Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHashfinger
Nippy Wiffle
 User Gallery

Loc: Georgia
Psychoactive Bolete?
    #16915497 - 09/26/12 04:20 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Okay so I was out hunting for weilii and caerulescens today (working on getting used to which is which, and trying to identify macroscopic characteristics that are different between the two) and I found these crazy looking boletes. They were found in an area I had scoped for prime weilii territory. Loblolly and sweetgums everywhere, a clearcut swathe through a forest, with crabgrass. Anyway, I thought I found some weilii at first glance, because of the cap shape size and color, and the way they were growing tightly clustered just like weilii. Anyway, I picked a few and was shocked. They bruised blue (i know boletes bruise blue) within the first second I touched them. A slice of the cap with my knife revealed yellow flesh reacting blue faster than anything ive ever seen. Faster than weilii themselves. Anyway, I have found bluing boletes, and noticed that when you slice them, they blue slowly, and the blue sticks around until you cook them. These turned blue really fast, then the blue disappears and is just a brownish stain after maybe 30 minutes. Anyway, I was doing research on psychoactive boletes, and from my research, a lot of different mushrooms can gain psychoactivity due to the climate and medium they are growing from. Seeing as how this has been documented to happen with boletes, and that I found them right where I was expecting to find weilii. Also, notice how similar they look to weilii. Very psilocybian. Wavy undulate margins, bluing obviously, very pleasant farinaceous scent, no bad or bitter taste, growing clustered, and the stems had a fluccuose(?) zone at the base. White hairy shit on stems.

--------------------
Species List (Georgia): Psilocybe caerulescens/weilii, Psilocybe atlantis/galindoi, Psilocybe cubensis, Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata, Psilocybe caerulipes, Psilocybe semilanceata, Psilocybe fagicola, Copelandia cyanescens, Panaeolus cinctulus, Panaeolus fimicola, Panaeolus olivaceus, Gymnopilus luteofolius, Gymnopilus aeruginosus, Gymnopilus junonius, Pluteus salicinus

(Ohio): Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata, Psilocybe caerulipes, Pluteus cyanopus, Pluteus salicinus sensu lato..., Panaeolus cinctulus, Gymnopilus luteus, Gymnopilus luteofolius, Gymnopilus junonius, Gymnopilus aeruginosus

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefliped
The Lost One
Male

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Re: Psychoactive Bolete? [Re: Hashfinger]
    #16915541 - 09/26/12 04:29 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Do not know a whole lot about boletes. Some do stain blue but it is not anything to do with it being active. I believe these may be poisionus but i am not to informed on this speicies as I said. Regardless cool to look at. Im sure you will get some better info shortly.

OfflineHashfinger
Nippy Wiffle
 User Gallery

Re: Psychoactive Bolete? [Re: fliped]
    #16915575 - 09/26/12 04:34 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

fliped said:
Do not know a whole lot about boletes. Some do stain blue but it is not anything to do with it being active. I believe these may be poisionus but i am not to informed on this speicies as I said. Regardless cool to look at. Im sure you will get some better info shortly.

Yeah like I said, a lot of boletes bruise blue, but the way this one reacted so quickly, then all blue disappeared is strange

--------------------
Species List (Georgia): Psilocybe caerulescens/weilii, Psilocybe atlantis/galindoi, Psilocybe cubensis, Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata, Psilocybe caerulipes, Psilocybe semilanceata, Psilocybe fagicola, Copelandia cyanescens, Panaeolus cinctulus, Panaeolus fimicola, Panaeolus olivaceus, Gymnopilus luteofolius, Gymnopilus aeruginosus, Gymnopilus junonius, Pluteus salicinus

(Ohio): Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata, Psilocybe caerulipes, Pluteus cyanopus, Pluteus salicinus sensu lato..., Panaeolus cinctulus, Gymnopilus luteus, Gymnopilus luteofolius, Gymnopilus junonius, Gymnopilus aeruginosus

OfflineJoie
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Trusted Identifier
    #16915615 - 09/26/12 04:40 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Check http://www.mykoweb.com/CAF/species/Boletus_rubripes.html and similar as mentioned under Comments. Look for those which blue "erratically".

--------------------

OfflineUser_7
Cyanoaeruginosa caerulazurescens
Male User Gallery

Loc: Secret Island Location Flag
    #16915656 - 09/26/12 04:49 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Anyway, I was doing research on psychoactive boletes, and from my research, a lot of different mushrooms can gain psychoactivity due to the climate and medium they are growing from.

I should imagine that any sources which documented inactive mushrooms occasionally gaining psychoactivity are much more speculative/subjective than scientific and should therefore be subject to scepticism. Perhaps you could cite some documents for us from your research?

The activity of Boletus manicus seemed very questionable to me when I attempted to investigate it and it is to my knowledge the strongest case for Bolete-Psycoactivity.

In an case I'm sure the mushroom's resemblance (in your eyes) to P. weilii is entirely irrelevant.

Quote:

Seeing as how this has been documented to happen with boletes, and that I found them right where I was expecting to find weilii. Also, notice how similar they look to weilii. Very psilocybian. Wavy undulate margins, bluing obviously, very pleasant farinaceous scent, no bad or bitter taste, growing clustered, and the stems had a fluccuose(?) zone at the base. White hairy shit on stems.

Invisiblemaynardjameskeenan
The white stipes
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 'Merica
Trusted Identifier
Re: Psychoactive Bolete? [Re: User_7]
    #16915687 - 09/26/12 04:55 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Psychoactive Boletus are only known to grow in Papua New Guinea. The chemical found in them is stronger than LSD.
boletus manicus

--------------------
May you be filled with loving kindness.
May you be well.
May you be peaceful and at ease.
May you be happy.

AMU Q&A

InvisibleGanzig
It's for the street cred
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon Flag
Re: Psychoactive Bolete? [Re: maynardjameskeenan]
    #16915742 - 09/26/12 05:03 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

maynardjameskeenan said:
Psychoactive Boletus are only known to grow in Papua New Guinea. The chemical found in them is stronger than LSD.
boletus manicus

Whoa. That is rad.

Who wants to find them with me? Those look a lot like the edulis.

Strange to me that no one has popped over to check it out.
All those in Australia should head over. Lemme know what you find.

--------------------
I must keep reminding myself of this.
I must keep reminding myself of this. I must keep reminding myself of this.
I must keep reminding myself of this.

OfflineUser_7
Male User Gallery

Re: Psychoactive Bolete? [Re: maynardjameskeenan]
    #16915763 - 09/26/12 05:07 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

maynardjameskeenan said:
boletus manicus

The chemicals in it are unknown and might not even be active. The conclusion that they must be more potent than LSD is simply derived from unknown indoles being detected at trace amounts and speculative reports of Boletus manicus's psychoactivity. There have been no confirmed Boletus manicus trips and no contemporary analysis of the mushroom as far as I know. Feel free to correct me with a source.

OfflineHashfinger
Nippy Wiffle
 User Gallery

#16915784 - 09/26/12 05:10 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

User_7 said:
Quote:

maynardjameskeenan said:
boletus manicus

The chemicals in it are unknown and might not even be active. The conclusion that they must be more potent than LSD is simply derived from unknown indoles being detected at trace amounts and speculative reports of Boletus manicus's psychoactivity. There have been no confirmed Boletus manicus trips and no contemporary analysis of the mushroom as far as I know. Feel free to correct me with a source.

Quote:

User_7 said:
Quote:

Anyway, I was doing research on psychoactive boletes, and from my research, a lot of different mushrooms can gain psychoactivity due to the climate and medium they are growing from.

I should imagine that any sources which documented inactive mushrooms occasionally gaining psychoactivity are much more speculative/subjective than scientific and should therefore be subject to scepticism. Perhaps you could cite some documents for us from your research?

The activity of Boletus manicus seemed very questionable to me when I attempted to investigate it and it is to my knowledge the strongest case for Bolete-Psycoactivity.

In an case I'm sure the mushroom's resemblance (in your eyes) to P. weilii is entirely irrelevant.

Quote:

Seeing as how this has been documented to happen with boletes, and that I found them right where I was expecting to find weilii. Also, notice how similar they look to weilii. Very psilocybian. Wavy undulate margins, bluing obviously, very pleasant farinaceous scent, no bad or bitter taste, growing clustered, and the stems had a fluccuose(?) zone at the base. White hairy shit on stems.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/9428717

--------------------

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Trusted Identifier
    #16915818 - 09/26/12 05:15 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Hashfinger said:
Okay so I was out hunting for weilii and caerulescens today (working on getting used to which is which, and trying to identify macroscopic characteristics that are different between the two)

They are the same.

Quote:

and I found these crazy looking boletes.

Yes they are interesting.  Did you check the KOH reaction?  What kind of trees were nearby?

Quote:

Anyway, I picked a few and was shocked. They bruised blue (i know boletes bruise blue) within the first second I touched them. A slice of the cap with my knife revealed yellow flesh reacting blue faster than anything ive ever seen. Faster than weilii themselves.

http://mushroomobserver.org/47773

Quote:

Your research might not be very good.

Quote:

Seeing as how this has been documented to happen with boletes

No!

Where?

Quote:

and that I found them right where I was expecting to find weilii.

Oh really?

Quote:

Also, notice how similar they look to weilii.

Your Boletus does not look anything like Psilocybe weilii.

Quote:

Very psilocybian.

Your Boletus does not look psilocybian.

Quote:

Wavy undulate margins, bluing obviously, very pleasant farinaceous scent, no bad or bitter taste, growing clustered, and the stems had a fluccuose(?) zone at the base. White hairy shit on stems.

No.

Quote:

maynardjameskeenan said:
Papua New Guinea. The chemical found in them is stronger than LSD.
boletus manicus

BS. 

OfflineUser_7
Male User Gallery

#16915844 - 09/26/12 05:19 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, I've read that. It's interesting and I'd love for it to be true. All I can really say about it however is there are always odd cases where people report something out of the blue. Who knows what else those two people could have done to alter their perception. And people can be very sensitive to the Placebo effect...

Edit: That's what I mean subjective/speculative. They experienced subjective effects, i.e. effects that can't be absolutely measured or definied and they speculated that the mushroom caused the, but who knows what caused them or if they just Placebo-ed it out of thin air!?

Without a larger number of Bolete trips I think such isolated incidences should be treated as the inevitable miss-attributed cases that a sample size as large as the internet will draw.

Edited by User_7 (09/26/12 05:24 PM)

OfflineUser_7
Male User Gallery

Re: Psychoactive Bolete? [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #16915851 - 09/26/12 05:19 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Quote:

maynardjameskeenan said:
Papua New Guinea. The chemical found in them is stronger than LSD.
boletus manicus

BS. 

Please tell me that stands for Bull Shit... You're on my side right Alan!?

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Trusted Identifier
    #16915855 - 09/26/12 05:21 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

User_7 said:
Please tell me that stands for Bull Shit...

Yes, except for http://davidarora.com/uploads/xiao_ren_ren.pdf

OfflineHashfinger
Nippy Wiffle
 User Gallery

#16915927 - 09/26/12 05:31 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineHashfinger
Nippy Wiffle
 User Gallery

#16915949 - 09/26/12 05:33 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Where can I get KOH and what will that tell me?

--------------------

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Trusted Identifier
    #16915950 - 09/26/12 05:33 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Is this under hardwood or conifer?

OfflineUser_7
Male User Gallery

#16915957 - 09/26/12 05:34 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Yes, except for http://davidarora.com/uploads/xiao_ren_ren.pdf

That's interesting, thanks - there's hope yet for the psychoactive Boletes!

I just found this thread on Boletus Manicus by the way, I think what mjshroomer and Wiccan_Seeker had to say was sensible.

Edit: Just realised I forgot to actually post the link :lol: here it is:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/2889976

Edited by User_7 (09/27/12 02:47 AM)

OfflineUser_7
Male User Gallery

#16915959 - 09/26/12 05:35 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Hashfinger said:

You mean Potassium Hydroxide?

OfflineHashfinger
Nippy Wiffle
 User Gallery

#16915968 - 09/26/12 05:36 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Is this under hardwood or conifer?

Both. Pinus taeda (loblolly pine) and Liquidambar styraciflua (sweetgum). Also a few birch, oak, and maple. They also had some random Sycamores planted which I thought might explain strange fungus being there.

--------------------

OfflineHashfinger
Nippy Wiffle
 User Gallery

#16915977 - 09/26/12 05:38 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

User_7 said:
Quote:

Hashfinger said:

You mean Potassium Hydroxide?

No i mean KOH. You can just type it like that and people will know what you mean. Jerk. :grin: Kidding. But yeah, I know what it is from chemistry, but will is it used to detect psilocybin or what?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract