Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShrOoMeR69
Shroomer
Loc: USA
True Newbie Experimentation
    #1689810 - 07/06/03 09:51 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

My very first grow i made 5 jars of BRF and VRM it took almost 2 weeks for them to even start growing and i lost 4 to contamination.Mostly because i didnt really leave them alone and i thought that leaving the tape off a few holes would let some air in for faster growth but it only let contams in.The ones i did this to where first to go for the contams the other with the tape left on survived.So im watchin the last one for like 3 weeks cause it has a ton of mycelium but it stalled. So i started to experiment. I inject more water into the cake from the inoc holes (because the cake was prolly dry HEATING PADS SUCK!)and let the cake sit on the heating pad overnight. The next morning there was growth!!!!Some was mycelium  but there was other growth looked wierd and was in random spots and very fluffy so i thought it was cob web mold. So i took the cake out of the jar cut the bottom where the stuff was ran water over it (which the cake sucked up) and put it into a new clean mason jar put VRM on top and sealed. I am very interested to see what happens. Any feed back on what might happen to this jar thats been through so much?? Im open for any suggestions. This is just an experiment i have 6 other jars double end VRM done right left in an incubator that started colonization very quickly :grin: 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGestaltAssault
Sam Kohui (c)

Loc: Here-->[x]
Re: True Newbie Experimentation [Re: ShrOoMeR69]
    #1689931 - 07/06/03 11:18 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

if the cake stalls flip the jar upside down to let the co2 drain out and fresh air suck in...you should never take the cake out of the jar and put it back in...even if you suspect contamination...it's not worth it trying to save a cake you think is contaminated...there is a big difference between "clean" and "sterile"...the contamination would be isolated to just that jar...and since you're not sure...you could have cut off healthy mycelium...mycelium looks like cotton...cobweb looks like um...cobweb...or cat fur or cashmere...if you're worried about airborne contams...spray the air with some Lysol disinfectant before handling the jars...

let's see what else...oh yeah...

be patient and stop molesting the jars...heheh...

--------------------

i dont cultivate...i just post pictures, spread knowledge, and give advice
my brain's illegal because it contains DMT in the pineal gland, and so does your brain and everyone elses
the name's GestaltAssault not Get Us A Slut

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Re: True Newbie Experimentation [Re: GestaltAssault]
    #1690138 - 07/06/03 01:09 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Also , I had my jars sit in a rubermaid container with no tape whatsoever on them (thats why the ramsey seal is there!) and I had no problems , and once in a while I turned my jars upside down , and then right side up again o course

--------------------

InvisibleMycoCakeEater
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Re: True Newbie Experimentation [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #1690205 - 07/06/03 01:40 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Wow. I would have never gone through all of that. Jar would have been in the trash and i would have made some new ones STERILE.

OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
Re: True Newbie Experimentation [Re: MycoCakeEater]
    #1690329 - 07/06/03 02:31 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

For one thing, I'd suggest using the tyvek tek to help cut down on contaminants while still providing air exchange. 

For another -- one good way to cut down on drying is to line a box with a plastic garbage bag, put the jars you're incubating in there, and then tie the bag shut lightly.  Cuts down on evaporation a bit.

A FoaF isn't bothering with a heat pad now -- the daytime temps are between 83 and 90, and he doesn't have AC -- the conditions as they are are pretty good for growing.  It's always better to use energy efficiently.  :smile:

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom