Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

Lets put it all together: HoW tO mAkE YouR CoMPutEr SaFe???
    #1688849 - 07/05/03 08:58 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Hello!
I read almost all the posts in this forum concerning Your personal safety, and now (as to a being who is not too much into computers) there is a big mess in my head - all these PGPs, proxies, F-secures, evidence eliminators etc. etc.
Im going to get an internet connection at home soon, so could (please, please, please) any wise man tell me, step by step, "making it all safe for Dummies". What do I have to do? Which are the weak points and how to make them stronger/safer? What do I have to download and install? Where? What should I change in any program/OS setups? Tips, hints, anything!!! I will be really thankful for Your help...

Thanks in advance...

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblefjbk47985
Has Been AbsentFor Far Too Long
Re: Lets put it all together: HOW TO MAKE YOUR COMPUTER SAFE??? [Re: ivi]
    #1688973 - 07/05/03 09:56 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Well i guess lets start with the basics:

1) disable your cookies
2) clear history often/delete offline content (including icq/msn history)
3) get a permanant erase program.. as when u delete something from the windows recycling bin... the file is actually there and your computer is just waiting to overwrite it with new info (this is why cops can recover data from hard drives) so when u wanna get rid of something..make sure it's gone.
4)use a firewall/proxy and anythign else u can think of to hide your ip (even better if you have a connection with a dynamic ip)

it's getting late and i would love to help u out further so gimme a shout on msn. deadeye69@hotmail.com

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

Lets put it all together: HoW tO mAkE YouR CoMPutEr SaFe??? [Re: fjbk47985]
    #1688986 - 07/05/03 10:03 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------

Edited by ivi (07/27/05 09:21 PM)

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: Lets put it all together: HoW tO mAkE YouR CoMPutEr SaFe??? [Re: ivi]
    #1689211 - 07/05/03 11:45 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

What are you trying to do? Keep yourself safe from hackers, keep yourself anonymous on the internet, keep the files you send/recieve encrypted or keep the actual computer, itself secure?

A dynamic IP (one that changes) can't really help much if you are trying to be anonymous, unless your ISP doesn't keep log files. The only way you can really surf completely anonymously is through a secure proxy server or another anonymous surfing "gateway" (other than your ISP) that works through SSL 128-bit encryption and does not keep log files. You can email with an anonymous remailer, though, and post to usenet via a mail2news gateway (through the remailer) or even set up a secure email address through a nymserver (but these are complicated; there was a program called Private Idaho for this, but I don't know how good it is because I've never used it.) You could even have this encrypt all your mesages with your public key (not even the nymserver that has the public key can decrypt it at this point; not without your secret key and passphrase) and post it to usenet. You can "chain," or layer the encryption to different remailers (you have to PGP encrypt the files with any good remailer) to make it even more secure, so multiple remailers would have to be comprimised to break though all of the layers of encryption.

For hackers, look up a good firewall -- do a search on http://www.neworder.box.sk for exploits for that particular version, AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL THE SETTINGS RIGHT.

Othere than that -- PGP is really good encryption; see the post in this forum about magnetically erasing a hard drive.

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

Re: Lets put it all together: HoW tO mAkE YouR CoMPutEr SaFe??? [Re: micro]
    #1689219 - 07/05/03 11:50 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

More like to keep myself completely anonymous on the internet.

What is my goal is that I could sit at home by my computer feeling safe. Posting anything I want, downloading/uploading anything i want, saying what i want, but NOBODY could ever find out WHO and WHERE I am.

I'm just tired of paranoia.

--------------------

Edited by ivi (07/27/05 09:23 PM)

Offlineatomikfunksoldier
T'was born oftrue in the yearof the cock!

Loc: a human-infested anthill
    #1689246 - 07/06/03 12:18 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

www.ziplip.com provides encrypted email.

--------------------
enjoy the entertaining indentity i have constructed for you while you can.

Invisibleiglou
enthusiast
Re: Lets put it all together: HoW tO mAkE YouR CoMPutEr SaFe??? [Re: atomikfunksoldier]
    #1690462 - 07/06/03 03:21 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

download & use this: spybot.

What does SpyBot-Search & Destroy do? 

Spybot - Search & Destroy can detect and remove spyware of different kinds from your computer. Spyware is a relatively new kind of threat that common anti-virus applications do not yet cover. If you see new toolbars in your Internet Explorer that you didn't intentionally install, if your browser crashes, or if you browser start page has changed without your knowing, you most probably have spyware. But even if you don't see anything, you may be infected, because more and more spyware is emerging that is silently tracking your surfing behaviour to create a marketing profile of you that will be sold to advertisement companies. Spybot-S&D is free, so there's no harm in trying to see if something snooped into your computer, too :smile:

Spybot-S&D can also clean usage tracks, an interesting function if you share your computer with other users and don't want them to see what you worked on. And for professional users, it allows to fix some registry inconsistencies and extended reports.

You'll also need a good firewall/anti-virus installed.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1690525 - 07/06/03 03:46 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

HoW tO mAkE YouR CoMPutEr SaFe

What are you? 12?

The alternating caps make you appear to be a real tool.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineExtravagantDream
Beacon in theDarkness
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in the Local Su...
Re: Lets put it all together: HoW tO mAkE YouR CoMPutEr SaFe??? [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1691188 - 07/06/03 08:29 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Is spybot similar to Ad-Aware?

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: ExtravagantDream]
    #1691307 - 07/06/03 09:21 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Invisibleiglou
enthusiast
Re: Lets put it all together: HoW tO mAkE YouR CoMPutEr SaFe??? [Re: ExtravagantDream]
    #1692028 - 07/07/03 02:05 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

yes and no.

here's an article that compares and critiques the various spyware defenses: read

Hope that helps :smile: 

Offlinehongomon
old hand
Loc: comin' at ya
Re: Lets put it all together: HoW tO mAkE YouR CoMPutEr SaFe??? [Re: iglou]
    #1693116 - 07/07/03 12:57 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

This is also a good site:

TechGuy

If you download HijackThis you can post a log (different from taking a dump in this case) on the TechGuy forum and they'll help you ID what to fix. They also recommend Ad-Aware, Spybot, RBKiller, things like that. My guess is that some of those guys are involved in R&D and helping posters with security problems helps them in their R&D.

Offlinebiglo
Shroomery BabySitter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: US of A
    #1694442 - 07/07/03 08:37 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

You will NEVER be totally secure, no matter how hard you try. The goal is to minimize being exposed and not raising red flags. The one thing that has kept the internet from being completely anonymous is the IP address. Basically every computer has an IP address, which uniquely identifies a person to that computer. You are given this IP address by your internet service provider so that a remote computer (such as the shroomery server) know's where to send data you request off the internet. If you do something to set off a red flag, you can be traced by your IP address. And if you piss off the right people or the authorities, they can demand your ISP to tell who owns that IP address. You just have to realize what you can and can't do safely on the net. Doing blatantly illegal things is usually what does it. You shouldn't be to worried about being monitored on this board unless you are doing or bragging about doing blatantly illegal activities, otherwise there is no real evidence to warrant your ISP turning your name in to the authorities. Just be careful, don't do anything too stupid, and learn what you can and can't do safely on the net, and you can surf without a ton of paranoia. Be smart, be safe.

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
Re: Lets put it all together: HoW tO mAkE YouR CoMPutEr SaFe??? [Re: biglo]
    #1694568 - 07/07/03 09:25 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

This forum first started years ago, and at the time it was simply "The Security Forum".

Both Alien and I were the mods. The forum was generally about guerrila growing and internet/computer security.

As the shroomery grew the forum has changed. Its not so much focused on security as it once was. My suggestion would be to look for some really old threads and/or read here - http://www.overgrow.com/edge/forumdisplay.php?forumid=11

Have fun
Lana

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

Offlinepsilofan
Question Sleep

Loc: Halls Of Valhalla, 3rd Do...
Re: Lets put it all together: HoW tO mAkE YouR CoMPutEr SaFe??? [Re: Lana]
    #1697449 - 07/08/03 08:22 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Unplug it. Set it On Fire. Bury It.
Worry a little less...A little.
Seriously a good firewall will serve you well.
I personally use Microsoft Isa Server Running On my Win2003Server Machine and it kicks ass..Its Microsofts Professional Firewall/Caching program, it also incorporates routing and remote access and internet connection sharing...very good stuff.
Turn your cookies off is very good advice.
Also In Internet Explorer
Tools>Internet Options>Delete Files>[x]Delete All Offline Content
Every once in a while. (this clears your cache)
If your running an nt environment (win2k/xp/etc..)
Read up on the command line utility "netstat"
This can be used for a variety of different maintenance tasks including checking open ports.
Shut down ports for services you do not use.
Another good thing to do is to turn off netbios file and print sharing.
Do this by locating your list of network cards right click and choose properties on your outgoing nic card (to the inet) and uncheck client for ms networks and uncheck file and print sharing. netbios is very weak security wise...you may not know this but any drive you create through partitioning is automatically shared in 2k and xp...they are called administrative shares and can be easilly accessed through a network connection ..even your c drive..if you know anything about microsoft management console you can check all your shares and see them right there they are called cash shares or "administrative shares" (c$,d$etc..) Disabling sharing will nuke these....VERY good to do.
Also annihilate kazaa,limewire and the like and run ad-aware.
Sorry for the long post hope it helps :smile:
Good luck , and feel free to pm me with just about any computer questions...

--------------------
"There is no such thing as death, and life is only a dream in which we are the imagination of ourselves."
-Hicks

Invisiblewingnutx

#1727420 - 07/18/03 11:18 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

First of all, buy a hardware firewall if you are going to use broadband. You'll need a router anyway, might as well make it a firewall. Most are, and they are pretty cheap these days.

Second, get antivirus software and keep it updated. McAfee is very good, and so is Norton.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom