Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
African newspapers trash Bush's visit.
    #1703183 - 07/10/03 03:33 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

The African Bush
By June Thomas
Posted Wednesday, July 9, 2003, at 5:41 PM PT

George W. Bush's trip to Africa?with stops in Botswana, Nigeria, Senegal, South Africa, and Uganda?received a lukewarm welcome from the African press. South Africa's Sunday Times said the whirlwind tour is "part of an elaborate plan to give [Bush's] presidency a human face. Being seen to be helping 'poor, starving Africans,' and expressing support for the New Partnership for Africa's Development will work with African-American voters who are key to Bush's re-election campaign." On a less high-minded note, an op-ed in the Nation of Kenya looked forward to hearing Bush "pronounce African tongue-twister names like Olusegun Obasanjo and Abdoulaye Wade."

South Africa's Mail and Guardian likened Bush to a prostitute: "Like the world's oldest profession, the Republican administration of United States President George W Bush has interests, rather than principles." The editorial warned, "It would be a mistake to take Bush's 'compassionate agenda' seriously. His whistle-stop tour of five African countries ? must be seen for what it is?hard-eyed self-service posing as a mercy mission." Bush's main concerns, the paper said, are "domestic security, the advancement of corporate America and the securing of strategic assets, mainly oil." The paper concluded, "Africa can exert some beneficial influence in bringing the world's most destructive and irresponsible rogue state back into line."

The Cape Argus said it was in the United States' interest to help Africa: "The 11 conflicts currently tearing the continent apart must ? make Bush realise that any one of those theatres of war has the potential to hide and nurture those who wish to harm the US. ? It is important that when Bush leaves, he leaves behind hope and economic prospects that will lift Africans out of poverty." The Cape Times, meanwhile, counseled Bush's opponents to exercise "restraint and sobriety" in the interests of realpolitik. "It is foolish to castigate and vilify the US yet, in the same breath, demand that the US increase its aid to Africa."

The Financial Times said Bush goofed by leaving Kenya off his itinerary. The East African nation has suffered significant losses as a result of two al-Qaida bombings?of the U.S. Embassy in Nairobi in 1998 and an Israeli-owned hotel in Mombassa last November. "In both cases, the victims were mostly Kenyans. Subsequent warnings against travel to Kenya by the US, Britain and others ? have caused disproportionate damage to its economy. If anyone wants to persuade Africans that the world does not treat them unfairly, this is not the way to do it."

An op-ed in Kenya's East African concluded that Bush is not serious about Africa because "he won't eat matooke." Rather than traveling with his own chefs, the president should sample local food, because for "most Africans nothing speaks more eloquently of your affection for them ? than having a meal in their homes."

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
Re: African newspapers trash Bush's visit. [Re: Rono]
    #1703194 - 07/10/03 03:36 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah but at least he's doing this instead of more war. And most of this is silly. 'He wont eat matooke'? Oh no!!!

Even if his motives are suspect, he should be judged by his actions.

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Re: African newspapers trash Bush's visit. [Re: pattern]
    #1703200 - 07/10/03 03:38 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

he should be judged by his actions.

I agree 100%...so when's the trial?

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
    #1703203 - 07/10/03 03:39 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

hahaha  :lol:

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1703710 - 07/10/03 06:46 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

It doesn't matter much anyway, since neither one of you are citizens here. :smile:

Looks like we will be going into Liberia soon. Is that OK with you two? The UN and all of Europe wants us to.

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator

Re: African newspapers trash Bush's visit. [Re: shakta]
    #1704295 - 07/10/03 10:14 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

African Newspaper. African Newspaper. FOUND by a Canadian.POSTED by a Canadian. African newspaper.

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #1704323 - 07/10/03 10:24 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

"hard-eyed self-service posing as a mercy mission."

Africa isn't buying it.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

InvisibleLos_Pepes
Stranger

Re: African newspapers trash Bush's visit. [Re: Learyfan]
    #4686640 - 09/20/05 03:49 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
    #4686728 - 09/20/05 04:17 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

pattern said:
Yeah but at least he's doing this instead of more war.  And most of this is silly.  'He wont eat matooke'?  Oh no!!!

Even if his motives are suspect, he should be judged by his actions. 

eating the matooke is very important :laugh:

--------------------
We got Nothing!
we're no longer selling jars.  :laugh:

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

#4686824 - 09/20/05 04:42 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Black people hate George Bush. Racists. Let that useless country rot in its own starving AIDS infested corpses.

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #4686889 - 09/20/05 05:00 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I'm sure their tune would be different if Bush was giving out money.... :rolleyes:

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: African newspapers trash Bush's visit. [Re: daimyo]
    #4687340 - 09/20/05 06:53 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

nice...didn't the 'one true god' teach compassion and
to love one another?

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

InvisibleTheHateCamel
Research &Development -DBK
    #4687423 - 09/20/05 07:08 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations -- entangling alliances with none.
-Thomas Jefferson

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

Re: African newspapers trash Bush's visit. [Re: afoaf]
    #4688390 - 09/20/05 10:45 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

afoaf said:
nice...didn't the 'one true god' teach compassion and
to love one another?

No. He was not a teacher. He is the creator who made everything and left the rest to us.
You are thinking of some long haired hippie guru.

Quote:

TheHateCamel said:
Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations -- entangling alliances with none.
-Thomas Jefferson

Exactly. It is time we stop burdening ourselves with saving other countries from their plights. Let them all do what they want as long as it doesn't involve us. And failing that, take them over and reap the benefits.

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #4689259 - 09/21/05 05:26 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

> Let them all do what they want as long as it doesn't involve us.

Unfortunately, this isn't possible... the earth has gotten too small... my front yard is your back yard, so to speak.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
Re: African newspapers trash Bush's visit. [Re: Seuss]
    #4690419 - 09/21/05 01:43 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Why isn't it possible? Non-intervention does not mean isolation. It may not be what you want, but this does not been it's not possible. It certainly would serve the American taxpayers well and result in less ill will if the U.S. would have a non-interventionist foreign policy. There is no evidence to say that it will not work, merely sentiment. Why would it be wrong to abandon the traditions of imperialism and interventionism which have been infecting the republic since The Spanish American War?

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: African newspapers trash Bush's visit. [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #4691424 - 09/21/05 05:49 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Prosgeopax said:
Why isn't it possible? Non-intervention does not mean isolation. It may not be what you want, but this does not been it's not possible. It certainly would serve the American taxpayers well and result in less ill will if the U.S. would have a non-interventionist foreign policy. There is no evidence to say that it will not work, merely sentiment. Why would it be wrong to abandon the traditions of imperialism and interventionism which have been infecting the republic since The Spanish American War?

In light of this opinion, would you be in favor of withdrawing from Iraq?

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

OfflineInbadtaste
Stranger
    #4693769 - 09/22/05 01:38 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

daimyo said:
Black people hate George Bush. Racists. Let that useless country rot in its own starving AIDS infested corpses.

Lets see, a lot of people dont like Bush. He doesnt particularly care about anybody but the wealthy who support him. You really think that people who dont like Bush should rot or only black people who dont like him?

I mean your statement is blatently racist and moronic yet you are complaining about racism. Pathetic much? Your maturity level is truly off the charts and I hope karma kicks you in the ass just like you deserve.

OfflineInbadtaste
Stranger
    #4693775 - 09/22/05 01:42 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Exactly. It is time we stop burdening ourselves with saving other countries from their plights. Let them all do what they want as long as it doesn't involve us. And failing that, take them over and reap the benefits.

Why do you consider it such a burden to help out humankind? Granted we live in a particular territory but its pretty cold to not care about anybody outside of your region.

I do agree to an extent that we shouldnt involve ourselves needlessly (Iraq for example) but there are certain times where anybody who can help should. America included.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: African newspapers trash Bush's visit. [Re: Inbadtaste]
    #4694142 - 09/22/05 07:36 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Inbadtaste, I strongly suggest you re-read the rules of this forum before posting here again. No flaming allowed. Telling a user their "maturity level is off the charts" and wishing for karma to kick them in the ass qualifies as flaming.

You get one warning. This is that warning.

Phred

--------------------

Invisiblenewuser1492
Re: African newspapers trash Bush's visit. [Re: TheHateCamel]
    #4694198 - 09/22/05 08:01 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

TheHateCamel said:
-Thomas Jefferson

If you're going to include a Thomas Jefferson quote here you might as well include the "bad" with the good.

Quote:

"Nothing is more certainly written in the book of fate than that these people [african slaves] are to be free: nor is it less certain that the two races, equally free, cannot live in the same government." -Thomas Jefferson.

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

#4694547 - 09/22/05 09:53 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Inbadtaste said:
Quote:

daimyo said:

Lets see, a lot of people dont like Bush. He doesnt particularly care about anybody but the wealthy who support him. You really think that people who dont like Bush should rot or only black people who dont like him?

My comment, as pertains to rotting, has nothing to do with people who do not like George Bush. I do not like George Bush. For all I care he can go rot with the people he continues to waste tax dollars on.

Quote:

Inbadtaste said:
I mean your statement is blatently racist and moronic yet you are complaining about racism.

That was a play on what Kanye West said a few weeks ago. Over your head I guess.

Quote:

Inbadtaste said:
Pathetic much? Your maturity level is truly off the charts and I hope karma kicks you in the ass just like you deserve.

And your comment is an example of maturity? Now we know why you picked "Inbadtaste" as your name.

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: African newspapers trash Bush's visit. [Re: Phred]
    #4694711 - 09/22/05 10:51 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
You get one warning. This is that warning.

You sound so authoritative and macho when you use that line.

OfflineInbadtaste
Stranger
Re: African newspapers trash Bush's visit. [Re: Phred]
    #4707892 - 09/25/05 12:09 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Would seem that any type of addressing the fact that a person said something, could qualify as flaming in your view. Thanks for the warning though, its noted.

BTW, if I said that you or somebody else amused me... Is that flaming?

OfflineInbadtaste
Stranger
    #4707908 - 09/25/05 12:13 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I dont know what Kanye West said so.....

And Im sure glad that you didnt violate any flaming rules this board has in place.

In all honest, I dont know where the hell you were coming from. I can admit that as I can't necessarily decipher the tone of ones post.

Your comment about rotting was not based on the notion they didnt like Bush. What was it based on ?

Offlinekotik
fuckingsuperhero
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #4708774 - 09/25/05 07:08 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

haha how bout this quote:

Quote:

"blacks, whether originally a distinct race, or made distinct by time and circumstance, are inferior to the whites in the endowment both of body and mind"

came from a book im reading called "Mismeasure of Man" by Stephen Jay Gould.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Offlinekotik
fuckingsuperhero
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: African newspapers trash Bush's visit. [Re: kotik]
    #4708912 - 09/25/05 08:24 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

i didnt realize it was so strict around here. if that is flaming.. then shit...

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
    #4708939 - 09/25/05 08:33 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

i think it was the 'just like you deserve' part that sent it over the top...

--------------------
We got Nothing!
we're no longer selling jars.  :laugh:

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #4709001 - 09/25/05 09:01 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Also, the name calling is a dead giveaway.

daimyo's last two comments were borderline:

" Over your head I guess."

"And your comment is an example of maturity? Now we know why you picked "Inbadtaste" as your name. "

It's interesting to note that some users, after extensive testing find "the line" and then ride it forever. They rarely actually break the rules, but what they do is just constantly poke at them.

We hate those people.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #4709044 - 09/25/05 09:20 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

kotik said:
haha how bout this quote:

Quote:

"blacks, whether originally a distinct race, or made distinct by time and circumstance, are inferior to the whites in the endowment both of body and mind"

came from a book im reading called "Mismeasure of Man" by Stephen Jay Gould.

Is that SJG saying that or is it included in the book as someone else's quote? If so you should identify it as such.

--------------------

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: African newspapers trash Bush's visit. [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #4709054 - 09/25/05 09:27 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
It's interesting to note that some users, after extensive testing find "the line" and then ride it forever. They rarely actually break the rules, but what they do is just constantly poke at them.

We hate those people.

Come on. It's an art!

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: African newspapers trash Bush's visit. [Re: looner2]
    #4709103 - 09/25/05 09:41 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Banning also is an art.

--------------------

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

#4709155 - 09/25/05 09:56 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
daimyo's last two comments were borderline:

" Over your head I guess."

"And your comment is an example of maturity? Now we know why you picked "Inbadtaste" as your name. "

Over your head = you didn't get it, not "you're as dumb as a box of rocks".
The other one was just a way of saying "your remarks were less than admirable. especially when you hold others to such high standards of maturity."
If my arguments/beliefs are so weak that I ever feel the need to lower myself to name-calling I will do so in OTD.

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:

We hate those people.

Was that a masked attack on me? Or was it you giving an example of how to "ride the line"?
Either way, it doesn't matter. It is not a direct flame, and deserves no ban.
If people have mastered the art(as looner pointed out) of debasing somebody without direct assault, then I say bravo! Such hidden wit is to be expected from a crowd of political people.

--------------------

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4709223 - 09/25/05 10:15 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

You're fine man. You're not one of "them". If you were you would know.

How many times have you been banned? I can personally remember approximately zero.

Your comments address the messenger moreso than the message, which just barely kinda qualifies as a broader category of responses that includes flaming. I'm not even issuing you a warning.

You were technically addressing an arguement that was illegally made in the form of a character assault by questioning the accuser's character. This is entireely logical as a defense in a character assault. You can't measure the accuracy of an instrument with a less accurate instrument, but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

That's the cardinal rule of entropy.

There's probably some latin name for it as well. If MM were here, I'm sure he could tell us.

--------------------

InvisibleLos_Pepes
Stranger

#4711089 - 09/25/05 06:32 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale