Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinesonamdrukpa
Wayfarer

Criminal Chlorination: An Interview with a Clandestine Chemist * 5
    #16901943 - 09/24/12 11:54 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

vice.com

By Hamilton Morris

In the popular imagination, the landscape of clandestine chemistry is a monotonous one, peppered with pastures of GBL saponification and bluffs of pseudoephedrine reduction. But there exist lone experimenters, tinkerers, gentlemen scientists, who seek to further the field of psychoactive-drug synthesis in the privacy of their own homes. For their participation in the ignominious marriage of proscribed neucleophile and electrophile they often pay a dire price: their freedom. Here I present an interview with a clandestine chemist acquaintance whose curiosity regarding forbidden molecules left him locked in a cage.

VICE: I wanted to talk about clandestine chemistry and what it’s like to operate an underground laboratory. How did you first get started?
Anonymous chemist:
In the early 90s there was a massive outpouring of information on psychedelics. You had Terence McKenna parading around in a DMT T-shirt, talking about salvia, yet nobody knew where to get either salvia or DMT. It seemed criminal to have to go to a Grateful Dead concert or a rave—these awful scenes—to try to acquire interesting and unusual drugs, but there were few other choices. There were some compounds that had always been commercially available from chemical-supply companies, but most of the phenethylamines were really hard, if not impossible, to get.

I was a scientific kid, and I followed my curiosity to its natural end. My first actual synthesis was DMT. In retrospect that seems ridiculous, but it was something that I just could not find. Nobody was doing extractions; these were the days before the widespread availability of botanical sources. I studied the synthesis and decided to go the classical route via indole, but my first DMT synthesis was pretty shitty—literally, indole smells like crap—and it just reeked up the building I was living in. This was pre-meth-lab hysteria, so while it wasn’t normal to have your apartment smelling like shit and solvents, it didn’t ring any alarm bells. By the time I successfully produced DMT, I’d learned enough chemistry that I had a much broader synthetic palette to work with. This was probably 1993 or so and there was all this hype around MDMA. Like I said, the terrible raves were in full force. It started out as a very expensive hobby and I gave away whatever I made, but that’s not sustainable in the long term so I began to sell the material as well.

What was your motivation for distributing the chemicals in large quantities?
You hear all this messianic bullshit from chemists. My motive was very clear: I just wanted the opportunity to try drugs that were unobtainable otherwise. I tried MDMA and moved to DOM, mescaline, 2C-B, and various others. I really enjoyed watching the ripple effect of throwing these things out there, to see question marks stretched across people’s faces, and it became my primary source of income for about seven years.

It’s interesting how things have changed. Now most of these drugs can be obtained without much effort, but the precursors for their syntheses are closely guarded.
It’s different. Back then, trying to get any of the substituted benzaldehydes was a serious bitch; those aren’t exactly linchpins of chemical commerce. The straight-to-consumer international chemical trade was in its infancy. But now there’s also a lot more heat on certain things—back then you could buy a 55-gallon drum of camphor 1070 or ocotea oil for $3,000. There’s just no way you could do that kind of thing anymore. I wouldn’t say it’s harder or easier, it’s simply different and it’s always evolving.

I’ll give you an example: Around 1998 there was a group of us that were trying to work on some of Shulgin’s thio-compounds, the 2C-Ts. They were a lot more difficult than the standard phenethylamines and we just couldn’t do it effectively. So eventually a private group of chemists and investors pooled their resources and commissioned a laboratory in Poland to produce a kilogram of 2C-T-7. It was ridiculously expensive, and the entire process felt like a really extreme measure. To the best of my knowledge, that group effort was the first instance of custom syntheses of a gray-market drug by the end users. Less than two years later, the chemical took off and was introduced as Blue Mystic in the Netherlands, and then as a pure chemical in the States. 2C-T-7 was one of the first “research chemicals” in the modern designer-drug sense, and I think some of its initial popularity came from the fact that it had been totally unavailable due to the difficulty of producing it in a clandestine lab.

Back then the internet served to disseminate knowledge about drugs. There was less emphasis on disseminating the drugs themselves.
Starting in the 90s, there were a series of forums where chemists would convene to discuss their work. One of the results of these discussions was that a lot of these syntheses got translated into plain English anyone could understand. To people without formal training in organic chemistry, the terminology used in chemical journals and pharmaceutical patents is so technical that it is effectively a foreign language. PiHKAL made things a lot easier—Shulgin speaks in a language closer to what the average dude can understand. But the online discussions took things even further, and the result was that a lot more people decided to try their hands at synthesizing MDMA.

The biologist Eva Harris described a simple technique that allows people in developing countries to run PCR via manual thermal cycling, and the work is widely considered to be a masterpiece of science communication. What struck me while reading her book is that she was effectively doing for genetics what clandestine chemists had done for amphetamine synthesis—they’re both results of the same impulse to simplify, increase accessibility, and bring technology to the people who need it.
I used the proceeds from my work to get proper equipment, but some of my fondest memories are from when I was just starting out. I was trying to make remarkable things using completely unremarkable tools. Everyone was doing mercury amalgam reductions or lithium aluminum hydride reductions, and that was it. There was this meth-lab lore about bikers who would supposedly take an aluminum keg, pump methylamine and phenylacetone inside, and throw the keg into a river to keep the reaction cold enough to prevent it from exploding. It was certainly a bullshit story, but some dudes actually ran with it and began using 55-gallon PTFE kegs as reaction vessels in the reductive amination of MD-phenylacetone and nitromethane. This is a violent reaction on the small scale, so they’d just throw in a kilo, hook up a pressure-relief valve, and hope for the best! Everybody thrived on improvised equipment.

I can understand improvising certain things, but without any analytic equipment you are essentially working blindfolded. So much chemistry revolves around figuring out exactly what you’ve got sitting in your flask—working without access to sophisticated analytic equipment is like traveling back in time 50 or 100 years.
Even in university labs, analysis was more difficult; there were no references for most of these chemicals, especially not the phenethylamines. It was really a guessing game. I had no recourse other than thin-layer chromatography to monitor reaction progress, and then taking a melting point of the final product. That’s why the forensic reports were so fascinating to me when I was raided. Of course, it’s unfortunate that the first glimpse into the true chemical identity of my products was occasioned by my arrest, but even as I was having my freedom taken away I was totally fascinated by what the forensic chemists had found.

What exactly were you charged with?
My first charge was actually for the manufacture of methamphetamine. For reasons I won’t get into, I wasn’t arrested at the time of the raid and promptly fled overseas to await the forensic report. I was charged in absentia with manufacturing methamphetamine because that was all the cops knew how to process. They were taken aback by my laboratory. The 2C-C I was making was just not in their chemical lexicon. They thought it had to be methamphetamine and were determined to prove it. That charge stuck for the better part of a year. At one point, my defense attorney and I said, “Let’s go for this meth thing. We can beat that one.” The field tests came back positive for methamphetamine, but the narcotics officers knew something else was going on, so they sent for a private contractor to test for traces of scheduled compounds. These guys tested everything; they were quite literally analyzing the paint on the walls of my laboratory. Then they outlined possible synthetic routes based on their findings, and I must say they hit every fucking nail on the head. I was halfway hoping when I was hiding out overseas that they might not find anything. Not a fucking chance!

And what did they find?
Well, one thing they didn’t find was methamphetamine. I was extremely careful not to keep large quantities of anything scheduled in the laboratory while it was active—it looked simply like a well-equipped organic-chem lab. I think they chose to pursue the 2C-C because it was the only material present in quantities large enough to warrant a serious charge according to the sentencing guidelines. I was experimenting with various procedures to chlorinate 2C-H. Shulgin’s original method was a bit messy and low-yielding. I used sulfuryl chloride, which resulted in better yields, but there was a problem with not being able to separate polychlorinated impurities with recrystallization or distillation. The trick I found was to chlorinate the benzaldehyde, which made for easy separation. It was really cool to look postmortem at the lab report and see exactly what had come out of it. I actually got a thank-you card from a few of the staff at the forensics lab for giving them what they said was the most interesting work they had done in ages.

Wow! How did their report play out in court?
A jury of your peers often isn’t the greatest thing, as apparently my peers are not that bright. A bunch of talk about differing functional groups just confuses them; all the prosecutor needs to do is get up there, point out the laboratory equipment and chemicals, and talk about the tragedies of the meth epidemic, and you’re fucked. It was amazing to me how idiotic it all was. They were claiming that my 2C-C intermediates were 2C-B, of which there was not a nanogram in my lab. When we tried to point out that the two chemicals contained an entirely different halogen, they just rolled their eyes as if to say, “Oh, here you come with this chemistry goobledygook again.” And I had to plea out of that charge. The whole thing was like tending an apple orchard and being charged with running an illegal orange grove. I ended up with a few years. Arguably, I was lucky.

Yes, arguably. Do you feel as if you garnered more respect from the police and prisoners than the typical inmate because you had committed an intellectual crime?
I found it easier in jail to just lie and say, “Yes, I was cooking meth.” That went over so much better than trying to explain, “Well, I was working on an unusual halogenated psychedelic phenethylamine.” Other prisoners come up to you and want to talk about chemistry—all the other purported meth cooks assault you with these totally fantastical syntheses that they swear were working. You just stop arguing and say, “Yup, that’s awesome, I also did that when I was cooking meth.”

After your release, how did you reconcile your relationship with chemistry?
It’s rare, but some people involved in chemistry crimes have gone on to successful academic careers. If you’ve figured out a way to transmute mercury into gold then it’s really hard to ignore that. You never forget how to ride the bicycle that is synthesizing MDMA. Of course, it’s a vicious cycle: You receive a prison sentence for illegal chemistry, and when you are released the illegal income is even more attractive because you’re unemployable. It’s a bitch to replace all of your reagents and equipment, but that’s nothing compared with the difficulty of learning organic chemistry in the first place.

What did you do when you were released?
An unanticipated thing happened while I was in prison: The market changed dramatically, and my job was effectively outsourced to China. By the time I had returned to normal society, things were unrecognizable. I was blown away. The research-chemical market was going full speed ahead, and all it took was mephedrone to really blast that into the public consciousness. In retrospect, those early days of 2C-T-7 seem so quaint. The synthesis community has fractured; there are some pockets out there, but the original need no longer exists. I have mixed feelings about the increased availability of these chemicals. In today’s climate I might have never become a chemist. Half the chemicals that motivated me to sit down with a chemistry textbook can be purchased online with a debit card. Strangely enough, the research-chemical market put scores of hardworking American clandestine chemists out of business. I can’t compete with China, so I’m yet another victim of globalization!

So what now?
For me, I still have a great interest in chemistry—perfumery has been something that’s really been exciting me lately. So yeah, perfumery. Maybe.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedanlennon3
LivingIsEasyWithEyesClosed.....
Male User Gallery

Loc: usa Flag
Re: Criminal Chlorination: An Interview with a Clandestine Chemist [Re: sonamdrukpa]
    #16902020 - 09/24/12 12:12 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

great read! Vice always puts out good articles and ideas

--------------------
"Psychedelics should be used not to escape reality, but to embrace it"

InvisibleSimplepowa
In Pursuit of Knowledge

Re: Criminal Chlorination: An Interview with a Clandestine Chemist [Re: sonamdrukpa]
    #16902082 - 09/24/12 12:24 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

cool article, thanks for sharing

:dancer:

--------------------
Carl Sagan - "Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people."

---

Robert Pirsig - "When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."

---

Brian Cox - "[One] problem with today’s world is that everyone believes they have the right to express their opinion AND have others listen to it. The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense."

Offlinesmokescreen
80's Transformer
Male User Gallery

Loc: north carolina
Re: Criminal Chlorination: An Interview with a Clandestine Chemist [Re: Simplepowa]
    #16902256 - 09/24/12 01:05 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Great read!  Thanks for posting.  I would love to have a conversation with the guy.

--------------------
:ganja: "Let's get together and feel alright" :ganja:                  :cubie: :mushroom2::tripping:

InvisibleLongStrangeTrip
Deadhead

Re: Criminal Chlorination: An Interview with a Clandestine Chemist [Re: smokescreen]
    #16902445 - 09/24/12 01:36 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

So what now?
For me, I still have a great interest in chemistry—perfumery has been something that’s really been exciting me lately. So yeah, perfumery. Maybe.

:evil2:

--------------------
Nothing I say or do is factual; every single thing I write is a work of fiction. Got no idea what I'm talking about here~

"Once in awhile, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"~  (Grateful Dead)

"o puer, qui omnia nomini debes"; "You, boy, who owe's everything to a name"~ Mark Anthony

"Nihil est incertius vulgo, nihil obscurius voluntate hominum, nihil fallacius ratione tota comitiorum."; "Nothing is more unpredictable than the mob, nothing more obscure than public opinion, nothing more deceptive than the whole political system."~ Cicero

Invisible5-HT2A
Re: Criminal Chlorination: An Interview with a Clandestine Chemist [Re: LongStrangeTrip]
    #16904048 - 09/24/12 06:05 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

:thumbup:

Great article, fascinating indeed. Thanks for posting.

Offlineluckytriple6
spun, confused, and needing hugs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: lost in head... come find... Flag
Re: Criminal Chlorination: An Interview with a Clandestine Chemist [Re: smokescreen]
    #16904176 - 09/24/12 06:27 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

smokescreen said:
Great read!  Thanks for posting.  I would love to have a conversation with the guy.

judging by the read I may have(had a conversation), in person no less

--------------------
Let me out of this place
I'm outta place
I'm in outer space
I've just vanished without a trace
I'm going to a pretty place now where the flowers grow
I'll be back in an hour or so

[quote]Abuse said:
the dea can go fuck themselves! with the internet, the impossible is possible![/quote]

InvisibleThe Phleg
Big Dick Chakra
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Uncanny Valley
Re: Criminal Chlorination: An Interview with a Clandestine Chemist [Re: LongStrangeTrip]
    #16904214 - 09/24/12 06:32 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Good read, really got a good take on his experience. :thumbup:

Quote:

LongStrangeTrip said:
Quote:

So what now?

:evil2:

Perfume, right. :loldongs:

--------------------
You wanna get high? Drink tap water.
--------------------

Invisible4HO-DMT
 User Gallery

Loc: County Line Road
Re: Criminal Chlorination: An Interview with a Clandestine Chemist [Re: The Phleg]
    #16904859 - 09/24/12 08:20 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

This perfume is clear scentless and tasteless.  Further more it fits on a 1/4" square of paper.  :strokebeard:

Offlinejebre
your parents
Male

Loc: wisconsin
Re: Criminal Chlorination: An Interview with a Clandestine Chemist [Re: The Phleg]
    #16904890 - 09/24/12 08:23 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

good read :cool:

--------------------
fnord

i appreciated the garden before, but i understood it now

psychedelic benefits poll ---->
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/16182497 
[quote]AllGreyThumbs said:
Damn it, they really have to stop calling things LSD that aren't really LSD.  That goes for dealers, police, and the media.  Stop it, stop it, stop it.  It makes the real LSD look bad.[/quote]

Invisiblebryguy27007
Cosmonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
    #16905852 - 09/24/12 11:12 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Really good read. Thanks for posting.

OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery

Loc: Fire in the sky
    #16905936 - 09/24/12 11:29 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

That was a good read. It's interesting to see how a guy not making anything illegal can get railroaded like that. It's utterly disgusting but we live in a culture of mass incarceration. Guilt or innocence doesn't really matter anymore. It's almost as bad as south of the border.

--------------------
"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do."-King Solomon

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

OfflineCaptainAhab

Re: Criminal Chlorination: An Interview with a Clandestine Chemist [Re: Ellis Dee]
    #16906321 - 09/25/12 01:42 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I was watching the film Jacob's Ladder today, and in the movie, an underground chemist is arrested and offered a job working covertly for the Army synthesizing psychedelics to be used for warfare.

The movie is fictional, but based on a true premise about the Army's use of a drug called "BZ."

As a chemistry/biochemistry major, this stuff is always fascinating to me.

Jacob's Ladder shows an interesting side to psychedelics and their potential, because they aren't all pleasant, trippy, or whatever types of drugs. You can get some damned strange effects from different organic molecules/pharmaceuticals... and I'm talking damned strange.

I suspect that as more underground chemists start synthesizing more stuff, they're going to find something they don't want/shouldn't have found. Scary.

--------------------

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Re: Criminal Chlorination: An Interview with a Clandestine Chemist [Re: CaptainAhab]
    #16906650 - 09/25/12 05:18 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

CaptainAhab said:
I was watching the film Jacob's Ladder today, and in the movie, an underground chemist is arrested and offered a job working covertly for the Army synthesizing psychedelics to be used for warfare.

The movie is fictional, but based on a true premise about the Army's use of a drug called "BZ."

As a chemistry/biochemistry major, this stuff is always fascinating to me.

Jacob's Ladder shows an interesting side to psychedelics and their potential, because they aren't all pleasant, trippy, or whatever types of drugs. You can get some damned strange effects from different organic molecules/pharmaceuticals... and I'm talking damned strange.

I suspect that as more underground chemists start synthesizing more stuff, they're going to find something they don't want/shouldn't have found. Scary.

Thankyou for mentioning Jacobs Ladder. I recommend it to everyone. The film is a fictionalisation of various shady dealings with weaponising psychedelics and doing weird occult stuff.

--------------------

InvisibleThe Phleg
Big Dick Chakra
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Uncanny Valley
Re: Criminal Chlorination: An Interview with a Clandestine Chemist [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #16906939 - 09/25/12 07:55 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Will check out.  :loveintheair:

--------------------
You wanna get high? Drink tap water.
--------------------

Invisibledwpineal
Psychedelic Artist
 User Gallery

#16907254 - 09/25/12 09:37 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I agree with everyone else, great read, brought back memories of the 90s and the Hive :smile:

Offlinebloodsheen
ChemChaplin
Male User Gallery

Re: Criminal Chlorination: An Interview with a Clandestine Chemist [Re: dwpineal]
    #16909840 - 09/25/12 05:06 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Posting to remind myself

--------------------

A cautious young fellow named Lodge / Had seat belts installed in his Dodge. / When his date was strapped in / He committed a sin / Without even leaving the garage. That's clever, isn't it?-A boy and his dog

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Criminal Chlorination: An Interview with a Clandestine Chemist [Re: bloodsheen]
    #16914488 - 09/26/12 01:10 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Good find OP.  love to read first hand accounts of otherwise unprovable hearsay.  I wonder what tipped te cops off to raiding him?

--------------------
L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs

OfflineFailboat
Fuck Up

Re: Criminal Chlorination: An Interview with a Clandestine Chemist [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #27127476 - 01/05/21 03:53 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Camphor 1070... :takingnotes:
Perfumery...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder