Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Are hippies enlightened? [Re: Dogomush]
    #1693950 - 07/07/03 05:45 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

No group of people can people can be enlightened. Only individuals can. There are individual hippies and individual workers who are relatively enlightened(I don't believe it is possible to be totally enlightened. Anyone who labels themself as either is not enlightened(they are committing an act of "bad faith," as Sartre put it).

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Are hippies enlightened? [Re: BetMomIsProud]
    #1694053 - 07/07/03 06:33 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I've had hippies tell me that the
world would be better off without people like me who see no harm in cutting down a
tree. Now my question is this: How can someone who holds that much hate in their
heart and mind truly be free of anything? The system's slavery is nothing compared to
the shackels that some "hippies" put on themselves. True enlightenment cannot, in my
mind, be achieved through a belief system founded on hatred.

Not that i'm condoning what that "hippie" said, but when you have a certain idea about how the world could and should be, it gets very frustrating to see everyone go the opposite direction. Some people think I "hate" Bush, but I do not. Do I think this planet would be better off without him? Yes, but that doesn't mean I "hate" him. I see him as an extremely corrupt version of myself.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Are hippies enlightened? [Re: silversoul7]
    #1694062 - 07/07/03 06:35 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
No group of people can people can be enlightened. Only individuals can. There are individual hippies and individual workers who are relatively enlightened(I don't believe it is possible to be totally enlightened. Anyone who labels themself as either is not enlightened(they are committing an act of "bad faith," as Sartre put it).

True. Only a dead person could be totally enlightened IMO. Everyone living is enlightened to some degree.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Anonymous

Re: Are hippies enlightened? [Re: atomikfunksoldier]
    #1694335 - 07/07/03 07:44 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

-the stereotypical hippie negates reality in order to justify his pointless actions. He thinks "man, fuck the economy" not even knowing what the "economy" truely is. He believes that all life can be sustained by his form of hippie love, when in actuality, if it wasnt for the "economy" he would be fucked because he is such a lazy idiot. If the hippy was forced to actually work for his food, (hunting, farming) he would probably end up doing what is doing now, living on the fringes of society and stealing someone elses hard-earned food when he gets the chance.

talk about stereotyping.

the word "hippie" is just a label not coined by "hippies" but by the masses to describe the counter-culture that held different beliefs and values than society. in order to shun them, they deemed them "hippies" and hence the negativity associated with it.

being born in the "system" ... and oblivious to it's workings is the state that many people choose to live in.

being born in the "system"... and realizing its evils is a whole different ballgame... you can't survive without sustaining yourself, and the only way to sustain yourself is in the system. people that dislike the way this world is working rebel in various ways, and its impossible to completely free yourself from it, minus not living in the woods somewhere, but then again, that wouldn't help solve the problem that these people see, now would it?

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

#1694352 - 07/07/03 07:52 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

It is all stereotyping... every person is different obviously.. But this is a hypothetical discussion right?

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Re: Are hippies enlightened? [Re: Grav]
    #1694806 - 07/07/03 10:30 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

What form of enlightenment? The same that the buddha had?

Guys, am I missing something? That is like asking who is the better auto-mechanic....the person who restrains himself from alcohol, or the person who allows himself to drink alcoholic beverages?

In all honesty, Hipster vs. Social-Economical Participant , they are both outward paths....and all different kinds of people can fall into these outward paths.

What is MUCH MORE IMPORTANT is the inward path. Although someone's outer life is a reflection of their inner life - enlightenment is completely an inner journey, and the outer journey reflects it.

I would say someone who traffics harmful drugs, or works for a fast food corporation, etc etc would not reflect an enlightenment.

Some hipster who spends his life smoking pot and droppnig acid who whines about government this government that is not an enlightened being.

However, there could be hippies AND 9-5ers who are enlightened alike.

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
    #1694893 - 07/07/03 10:53 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

since this question deals in stereotypes, I shall as well. A hippie is more enlightened than a neo con because a hippie is nicer.

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
Re: Are hippies enlightened? [Re: Malachi]
    #1694931 - 07/07/03 11:03 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

well if we're REALLY dealing in stereotypes I would say that a hippie is more enlightened by definition and the "guy who works" is a slave to.. whatever.

Offlineatomikfunksoldier
T'was born oftrue in the yearof the cock!

Loc: a human-infested anthill
Re: Are hippies enlightened? [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1695196 - 07/08/03 12:34 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

"A hippie is more enlightened than a neo con because a hippie is nicer"

you should meet a few more hippies, so you can expand your hippie stereotype, ive met many a hippie who was just as "evil" as a CEO. And since when does work have anything to do with enlightenment? a slave cant be enlightened? why not? isnt mental freedom more important than physical freedom?

--------------------
enjoy the entertaining indentity i have constructed for you while you can.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #1695277 - 07/08/03 01:18 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

i agree :smile: .

--------------------
What?

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: Are hippies enlightened? [Re: Zero7a1]
    #1695820 - 07/08/03 07:56 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Mental freedom seems like a last resort when you have limited physical freedom.

But then when you have maximum physical freedom, do you lose mental freedom somehow? I say this because the need for mental freedom seems to originate from an oppression in our physical life. It is a counter-attack perhaps...   

Which is more important?

[insert typical statement concerning balance and yin & yang]  :wink:

Offlinejohnnyfive
Burning withCircles!
Loc: Hell
Re: Are hippies enlightened? [Re: Adamist]
    #1696246 - 07/08/03 11:55 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

good reply

There can't be ANY true freedom from the system, unless there's made avaiable so sort of food independant of the system.

Our bodys need food, the system provides food, unless you plan to eat bugs, or something you can't be totally independant of the system. Its close to impossible.

--------------------
And the gameshow host rings the buzzer (brrnnntt) oh and now you get a face full of face!

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
Re: Are hippies enlightened? [Re: johnnyfive]
    #1696271 - 07/08/03 12:04 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

But don't forget, some people claim that they can live without food. I'm too lazy to link to the thread right now, but there was this old man who said that he lived on sunlight, remember? :sun: :cool:

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: Are hippies enlightened? [Re: Grav]
    #1696379 - 07/08/03 12:54 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

that seems to be the case, and i agree. So then i think... whats the next step. so we are all not free. And we all dont really like how things are going. But rather than use the typical things wont change we are slaves, i think we all have to bounce off our "opression", find ways to channel our anger towards something positive... this moving the system from one means of control to another more "mastered" structure of control.

The control we have formed is necessary... to an extent. but yet it is over consumptive, and leaves out a lot of people, turns a lot of people on eachother.

i think we are as free as we choose to be more or less. we can sit and be slaves and die, or we can do something about it. We are not to say without a free will, we have certain choices.... i think we just have to get them in the right order... to persue that which we want to.

and in this case it could be enlightement, or as you said grav for the "hippies" a comfortable spot. you just have to weigh what it is that is important for you. WE all seem to try and find our place, and if we dont we still seem to try.

--------------------
What?

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
Re: Are hippies enlightened? [Re: Zero7a1]
    #1697171 - 07/08/03 05:59 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

metal freedom is requisite for physical freedom, (eventually) not visa versa.

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

Loc: Heaven and Hell
Re: Are hippies enlightened? [Re: johnnyfive]
    #2063165 - 11/01/03 04:46 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Our bodys need food, the system provides food, unless you plan to eat bugs, or something you can't be totally independant of the system. Its close to impossible.

Since when do you need the "system" to grow food?

--------------------
Hi how's it going, wanna kick Heroin basically painlessly on your own, in your own house, without any government "help" ,or the "help" of a crazy condescending, judgmental medical doctor? Read this:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=42&Number=7342616&page=0&fpart=all

Anonymous

Re: Are hippies enlightened? [Re: Lightningfractal]
    #2063354 - 11/01/03 06:03 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

will someone please define "The System"?

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2063493 - 11/01/03 06:42 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

both are and aren't a slave. the hippy stil depends on the system (money) because they still rely on those who who have the 40 hour a week job. so in essence this person a slave to the slave. sure they can think think and think, but what good will that do after a while, if the hippy tries to go out and create change, then that's different. then again the hippy can do basically what they want when they want, and that's freedom.

only when we use and let nature use us to survive will we not be slaves to the system. that's my opinion anyways

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

OfflineRedNucleus
Causal Observer
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Seahorse Valley
    #2063639 - 11/01/03 07:36 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

That can be true. There are more than 2 kinds of people in the world though.

--------------------
Namaste

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #2063645 - 11/01/03 07:37 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

This kind of reminds me of the brother of a co-worker of mine... she disowned her brother like 15 years ago because he "was a hippy". She utterly hates him and as a result she seems to hate all hippies and anything associated with hippydom because of her bad experience with one so-called "hippy" who apparently mooched off his parents alot, or something. I mean, how many 'true hippies' are there? Alot of them eventually got 9-5 jobs as the 70's rolled on..

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies