Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Loc: Australia
colchinine
    #1673481 - 06/30/03 07:52 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

just wondering if anybody has tried to use colchinine on there spores to genetically mutate shrooms, or wonder if it could be used in hybriding 2 totally opposite type of spores?

--------------------
suicide a permanent solution to a temporary problem

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: colchinine [Re: spudamore]
    #1673511 - 06/30/03 08:18 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I couldn't get spores to germinate on colchicine plates, but maybe it was just the experiment (only tried it once and not that many spores/SA.)

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Offlinepsilo9com
Koh Koh Gadget

Re: colchinine [Re: micro]
    #1675777 - 07/01/03 12:44 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Isn't that shit hella-dangerous? I'm fine with the way mine are now, thanks. :smile:

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: colchinine [Re: psilo9com]
    #1676353 - 07/01/03 07:38 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, it is. I have a few chemical hoods at my disposal, however. I wouldn't reccomnd working with it without one.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: colchinine [Re: micro]
    #1676918 - 07/01/03 12:29 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

A simple search should reveal lots of information. I've discussed this repeatedly around here since about 99 when I first joined under this nick. Most recently, Micro and myself discussed the subject, and there are a lot of resources in that thread.

Please, everybody, remind people every time, every thread, every time colchicine and other dangerous mutagens are discussed that:

COLCHICINE IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND/OR DEADLY. DO NOT FUCK WITH IT UNLESS YOU CAN HANDLE DEADLY POISONOUS MATERIALS PROPERLY.

If you wouldn't be comfortable working with agent orange in your lab, don't fuck with other deadly chemicals.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Edited by mycofile (07/01/03 12:29 PM)

Anonymous

Re: colchinine [Re: spudamore]
    #1677656 - 07/01/03 06:25 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I am curious what is expected to happen if you actually get a diploid monokaryon to form? What do you do with it? It isn't self fertile, because the chromosomes will be identical sets!!!

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: colchinine [Re: ]
    #1677777 - 07/01/03 07:10 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Teo, did you ever see those russian bear laddies who were disqualified from the olympics back in the 70s or 80s for having too many chromosomes? They were fierce.

Now, of course just cuz they were scarry, doesn't mean you'll get a super shroom, but look at strawberries for a more relevant example.

Nearly every strawberry you've ever bought was polyploid. They are bigger, juicier and yield much more per plant. This was done with colchicine, or agents like it.

Nobody has ever conclusively shown that fungus, or ours in particular will yield similar positive results, but then again, there hasn't even been any educated guesses that it wouldn't work.
But be careful or leave it to the experts.

--------------------

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Edited by mycofile (07/01/03 07:11 PM)

Anonymous

Re: colchinine [Re: mycofile]
    #1686371 - 07/04/03 12:17 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Plants are easier, because of a lack of Dimorphism. If you treat spores and they become diploid, they still have to mate. Fertile mushrooms are formed by the mating of opposites. The diploid monokaryon is not self fertile, so it has to mate with a haploid or diploid monokaryon.

In plants it is primarily used to make Diploids from haploids for breeding purposes( homozygous recessives).

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: colchinine [Re: ]
    #1693346 - 07/07/03 02:13 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

sure, the spores still need to mate, but the resulting mycelium will not be the typcial diploid, but will be quatraploid (is that a word?), assuming you have two treated hyphae mating. if you have a treated and a non-treated hyphae mate you would have a triploid mycelium as the result.

Now, what this means to the fungus, yield, potency, etc nobody knows.

--------------------

OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
    #1694140 - 07/07/03 06:52 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, quadruploid is, I think, a word, and it's something that happens with plants, though infrequently. Leads to some neat mutants. %)

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

InvisibleChampion des Champignons
long standing member;)

Loc: Alba
    #1694622 - 07/07/03 09:40 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

quatraploid (is that a word?)

tetraploid;)

--------------------
---------------------------------------------------
hmmm........

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: colchinine [Re: Champion des Champignons]
    #1696154 - 07/08/03 10:53 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

that's right, tetraploid! Thanks, been a while since I had any formal biology classes.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags