had completely rotted away. But here is a picture from that patch...

Then several days later I was at a friend's who had noted that his yard seemed to be a good spot for them... backed by pine trees, fescue grass, on an incline with low elevation near the pines. Red clay underneath, and again, pine beetle damage. I looked around for about ten minutes when I spotted the first one. We ended up finding three, all of them in the grass. It had not been raining but his yard gets watered. Today he sent me a poor quality image of 12 or so mushrooms he picked which I wont upload, but here are two pictures of those mushrooms found in his yard.

I now have three areas to go out and find these guys and plenty of dry ones to hang on to until the next flush. This has been an awesome experience so far, going out and finding them I mean. They are just unmissable when you do see them. Good luck to everyone out there. Sorry for shifting the direction of the thread as well.

--------------------

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Trusted Identifier
Re: Ga caerulescens (weilii) Fall 2012 [Re: skinnyone]
    #17049670 - 10/17/12 04:56 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Since caerulescens grows in Georgia, I think Psilocybe zapotecorum would do well there too.

I will send free Psilocybe zapotecorum prints to anyone who PM's me an address.

OfflineWimy
weiliiinmyyard
Male User Gallery

Re: Ga caerulescens (weilii) Fall 2012 [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #17050314 - 10/17/12 06:49 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

skinnyone said:
Sorry for shifting the direction of the thread as well.

No worries dude! post your weilii finds here any time. I really enjoyed reading your post and I look forward to more. Soon I will edit everyones finds onto the timeline where I reserved space at the beginning of the thread (by date posted) so its best to post as soon as you can after finding. The conversation can work it's way around solid posts like these using the quote or reply functions (not many use the reply feature but I do often in other forums)
I really like the habitat descriptions and photos
edit/ oh hey you're the guy who I rated while I was tripping. I checked out the thread and I still don't remember what I meant. apparently you were supposed to know lol

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Since caerulescens grows in Georgia, I think Psilocybe zapotecorum would do well there too.

I will send free Psilocybe zapotecorum prints to anyone who PM's me an address.

from this year?
Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:

Quote:

weiliiinmyyard said:
But according to Alan Rockefeller weilii and caerulescens are the same.

I think so, but you shouldn't quote me on this as I have never compared the type collections under a microscope.  Alonso has and he says they are the same, I am repeating what he told me.

Quote:

There is absolutely no reason in my mind why you should not be able to cultivate a patch. If I was gonna give someone spores, I would want to be absolutely sure that they are going to put them on agar, make transfers, obtain a clean culture, inoculate grain spawn with agar wedges, and then use the grain spawn to knock up the bed.  I have sent out a ton of spore prints and never heard anything back about it.

I have sent out hundreds of spore prints and I have seen several threads with awesome fruits that came from my prints.  The thing is that people don't think that P. caerulescens can be grown in outdoor beds, so they don't try.  If they did try, they would have amazing success.

Quote:

Here's the unedited footage.

Nice videos.  Are those trees Liquidambar?

We will know sooner than later, I'm sure you have some caerulescens spores, if not, I have some that you sent me, and I have some weilii spores as well. Would you like to compare them?
and thanks- I'm not familiar with Liquidambar trees- or at least the term. It's oaks, a variety of pines, sweetgums, and about 5-10 other sp.
Edit/ lol yes many of them are indeed Liquidambar aka sweetgum

-----------

I just went over to a friends house, and we walked on foot to the lowest part of the street where he lives on, where there was another trail cut out through the woods, with the occasional sewer cap. I told him, there, that's where we want to look. 5 minutes later we discovered a patch of around 30-50 weilii that were past picking. A little bit over from that patch there was a steep hill lined with clusters. By the time we started finding the good ones, it was dark. He is going to check it out some more and (being one of my best friends) welcomes me to come over and give it a look any time. I'm really glad that he has a spot now because he is a good weilii hunter, one of my favorite people to hunt with. His username is seanommmmmmm on here and he will probably be stopping by to say hello and check out the thread. It's really good to know that I can pick out spots where they grow by sight of the habitat- rather than just continue to hunt mushrooms in my own confined area. I have some pictures to upload- I'll edit them into this post in a minute.

And here's some shots of the mushrooms collected yesterday.

Edited by weiliiinmyyard (10/18/12 01:21 AM)

Offlinegrassroots

Re: Ga caerulescens (weilii) Fall 2012 [Re: Wimy] * 1
    #17055159 - 10/18/12 02:07 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Edited by grassroots (10/22/12 03:04 PM)

OfflineWimy
weiliiinmyyard
Male User Gallery

Re: Ga caerulescens (weilii) Fall 2012 [Re: grassroots]
    #17056059 - 10/18/12 04:12 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

grassroots said:
nice thumbnails as usual :rolleyes:

When you get a little bit past -50 posts you might run out of upload space :lol:
You can view the full size pictures in a slide or when they are at 60% you click on them again for 100%.
If it asks you for a password the password is "shroomery"

OR, would you rather me take up a full page by posting the full size pics? Cus I can do that.
You have a pretty nice haul there.. Looks like a couple zips.

--------------------

Offlinegrassroots

#17056351 - 10/18/12 05:04 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Edited by grassroots (10/22/12 03:01 PM)

OfflineWimy
weiliiinmyyard
Male User Gallery

#17056577 - 10/18/12 05:38 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

When I click the thumbnail, it opens up a new page with the picture at 60%. You click that photo again to get 100%.
It works for me, whether I'm signed in or not.
The pictures are big. Does it not work for everyone else?

--------------------

Offlineskinnyone
Seeker

Loc: N. Ga.
    #17056585 - 10/18/12 05:40 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

grassroots said:
nice thumbnails as usual :rolleyes:

my day started off pretty good... notice the slug, and huge mushroom clipping nail.

but then...

Those look awesome. Mind if i ask what county?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds