Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Choiceless Democracy
    #1688658 - 07/05/03 09:24 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Something was stripped bare in the days ahead of the war in Iraq. It was that rare moment in which an actual world majority could see that ultimate chimera - the system - working against them. On the one side, overwhelming public opposition to the war.

On the other: wildly disproportionate mass media support for a conflict (overwhelmingly so in the US and Canada); corporate cheerleading (or, at best, corporate silence); and, of course, the embarrassing spectacle of national governments horse-trading their morality in exchange for protection from the tantrums of the White House and Wall Street. Who could forget 1990, when struggling Yemen cast its UN vote against the first Gulf War and lost $70 million in US aid within a week?

All of it was just a reminder. This is the way politics is played every day, out of sight - terms like "economic war" and "capital strike" are only unfamiliar because they're better known as "diplomacy" and "investor nonconfidence." To see these assaults in action, look to Brazil, the newest whipping dog. At the end of last year, President Lula da Silva came to power promising to narrow the rich-poor gap (wider in Brazil than almost anywhere on Earth) and campaigning fiercely against the International Monetary Fund's globalization agenda. Now, only a few months later, da Silva is treading carefully to avoid an economic preemptive strike from the planet's most powerful banks and investors. His social programs are on hold, and an austerity budget is planned to keep Brazil in the imf good books.

It's hard to blame da Silva; if he wants to see the results of making war with local and global economic powers, he can look to his neighbors, Venezuela and Cuba. For even greater comfort, he might even look to Germany. In 1998, Gerhard Schr?der campaigned on popular promises to firm up social welfare. Chancellor Schr?der then abandoned that plan as nothing more than pretty rhetoric. International investors had mobilized for a pullout, spooked by the threat that Schr?der might govern not for them, but for the voting public.

The effect has been called "choiceless democracy." Cast whatever ballot you like; you have already lost the most fundamental options. Government is only one force, and not a strong one, alongside corporate power, corporate media, the investment elite and the influence of the world's most powerful nations and institutions - all of which cross-pollinate. It's not a conspiracy. It's just business as usual.

Where does that leave the so-called "global citizen"?

The short answer is: frustrated and angry. More and more of us are stretched thin, genuinely fearful that the next tremor in the market will put us out of a job or a home - it seems safer not to rock the boat. Political philosopher Slavo Zizek, who has lived under and studied both communist regimes and liberal democracy, sees too many similarities for comfort. "Choices made by people in democratic states are not necessarily less compulsory, and yet they experience these choices as though they are free," he says. "We have returned to the concept of history as fate."

THE END

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCrobih
rap-cord
Loc: cave
Re: Choiceless Democracy [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #1712174 - 07/13/03 08:01 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Its not the end. Its the begining of the new ere. The true democracy.

Anyway, the system we call democracy is oligarchy. All this shit that is happening around globe, such as @war on terroirsm@ and many other shit is nothing but keeping the eyes of the people turned int the oposite direction of the real problem.

But, the time is comming very soon, the time of true democracy! Maybe the first time in the history. And we are going to witness that time!

Splendid :smile:

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: Choiceless Democracy [Re: Crobih]
    #1712202 - 07/13/03 08:13 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I hope so my friend

--------------------

OfflineCrobih
rap-cord
Loc: cave
Re: Choiceless Democracy [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #1712212 - 07/13/03 08:18 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Its not a matter of hope, but matter of time :wink:

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: Choiceless Democracy [Re: Crobih]
    #1712348 - 07/13/03 09:14 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

www.adbusters.org

well the only magazine that I trust now adays is this one(because it is TRULY independent and has many writers from all around the world ,
real people , real issues , hold the corporate spin

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion