Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
This thread is very old and might contain outdated or inaccurate information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShdwstr
FSRCanada
Male

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: AMORPHOUS DIATOMACEOUS EARTH (ADE) [Re: agar]
    #4473438 - 07/30/05 01:57 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

agar said:
NO.... the kind you find in a nursery - is what you want.

NOT - the swimming pool filter stuff.

I was told they were the same. With the single exception that the pool supply was more finely sifted.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would like to know for sure.

Thanks
Shdwstr

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: AMORPHOUS DIATOMACEOUS EARTH (ADE) [Re: Shdwstr]
    #4473631 - 07/30/05 03:23 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Correct me if i'm wrong Agar, but the swimming pool DE has been calcined. I'm thinking this process causes the material to be very dry and dusty when used. Also i'd think this process would rendor it's moisture holding capabilities. I remember him talking about this elsewhere. The definition of calcined.........

To heat (a substance) to a high temperature but below the melting or fusing point, causing loss of moisture, reduction or oxidation, and the decomposition of carbonates and other compounds.

Edited by hotnutz (07/30/05 05:08 PM)

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: AMORPHOUS DIATOMACEOUS EARTH (ADE) [Re: Hotnuts]
    #4474303 - 07/30/05 07:15 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

The CALCINED type is no longer AMORPHOUS. Calcined DE is the stuff that will cause respiratory distress, silicosis & other BS - that is NOT GOOD FOR YOU. I stay the hell away from it.

Good old natural DE is BONE DRY, 70 to0 80 + % voids & those voids are what soaks up & fills with moisture. Then releases that moisture - on demand - to a substrate - and/or - casing cover.

--------------------

Offlinetops008
Avid Student
Re: AMORPHOUS DIATOMACEOUS EARTH (ADE) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #4571636 - 08/23/05 06:43 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
I added some to the last batch of horse manure/compost I made up. I noticed prior to pasteurization I had the substrate at field moisture capacity. After pasteurization(in sealed quart jars by my usual method) when I made up the bins, it seemed a bit on the wet side. I went ahead and used it, so I'll let you know how it goes. Anything that continues to hold moisture during the cropping cycle seems like a good deal. Thanks for the tip.
RR

How did this grow end up going?

Offlinedeva1
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: AMORPHOUS DIATOMACEOUS EARTH (ADE) [Re: tops008]
    #4615082 - 09/03/05 02:47 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

DE has also been used as a natural wormer for animals. It slices/dices pathogens internally just like colloidal silver.

Offlinelohnjennon
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: AMORPHOUS DIATOMACEOUS EARTH (ADE) [Re: agar]
    #16941821 - 10/01/12 12:23 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

You can also find this at some health food stores. Some people take it as a dietary supplement.

OfflineOregonChronic
Iron, Lion, Cyans
 User Gallery

Loc: Scoping Woodchips
Re: AMORPHOUS DIATOMACEOUS EARTH (ADE) [Re: lohnjennon]
    #16979021 - 10/06/12 07:16 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Not to encourage the revival of a 7yr old thread, but I'm interested. I recently had horrible fungus gnat problems and it seems they always get into my tubs and breed. I read on another thread somewhere about adding ADE to bulk substrate, and when the fungus gnats go to lay larvae, the larvae then eat the DAE and die, stopping them from breeding continuously. If I ever get gnats again (hopefully not) ill have to try this on em

--------------------
:mushroomgrow:Wavy Cap Cyan Spore Prints for Trade/Sale :mushroomgrow:

OfflineAlwaysLearning
Stranger
Re: AMORPHOUS DIATOMACEOUS EARTH (ADE) [Re: OregonChronic]
    #17012630 - 10/11/12 05:11 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

The way I understand it, for pest control at least, is that the microscopic shells that make up DE have a bunch of spines and sharp edges which scratch away the waxy coating that lets an insect keep its moisture on the inside. So the bug gets fatally dehydrated. But that means in realistic amounts it doesn't hurt soft-bodied animals. It can dry your skin out a little, and you shouldn't eat big handfuls of it, but overall we're too squishy for it to kill us. Stuff like slugs, too.

Its worth looking up some pics of the diatom shells, though. There's some amazing shapes to them.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies