Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Professional Cereal Box

Loc: Nagoon Lagoon
Letting go!
    #1701764 - 07/10/03 05:45 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I do not know if any of you are familiar with the concept of entropy.  But entropy states that all systems of order eventually decay.  Now neg-entropy is the attempts of mankind to fight entropy.  The futile process of neg-entropy however inevitably accelerates entropy in other areas of the system of order than that we are trying to save.  Now in regards to pyrokinesis and spontaneous combustion, I postulate that oxizidation(which has many forms including combustion, rusting and the action of an acid on a solid) is the concept of entropy in action.  So  If this process is naturally occuring all around us in all things and is the natural state of being for matter.  Would it be too far off base to say that our mere perception of things not spontaneously bursting into flame is a form of neg-entropy.  After all the mind is a powerfull thing and our mere perceptions  as an individual or as a group undoubtedly have power.  But how much power.  Is it enough to influence physical matter at it's basest atomic level.  Who knows. But what if we could individually or even collectively change our perception of what is acceptible and let go of our efforts at neg-entropy.  To just let the matter be in the state it naturally desires to be in, it's most basic elemental components.  Could we effectively have the power of pyrokinesis?
Comments please.  This is just me flexing my mental muscle and I would love to have some other opinions on this subject. :rolleyes:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
carbon unit

Loc: Europe
Re: Letting go! [Re: FrozenHappiness]
    #1701859 - 07/10/03 08:00 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

The increase of entropy is not a force that causes things to happen, it is just a statement about which physical state changes are most likely in a situation where there is a lot of entropy. The most general definition of entropy is the amount of unknown information, or randomness.

The reason why things normally don't spontaneously burst into flames is because there is an energy barrier that must be overcome first. This can be accomplished by striking a match or doing anything else that raises the temperature above the combustion point.

The negative changes in entropy that we experience here on Earth are all caused by the fact that the energy radiated away from the earth has a much lower temperature than the energy that is received from the sun, even though the energy balance is zero. Since a given amount of energy has lower entropy at higher temperature, the net result is that entropy is dissipated from the surface of the Earth.

World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #1701999 - 07/10/03 10:55 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Would it be too far off base to say that our mere perception of things not spontaneously bursting into flame is a form of neg-entropy.

Not really, i see it as a balance between both, entropy and neg-entropy. We don't understand the mechanism that change such balance, in the case of combustion, i don't believe collective mind power has an objective and controlled force such as pyrokinesis, although i believe some individuals are able to do this objectively, others may do it without knowing but not in synch with many at the same time.
We also should include environmental variables in such process, as reality which surround, works in two ways, it affect us and we affect it.

Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.

Burning withCircles!
Loc: Hell
    #1702467 - 07/10/03 02:24 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Could we effectively have the power of pyrokinesis?

Yes i forget the number of quantum energy in a cubic inch unit of space, but its equal to several atomic bombs.

So yes we can!

And the gameshow host rings the buzzer (brrnnntt) oh and now you get a face full of face!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology