Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemeguh0
yoyo
Air exchange advice
    #1697303 - 07/08/03 07:03 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

A friend is using a 3.5ft by 2ft x 2ft rubber maid container for a fruiting environment. Now, he plans on using a standard computer case fan(80mm) for air intake and another 80mm computer fan for co2 discharge. Hes thinking that it shouldn't take long at all to exchange air, 30 seconds max with 1 fan blowing in and 1 fan blowing out. Is he safe in that assumption? Also, he plans on having these fans on a timer. The problem is, he will be using perlite for humidity and is concerned that too much relative humidity will be lost with the fan air exchange. So in order to minimize the loss of humidity, what time frame do you recommend the fans be on? Perhaps on for 30 seconds ever 6 hours? More often? Less often? Keep in mind that he wont be able to mist these everyday, so the need to stay humid even after air exchange is very important. Oh and one other variable, he was thinking that even if the humidity drops to the 70 - 80ish range, that might actually be preferable for casings? Anyway.. thank you in advance.

--------------------
Don't argue with stupid people.
They will drag you to their level
and beat you with experience.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFallenShroom
Shagadelic

Re: Air exchange advice [Re: meguh0]
    #1697319 - 07/08/03 07:11 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

i think your method will work fine i dont see it dropping below 70% for very long and will revive with a nice layer of perlite . casings you really dont want all that high of a humidity or even when pinning is in progress the trick will be keeping the humidity in there with 2 say 60mm fan holes there

--------------------

InvisibleAinasko
Oksania
Re: Air exchange advice [Re: FallenShroom]
    #1697351 - 07/08/03 07:32 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

80mm fans can move quite a bit of air alone. In pairs, very efficient.

Fanning every six hours sounds fine. My only concern would be if the volume or perlite you have would be enough to raise the humidity to optimum ranges within the six hour period without assistance of misting of humidifier.

This could easily be corrected by adding more perlite or adding a humidifer.

--------------------
Ainasko is my name backwards. I'm a girl!

Offlinemeguh0
yoyo
Re: Air exchange advice [Re: Ainasko]
    #1697666 - 07/08/03 09:33 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks guys and gals. I'll tell my friend to give it a shot, and let you know her results.

--------------------

Offlinelemunhed
The hustler'shustler

Loc: Ur moms house
    #1697675 - 07/08/03 09:36 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

You want to cover up the fan hole with something, or even switch to a smaller fan that is on for more extended periods of time. Look at computer power supply fans, they are smaller... maybe 50mm or something (that's a real rough guess)

--------------------
You're pompeius, aren't you? I'll make a pompeian of you unless you hold your toungue!

-Tiberius Claudius Nero

Offlinechineseguy
Stranger

Loc: Chongqing, China
    #1698662 - 07/09/03 02:41 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

how will your friend prevent contams from entering the input fan or the exhaust fan when it is turned off?

how will the fans be attached to the chamber?

Offlinemeguh0
yoyo
Re: Air exchange advice [Re: chineseguy]
    #1700281 - 07/09/03 04:48 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I'd imagine you would cut holes in the tupperware container and seal the fans in with some sort of glue, then i suppose you could have a small box with the bottom and top open. Then put a sheet of tyvek or coffee filter over the bottom, that way you have a filter box over the outside side of the fan. That sound ok?

--------------------

OfflinePsilocybin_monkey
Shroomer

Loc: Dragon's Den
    #1700289 - 07/09/03 04:49 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------
Welcome to my world!

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #1700442 - 07/09/03 05:37 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

In the short time since comming up with this many have used it with good results.

Try this

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Invisiblecalicyco
Re: Air exchange advice [Re: Magash]
    #1700537 - 07/09/03 06:24 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

You dont have to worry about contams in a fruiting chamber. Opening the chamber and harvesting mushrooms introduces billions of contaminants. Covering the fan holes helps keep humidity from being lost, but dont worry about contaminants. Once you are at fruiting stage, contamination is an eventuality but who cares, the mycelium will fight it off for some time.

People fan the chambers, blasting the surface with contams. It isn't a big worry. Just FYI... you should be more concerned with proper temps and air exchange, THAT affects contamination much more then the mere presence of contams, which will be there in truckloads in any case.

OfflinePsilocybin_monkey
Shroomer

Loc: Dragon's Den
Re: Air exchange advice [Re: calicyco]
    #1700776 - 07/09/03 08:15 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

yeah I agree when the substarte is 100% colonized the mycelium is stronger and can fight of cantams with no problems for the most part,so you pretty much can touch the mycelium with bear uncleaned hands and not have much to worry about.

NOTE:but i wouldn't do that i would still try to be clean as posible that was example how strong it gets to fight off contams

--------------------
Welcome to my world!

Offlinemeguh0
yoyo
Re: Air exchange advice [Re: Psilocybin_monkey]
    #1701069 - 07/09/03 10:12 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Well my friend has a 55 gallon container. Using 2 80 mm computer fans(one intake, one out) they each will push about 26.5 Cubic feet per minute. So with 2, she should get 100% air exchange in 1 min. Put this on a 6 hour timer, so 4 times a day. I would think that shouldn't dry her container out very fast at all, and give the perlite plenty of time to kick he humidity back up.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies