Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, HEPA Filter

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebonghittr
Stranger
 User Gallery
A new way to introduce sterile air into the fruiting chamber
    #1695257 - 07/08/03 03:06 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I was doing some reading concerning the cultivation of certain fungus, and ran across this:

Quote:

Obtain several ordinary 1 gallon jugs. Place a two-hole stopper in the necks of the jugs. Fit a short (6 inch) glass tube in one hole, leaving 2 inches above the stopper. Fit a short rubber tube to this. Fill a small (500 milliliter) Erlenmeyer flask with a dilute solution of sodium hypochlorite, and extend a glass tube from the rubber tube so the end is immersed in the hypochlorite. Fit a long, glass tube in the other stopper hole. It must reach near the bottom of the jug and have about two inches showing above the stopper. Attach a rubber tube to the glass tube as short or as long as desired, and fit a short glass tube to the end of the rubber tube. Fill a large, glass tube (1 inch x 6 inches) with sterile cotton and fit 1-hole stoppers in the ends. Fit the small, glass tube in end of the rubber tube into 1 stopper of the large tube. Fit another small glass tube in the other stopper. A rubber tube is connected to this and attached to a small air pump obtained from a tropical fish supply store. You now have a set-up for pumping air from the pump, through the cotton filter, down the long glass tube in the jug, through the solution to the air space in the top of the jug, through the short glass tube, down to the bottom of the Erlenmeyer flask and up through the sodium hypochlorite solution into the atmosphere. With this aeration equipment you can assure a supply of clean air to the fungus while maintaining a sterile atmosphere inside the solution.

Anyone have any ideas to whether or not this would work well? Or how long the sodium hypochlorite will be clean for?

I appreciate any and all feedback.

bong-

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBatFly
captain obvious

Re: A new way to introduce sterile air into the fruiting chamber [Re: bonghittr]
    #1696134 - 07/08/03 12:43 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

not sure how well it would work, but your newbie smileys area AWSOME!!!!! had to sit and watch em like 3 time through hehe

Offlinebonghittr
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: A new way to introduce sterile air into the fruiting chamber [Re: BatFly]
    #1696978 - 07/08/03 06:27 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

BatFly said:
not sure how well it would work, but your newbie smileys area AWSOME!!!!!    had to sit and watch em like 3 time through  hehe 

Thanks :smile: They are quite hypnotic after a while.  Sometimes i just find myself being sucked into their vortex.. (well not really... but it sounded good)  :smirk:

bong- 

Offlinemushroomspoon
out of gas

Loc: in a jar of blue honey
Re: A new way to introduce sterile air into the fruiting chamber [Re: bonghittr]
    #1696996 - 07/08/03 06:34 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

that would probably work fine but theres a much simpler method that i believe works just as well. You take a quart jar and you fill it about half way with a weak bleach/water solution. then you run tubes into the top of a jar that are connected to a fish tank bubbler. now instead of having a normal lid on the top of the jar you use a hepa filter disk instead. this way the air goes through the bleach water solution and then again through the hepa filter which should pretty much guarantee that the air being cycled into your chamber is 100% contaminate free.

--------------------
-----------
herbs are fun

Offlinebonghittr
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: A new way to introduce sterile air into the fruiting chamber [Re: mushroomspoon]
    #1697034 - 07/08/03 06:49 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

mushroomspoon said:
that would probably work fine but theres a much simpler method that i believe works just as well. You take a quart jar and you fill it about half way with a weak bleach/water solution. then you run tubes into the top of a jar that are connected to a fish tank bubbler. now instead of having a normal lid on the top of the jar you use a hepa filter disk instead. this way the air goes through the bleach water solution and then again through the hepa filter which should pretty much guarantee that the air being cycled into your chamber is 100% contaminate free.

Thanks mushroomspoon I didn't know if any other substances could be used with the same success. To me this seems much easier than encasing the air pump in an airtight container with a hepa filter fitted to it.

bong-

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, HEPA Filter

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation