Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLoLmart
Stranger
Sterilizing Aluminum Foil for Spore Printing Using Colloidal Silver
    #16925228 - 09/28/12 06:04 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I read a few very good explanations on spore printing and many of them talked that in order to sterilize the aluminum foil, on which we will print, it's best if 'bake' them in high temps. However, one of the tutorial stated that we can just swab them with alcohol and then put the cut mushroom cap on it.

My first question is - should we let the aluminum foil dry from the alcohol and then put the cap on it and if so - how should we dry it since we shouldn't expose it to air and contaminations?

Second question - can I simply use colloidal silver instead of alcohol? I am only asking those who have tried it! Colloidal silver IS NOT THE SAME AS silver salts. Silver salts are big silver particles dissolved in water (chemical reaction) and they can be dangerous to health and make your skin gray. Colloidal silver is the real deal, it's made through electrolisis and produces silver ions in the water so it is totally safe. If anyone has tried to sterilize the aluminum foil (or whatever you use for spore printing) with colloidal silver - please say so. If you say something along the lines of "colloidal silver will damage the spores" please say if you speak from experience or you are just taking a guess.

And a last question - once I have taken a spore print on aluminum foil should let it dry (if so - how) or just fold it with another foil and put in the refrigerator?

Edited by LoLmart (09/28/12 06:06 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleThadeous
On the path

Re: Sterilizing Aluminum Foil for Spore Printing Using Colloidal Silver [Re: LoLmart]
    #16925295 - 09/28/12 06:36 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I would bake it in an oven.  Alcohol doesn't sterilize.  Fire/heat does.

Though, I don't think that is all necessary for a spore print.  The mushroom itself is already in open air, so why worry about other things being in open air?

I cut close to the cap, set it on some foil, put a glass jar over it, wait 24 hours or so, let print dry, fold closed.  Using that method I haven't had any contamination issues.

Edited by Thadeous (09/28/12 06:36 AM)

InvisibleFischer
Teonanacatalyst
I'm a teapot

Loc: Downunder
Re: Sterilizing Aluminum Foil for Spore Printing Using Colloidal Silver [Re: Thadeous] * 1
    #16925339 - 09/28/12 06:56 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

What on earth makes you think colloidal silver would do what you want it to do (kill foreign fungal spores)?

Edited by Fischer (09/28/12 06:59 AM)

OfflineLoLmart
Stranger
Re: Sterilizing Aluminum Foil for Spore Printing Using Colloidal Silver [Re: Fischer]
    #16925954 - 09/28/12 10:07 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Fischer said:
What on earth makes you think colloidal silver would do what you want it to do (kill foreign fungal spores)?

it kills over 600 bad microbes and bacteria known to man. It's used in space shuttle missions and stuff like that. I am still cautious though and don't know how mushroom matter interacts with it...

Edited by LoLmart (09/28/12 10:09 AM)

OfflineNineInchNails
Stranger

Re: Sterilizing Aluminum Foil for Spore Printing Using Colloidal Silver [Re: LoLmart]
    #16926046 - 09/28/12 10:28 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I usually don't worry about sanitizing the foil though you can if you want to. Some wipe their foil with alcohol out of precaution. Yes let the alcohol evaporate first. Even if you sterilized a bunch of pieces of foil inside of jar, opened the jar inside of a GB and printed inside of a GB ... the caps are not sterile. Spore printing is not a sterile technique.

Even though printing is not sterile, I still don't lay foil & caps out in the open air to print. I do it inside of a large flat tupperware container that has large tyvek filters in the lid for gas exchange. This acts sort of like a mini GB for printing. Tyvek keeps the caps from creating a lot of condensation inside of the tupperware. I don't like wet spore prints. I do this out of precaution and I've had great success doing it that way.

Edited by NineInchNails (09/28/12 10:52 AM)

InvisibleThadeous
On the path

Re: Sterilizing Aluminum Foil for Spore Printing Using Colloidal Silver [Re: NineInchNails]
    #16926094 - 09/28/12 10:37 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

:whathesaid:
Hits the nail on the head!  GET IT?! :bigblunt:

OfflineNineInchNails
Stranger

Re: Sterilizing Aluminum Foil for Spore Printing Using Colloidal Silver [Re: Thadeous]
    #16926155 - 09/28/12 10:56 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

By the way, though you might already know this, if you are making or buying Colloidal Silver, try to only use glass bottles if possible. If you keep it in plastic bottles it seems to take on the plastic odor & taste. Glass is always preferable over plastic. It's worth the extra cost.

Edited by NineInchNails (09/28/12 10:56 AM)

Offlinemadis503
psühhonaut

Re: Sterilizing Aluminum Foil for Spore Printing Using Colloidal Silver [Re: NineInchNails]
    #16926548 - 09/28/12 12:12 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

ttake the loose part of the foil roll and throw it away and after that its clean.

--------------------

Psy&Goa

InvisibleAmanita86
OTD Keymaster
 User Gallery

Loc: hades
Re: Sterilizing Aluminum Foil for Spore Printing Using Colloidal Silver [Re: madis503]
    #16926562 - 09/28/12 12:16 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

madis503 said:
ttake the loose part of the foil roll and throw it away and after that its clean.

The aluminum foil thing triggered something I've been wondering.  Is a ziploc bag sterile on the inside if it's fresh out of the box and never been opened?

--------------------
:mushroom2:Orange clock, pencil:bouncysmoke:
"They threw me off the hay truck about noon...":fishing:
:mushroom2:*Mark 15:34:levitate::mushroom2::blueninja:
Gam zeh ya’avor...:sunny:

Offlinerumfor69
Bodhicitta Cultivator
Male

Loc: In the Gills
Re: Sterilizing Aluminum Foil for Spore Printing Using Colloidal Silver [Re: Amanita86]
    #16926596 - 09/28/12 12:24 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

madis503 said:
The aluminum foil thing triggered something I've been wondering.  Is a ziploc bag sterile on the inside if it's fresh out of the box and never been opened?

they are heat treated and sealed from the factory.

Soon as you open them though they are not sterile.

unless you opened them in a lab flowhood environment.

Also Ziplocs are not an airtight seal no matter what the box says

--------------------

Links For Beginners And Beyond:mspoil:

OfflinePureHash
Male

Loc: Canada
Re: Sterilizing Aluminum Foil for Spore Printing Using Colloidal Silver [Re: madis503]
    #16926605 - 09/28/12 12:25 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Alcohol doesn't kill mold spores... Either don't bother sterilizing the foil, because its not nessisary, or use an autoclave, or pressure cooker with squares cut, and placed in a jar.

--------------------

TRADE LIST
Pure's Cook Book<-- Under Construction
Laboratory Organization Charts

"Debating with a select few here is like playing chess with the pigeon, No matter how good you are the pigeon will knock over all the pieces, shit on the board and claim victory."

InvisibleAmanita86
OTD Keymaster
 User Gallery

Re: Sterilizing Aluminum Foil for Spore Printing Using Colloidal Silver [Re: rumfor69]
    #16926626 - 09/28/12 12:30 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

rumfor69 said:

Quote:

madis503 said:

So for the sake of spore prints you would recommend a glove box enviro and putting the ziplocs into a small sterilized tupperware for the average joe with no flow hood?  Also, can you just pull the cap and let the print chill for awhile in the GB to dry?  I know the caps aren't sterile but it seems about as good as you can get for drying the spores right?  Is it best to dry the spores or just print and seal?

--------------------

OfflineNineInchNails
Stranger

Re: Sterilizing Aluminum Foil for Spore Printing Using Colloidal Silver [Re: PureHash]
    #16926639 - 09/28/12 12:31 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Alcohol doesn't kill spores

That never occurred to me. Shit ... I always assumed it did.

Offlinerumfor69
Bodhicitta Cultivator
Male

Loc: In the Gills
    #16926664 - 09/28/12 12:36 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Amanita86 said:
Quote:

rumfor69 said:

Quote:

madis503 said:

So for the sake of spore prints you would recommend a glove box enviro and putting the ziplocs into a small sterilized tupperware for the average joe with no flow hood?  Also, can you just pull the cap and let the print chill for awhile in the GB to dry?  I know the caps aren't sterile but it seems about as good as you can get for drying the spores right?  Is it best to dry the spores or just print and seal?

GB is always the better environment to do work. I leave things prints, agar, all those sensitive things right in there. I've put
petri dishes inside ziplocs inside my GB with great success.

Let your print dry under a jar or in a ziploc for a day or so after the cap has been takin out

Quote:

NineInchNails said:
Quote:

Alcohol doesn't kill spores

That never occurred to me. Shit ... I always assumed it did.

Alcohol is only a disinfectant

--------------------

Links For Beginners And Beyond:mspoil:

Edited by rumfor69 (09/28/12 12:38 PM)

InvisibleAmanita86
OTD Keymaster
 User Gallery

Re: Sterilizing Aluminum Foil for Spore Printing Using Colloidal Silver [Re: rumfor69]
    #16926758 - 09/28/12 12:52 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

rumfor69 said:
GB is always the better environment to do work. I leave things prints, agar, all those sensitive things right in there. I've put
petri dishes inside ziplocs inside my GB with great success.

Let your print dry under a jar or in a ziploc for a day or so after the cap has been takin out

Awesome, thanks man

--------------------

InvisibleFischer
Teonanacatalyst
I'm a teapot

Loc: Downunder
    #16928566 - 09/28/12 06:28 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

LoLmart said:it kills over 600 bad microbes and bacteria known to man. It's used in space shuttle missions and stuff like that. I am still cautious though and don't know how mushroom matter interacts with it...

Yes, it does have antibacterial properties, but bacteria are not what concern us.  What should primarily concern you are the spores of competitor fungi.

"NASA uses it" doesn't mean crap, unless they use it to kill fungal spores (which they don't).

I'm not trying to have a go, just wondering why you would think it would be effective (plus some of the stuff you said about colloidal silver in your OP made me wince).

Offlinek00laid
NEMO
 User Gallery

Re: Sterilizing Aluminum Foil for Spore Printing Using Colloidal Silver [Re: Fischer]
    #16928936 - 09/28/12 07:32 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

sorry i didnt read everyones post

but ziplocs from the factory are sterile

aluminum foil from the factory is sterile.

--------------------
AMU - AMU Q & A - MyVideo Teks!

InvisibleTimehole
 User Gallery

Re: Sterilizing Aluminum Foil for Spore Printing Using Colloidal Silver [Re: k00laid]
    #16928953 - 09/28/12 07:36 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Anyone seen this dude who drank colloidial silver, he turned blue!

InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sterilizing Aluminum Foil for Spore Printing Using Colloidal Silver [Re: k00laid]
    #16928973 - 09/28/12 07:37 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

When I did printing.  I cut my foil and then placed it in a half pint jar upside down.  I PC'd it for like 15 minutes(I used a rack of course).

After this I would put my caps on the print inside the jar, then place the jar back on.  After spores dropped I removed the cap and let the spore dry out.

Very easy, and sterile, printing :wink:

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek ** Update 10.17.17 **
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Loc: Westcoast Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #16928986 - 09/28/12 07:40 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I use alcohol 70% to wipe out my small glass for making spore prints and never have had a problem with it, a spore print is by no means 100&% sterile to begin with, foil is fine out of package, but if its old foil you could quickly swab it with 70% iso. It has never failed me in spore syringe making

Some people will PC foil and glasses when making or taking spore prints, I have never found the need to

Edited by Shea25 (09/28/12 07:43 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale