Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinechefinainteasy
Chef
Male User Gallery

Mushrooms Naturally, L.L.C.(update 11/23)
    #16926468 - 09/28/12 11:56 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

So here is what I've been up to. Thought i would share. Its about as low budget but as effective as possible and hopefully will be the starting point of my dream:grin:

Enjoy!

--------------------
Check out my youtube videos. the Mushrooms Naturally series by chefinainteasy

My new business is now on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MushroomsNaturally?ref=hl

MY Garden:grin:

Edited by chefinainteasy (11/23/12 11:23 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGnomeGrown
Cultivator

Re: Mushrooms Naturally, L.L.C. [Re: chefinainteasy]
    #16927944 - 09/28/12 04:34 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Looking good, Chef!

:takingnotes:

Invisiblefortheloveofnature
 User Gallery

Re: Mushrooms Naturally, L.L.C. [Re: GnomeGrown]
    #16928223 - 09/28/12 05:25 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

looking real good :thumbup:

--------------------
:kong:TRADE LIST:kong:
sclerotia info
FSPThreads
1-2-3-4

Looking for a confirmed Gymnopilus Luteus print

Gymnopilus sp

Offlinenick711
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Mushrooms Naturally, L.L.C. [Re: fortheloveofnature]
    #16929181 - 09/28/12 08:10 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Great job.
It looks fantastic!:costanza:

OfflineOICU812
NC Tree Farm owner
Male User Gallery

Loc: Foothills of NC Flag
Re: Mushrooms Naturally, L.L.C. [Re: fortheloveofnature]
    #16929412 - 09/28/12 08:48 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Very cool, chefinainteasy !

I am in the design stage of my fruiting chambers also.  I was wondering what type of temperature control you will be using for your incoming fresh air. 

Also, have you made provisions for filtering out bugs from you incoming fresh air?

I am very interested in seeing how others address these issues.  I get a lot of good design ideas from others.

Looks like you're off to a great start!

--------------------
--------------
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" --Benjamin Franklin

"Those who give up liberty for security won't have, or deserve, either.". . . Benjamin Franklin
----> Read: The Fight of our Lives - Defeating the Ideological War Against the West - by Victor Davis Hanson

Offlinechefinainteasy
Chef
Male User Gallery

Re: Mushrooms Naturally, L.L.C. [Re: OICU812]
    #16929576 - 09/28/12 09:18 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I have a doubled over piece of window screen where the new ducting meets the old ducting. I just cut it larger than the 5" reducer and wedged it between the two fittings like a sifter. When i took the cap off i had put on there there was several dozen random bugs so i figured this was a good start. I also got up on the roof and put fine mesh green house netting over the pipe top.

As far as conditioning temperature goes, since im in the basement things stay rather constant. I had a "T" duct fitting with a removable cap right before the air intake during the summer. This allowed me to remove the cap and draw in mostly cool basement air as well as outside air as well. Im sure i will devise something along these lines. I have looked into using a thermostat shutter control used in green house cooling to operate a shutter to either open or close it depending on the temperature. It has dropped down into the upper 30's to low 40'2 here in St. Louis and so far the lowest temp i have measured was 61 F. But im sure once the roof is covered with snow that will be a different story. I have also envisioned making a small, say 4'x4'x4' foam box with a portable AC or heater depending on the season. In which i would heat or cool then push the conditioned air into the intake line before it hits the humidifiers. Seems reasonable just not sure how efficient it would be.

But i too will be interested in the others answers as my next step is into a warehouse most likely not air conditioned.

--------------------

My new business is now on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MushroomsNaturally?ref=hl

OfflineGrumpyorc
Ghost

#16930291 - 09/28/12 11:40 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Is it wierd that I have a boner now...
DUDE thats friggin SCHWEEEETTT!!!

--------------------

OfflineOICU812
NC Tree Farm owner
Male User Gallery

#16931153 - 09/29/12 06:15 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

chefinainteasy said:
As far as conditioning temperature goes, since im in the basement things stay rather constant. I had a "T" duct fitting with a removable cap right before the air intake during the summer. This allowed me to remove the cap and draw in mostly cool basement air as well as outside air as well. Im sure i will devise something along these lines. I have looked into using a thermostat shutter control used in green house cooling to operate a shutter to either open or close it depending on the temperature. It has dropped down into the upper 30's to low 40'2 here in St. Louis and so far the lowest temp i have measured was 61 F. But im sure once the roof is covered with snow that will be a different story. I have also envisioned making a small, say 4'x4'x4' foam box with a portable AC or heater depending on the season. In which i would heat or cool then push the conditioned air into the intake line before it hits the humidifiers. Seems reasonable just not sure how efficient it would be.

But i too will be interested in the others answers as my next step is into a warehouse most likely not air conditioned.

We are looking into drawing fresh air through a large  steel pipe buried about 6 ft. underground.  It may provide a more consistent temperature through both the summer and winter seasons. 

With the volume of FAE needed for most species, it is a challenge to maintain proper temperatures in the fruiting rooms without consuming a large amount of expensive HVAC fuel (gas/electricity/oil).

RR has the right idea with the buried shipping container and we are looking toward geothermal as an efficient temperature modifying resource.

--------------------
--------------
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" --Benjamin Franklin

"Those who give up liberty for security won't have, or deserve, either.". . . Benjamin Franklin
----> Read: The Fight of our Lives - Defeating the Ideological War Against the West - by Victor Davis Hanson

OfflineTheApprentice
back at it
Male User Gallery

#16932733 - 09/29/12 02:03 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

:justastonishing:

That's awesome!  You rock so hard!!!!

Are you doing farmers markets?  Or do u have a resturants you supply?!!

This is my dream as well.  I have some portabellos cloned on agar right now.

I wanna turn a room in my apt to a farm.

What kind of legal things do u have to do?  Collect sales tax?

Are u licensed?  Have u applied for state agriculture grants?

How much are u selling your oysters for?

--------------------

RR Videos -Best $9 Ever Spent *
No Pour AGAR Tek Easy COIR Trays! *
Pink Oysters on Newspaper TEK

"Yeah?  Well, DRACULA called... and he said he's coming over tonight, and I said OK!" :mastershake:

Offlinechefinainteasy
Chef
Male User Gallery

Re: Mushrooms Naturally, L.L.C. [Re: TheApprentice]
    #16933098 - 09/29/12 03:15 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I sell to chefs i know at country clubs and restaurants. I know a lot of chefs. A good tip for you out there in larger citys, check to see if you have a local American Culinary Federation chapter in your area. If so contact them and you will have a huge network of chefs. I started selling at the farmers market, but i cant grow enough to supply all the chefs i know who are interested so the farmers market fell off. Its a lot easier to dump 20# of mushrooms in 2-3 stops on my way into work than stand at the market for 5 hours and maybe sell 20#.

I do collect sales tax from some places. A lot of country clubs are tax exempt. So is one of the restaurants because it is also a retail market.

I incorporated about a month ago. I haven't applied for grants yet but may as soon as i get my game plan to move out from the basement and do this full time. Its a lot of work being a full time chef and also running the business, but its sooooooooo worth it.

I sell the oysters for $13/# except for king oysters i sell $16/#. I haven't grown anything else in bulk yet but oysters are usually the cheapest here and prices will only go up for the others. My next species en mass will be lions main and maybe maitake, but for sure lions mane. I have my first grain master jars colonizing now.

--------------------

OfflineOICU812
NC Tree Farm owner
Male User Gallery

Re: Mushrooms Naturally, L.L.C. [Re: TheApprentice]
    #16934042 - 09/29/12 06:11 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

TheApprentice said:

That's awesome!  You rock so hard!!!!

Are you doing farmers markets?  Or do u have a resturants you supply?!!
See below

This is my dream as well.  I have some portabellos cloned on agar right now.

I wanna turn a room in my apt to a farm.

What kind of legal things do u have to do?  Collect sales tax?
We are in NC, it's different for every state.  We have applied for and been registered as a farm by the state (so we do not collect sales tax on the mushrooms we produce among other things), we are a corporation registered with the state and have a federal taxpayer ID number, we will be applying for organic certification as soon as we begin production and probably a few other things that will not come to mind right now.
Are u licensed?  Have u applied for state agriculture grants?
No license needed, just registration mentioned above.

How much are u selling your oysters for?
Not selling officially yet, still building infrastructure and doing test runs.  Oysters go for around $14/lb. at the farmer's markets and about half that to the restaurants around here.  We hired a market research firm in January to identify the markets and analyze the volume and price points.

--------------------
--------------

Edited by OICU812 (09/29/12 06:15 PM)

Offlinewoodland_jewel
In den Gärten Pharaos
Male User Gallery

Loc: Penna
    #16934216 - 09/29/12 06:47 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Chef,

As far as I understand, you shouldn't be charging sales tax for bulk produce. The purchase of food for the eventual resale in a restaurant is tax-exempt, since the restaurant will be charging sales tax to their customers. If we charged restaurants sales tax on our mushrooms, then the restaurant charged their customers tax on their food, it would amount to a double tax.

Nice vids, by the way. Looks like your setup is really coming along.

--------------------

Woodland Jewel Mushrooms
Facebook
Twitter: @woodland_jewel
Instagram

PBS filmed a feature on us, check it out HERE

Offlinechefinainteasy
Chef
Male User Gallery

Re: Mushrooms Naturally, L.L.C. [Re: woodland_jewel]
    #16934903 - 09/29/12 09:13 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I do collect and pay sales tax on the farmers market and one country club. I think because they are a non for profit establishment but still remit sales tax i am ok with charging them sales tax. But i dont to anyone else. I never thought it as double taxing but that makes sense and i guess thats why people say there tax exempt. The country clubs, since non for profit, also give me a W-9, i think, which is there declaration of tax exemption for my tax filing purposes.

OICU812, when you filed to be a registered farm, did you have to be inspected. Or was your property needed to be zoned for agriculture not industrial? I had an issue when i almost went into a ware house by my house that the city wouldn't allow it because of zoning issues. I didnt own the property so i couldn't have it rezoned.

I have many questions when it comes to becoming a fully operational farm and was wondering if anyone has ever talked to an agricultural lawyer from your state just to get state specific details?

--------------------

Offlinechefinainteasy
Chef
Male User Gallery

#16958821 - 10/03/12 01:09 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

A little grow room update, kuz who doesn't like to see these things grow?

--------------------

InvisibleHoneyrobber
Stranger
Male
Loc: TN USA
    #16958902 - 10/03/12 01:24 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

WTG I hope my adventure is as good as yours. I know I am a long way behind. I do farmer markets with berries and veggies. I think these will be a great addition.

Offlinechefinainteasy
Chef
Male User Gallery

Re: Mushrooms Naturally, L.L.C. [Re: Honeyrobber]
    #17037435 - 10/15/12 07:12 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

A little eye candy from this weeks harvests......

Thanks to the wife for the photography:grin:

--------------------

OfflineOICU812
NC Tree Farm owner
Male User Gallery

#17040149 - 10/16/12 05:16 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Great looking flushes!  Good idea to fruit several colors of Pleurotis.  This will make a fantastic display at the market.

--------------------
--------------

Invisiblearago
Mr. Wind Up Bird
Male

#17041175 - 10/16/12 10:45 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Good God Almighty!  What a post!  You've put a lot of work into this.  And the photography is awesome.  :rockon:

OfflineGrumpyorc
Ghost

#17041286 - 10/16/12 11:09 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

chefinainteasy said:
A little eye candy from this weeks harvests......

Thanks to the wife for the photography:grin:

Beuatiful!!!

--------------------

OfflineShiitakeWarrior
Stranger

Re: Mushrooms Naturally, L.L.C. [Re: Grumpyorc]
    #17042122 - 10/16/12 01:53 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Great Video's.  Eye candy for those Oysters is looking sharp.  Very Vibrant Colours.  I have a pearl culture I'm playing with but am pretty sure it was contaminated.  (Bad season for me to start here, Lot of threshing and harvesting in the country)  Have to give it another week and see what the Myc's like. 

You're grow room is inspiring.  I'm still in the startup phases so for the moment am getting Shelving units to be storing the bags while they colonize.

Kudos A++ work Chef

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract