Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Two more Texas Shrooms ready for identification
    #1698168 - 07/09/03 12:11 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Straight from the Texas Gulf Coast.

This one was found by itself growing in grass, regular topsoil. The top of the cap was hairy, like the knap of natural leather, (NOT the smooth leather, similar to suede). Very fine hairs, light brown to tan. It was wet, but it may have been from dew.
Gills were white, very close together, appearance of cordoroy. White spore print.
Stem was white/yellow near the top to a dark brown all the way down. Not hollow, but it did appear to have a core that was of a different density than the outer part.

These were also found in grass, in the same yard actually and less than 5 yards apart. Growing in this group were these 4 mushrooms. In approximately a 6 inch circle.

The top of the big one appeared to have a skin that didn't grow/dry with the rest of the cap. It appeared like a dried up ground, with large cracks, where the ground leaves scales or islands of material. The color ranged from a light tan with white background for the small ones, to a darker tan with the white now in the cracks between the tan islands. They were wet to the touch, but again could have been from dew.

Stem was solid, but broke very easily. White spore print.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Edited by HagbardCeline (07/09/03 12:13 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Two more Texas Shrooms ready for identification [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #1698258 - 07/09/03 12:44 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

The second one is a Lepoita of some kind. If the print is white then it COULD be a choice edible. I'll let ToxicMan decide that one, he knows more than I do.

Anonymous

#1700098 - 07/09/03 03:32 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1700154 - 07/09/03 03:54 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

That first one is odd. At first glance it looks like Polyporus elegans - until you look at the second photo and see it has gills instead of pores. A spore print would be helpful. Overall, the stature resembles Clitocybe and Leptonia.

The second one looks like some very immature Lepiotas. For Lepiota we generally need some mature specimens for identification. Bruising will give some hints. Cut one in half vertically and scrape the inside with the knife edge to bruise it. It may take up to a hour for the brusing to occur.

Keep us posted.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisiblehoushroom
shroom cowboy

Loc: space city
Re: Two more Texas Shrooms ready for identification [Re: ]
    #1700162 - 07/09/03 03:56 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I found one of the first ones recently (the post) and ToxicMan identified it as Polyporus elegans. The ones shown in that post didn't have as much fuzziness on the cap as some of the older ones I found that were damaged on the way home and hence not put in the post. The gills look slightly different so maybe they're not exactly the same...

edit: there it is, straight from the horse's mouth

Edited by houshroom (07/09/03 03:58 PM)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Two more Texas Shrooms ready for identification [Re: houshroom]
    #1700322 - 07/09/03 04:57 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Compare this photo (from your post) to this photo (from this thread).

The specimens look strikingly alike, until you see that your specimen had the expected tubes under the cap and this specimen has extremely crowded gills.

This one is not Polyporus elegans, although they are very similar in appearance. That's what makes this one interesting. Polyporus elegans is a common mushroom that I have found many times.

Another interesting possibility is that it may be one of the small, brownish Cantharellus (chanterelle) species. The degree to which the gills are crowded tends to suggest otherwise, but the description of the gills as having the "appearance of cordoroy" is suggestive of the sort of gills chanterelles have.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Re: Two more Texas Shrooms ready for identification [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1704075 - 07/10/03 08:59 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Are the ones that were identified as some sort of Lepoita, edible?

I will have to try and find another one the weird ones, my dumb ass friend threw the spore print away.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Edited by HagbardCeline (07/10/03 09:41 PM)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1704131 - 07/10/03 09:12 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

We need to be very careful identifying Lepiotas for eating. A few of the species are deadly.

At least so far I would say that we aren't sure enough to consider eating them. If you can get some more mature specimens it would help.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineRemy
Bitches Brew
 User Gallery

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: Two more Texas Shrooms ready for identification [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1704539 - 07/11/03 12:03 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

The first one looks more like a false chanterelle (Hygrophoropsis) than a Cantharellus.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures