Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSimplepowa
In Pursuit of Knowledge

UAE call to ban hypnotic music as illegal 'digital drug'
    #16881986 - 09/20/12 06:31 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

DUBAI: A police scientist is calling for a type of hypnotic music to be banned by law in the same way as drugs.Dr Sarhan Al Meheini, deputy director of the Police Sciences Academy in Sharjah, believes audio files called "binaural beats" should be dealt with like cannabis and ecstasy.

Binaural beats are generally used to reach altered states of consciousness, for meditation or alertness or to aid sleep, but many producers claim the technology can mimic the effect of drugs on the brain.

There is no scientific evidence for their claims and reviews are mixed at best, but Dr Al Meheini believes "digital drugs" pose a risk to society.

"It's important that we warn the public and start a campaign to make people aware of it," he said. "It's already spread around the world and can be downloaded in the UAE and listened to by college students.

"Right now it's not illegal but it should be, because it's a danger to society."

A US company, I-Doser, has tracks on its website with names such as cocaine, opium and peyote that can be bought for US$3.25 (Dh11.9) each. The website is not blocked.

The company also produces tracks that purportedly simulate orgasms, and others claim to take listeners to the "gates of hell".

YouTube has dozens of videos of teenagers having convulsions while listening to the music.

I-Doser carried out a survey that found almost a fifth (17 per cent) of listeners felt no effect from its products.

"Our doses attempt to simulate the effects of real-world experiences, drugs included," a spokesman for the company said. "Whether it is exactly the same depends on the person, but effects are intended to be close."

The effect of binaural beats or tones - when sounds of slightly different frequencies are played through each ear, the brain perceives a third "phantom" beat - was discovered in 1839 by the German physicist Heinrich Wilhelm Dove, but did not gain widespread public attention until the 1970s.

One study has shown that binaural beats can be a minor aid to relaxation.

A Dubai resident, Jessica Body, uses an iPhone app that plays binaural beats to help her sleep.

"It's brilliant, I use it all the time," she said. "When I have a busy, racing mind, it just helps put me to sleep."

Madina Burkhanova, business development manager at the Dubai meditation school the Third Eye Centre, used binaural beats regularly for a year before switching to breathing exercises.

"You can come to rely on it to get you into different states of mind," she said.

She was not aware of binaural beats being used in the same way as drugs. "I don't really understand the concept of it," Ms Burkhanova said.

Dr Al Meheini conducted a survey of an undisclosed number of students and found digital drugs were not well known in universities.

But he called for a campaign in schools to educate children on their harmful effects.

Dr Al Meheini also urged that websites selling the audio files should be blocked, and digital drugs listed among other illegal drugs.

It is believed to be the first time regulation has been considered for binaural beats. A spokesman for I-Doser said the company had not run into legal issues before.

"These are audio files and are in no way illegal in any country, as far as we are aware," he said.

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news/uae-call-to-ban-hypnotic-music-as-illegal-digital-drug

--------------------
Carl Sagan - "Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people."

---

Robert Pirsig - "When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."

---

Brian Cox - "[One] problem with today’s world is that everyone believes they have the right to express their opinion AND have others listen to it. The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMrHill
Tripper
Male

Loc: USA Flag
Re: UAE call to ban hypnotic music as illegal 'digital drug' [Re: Simplepowa] * 2
    #16882052 - 09/20/12 06:43 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

:lolwut:

--------------------
"The only one who's really
judging you is yourself.
Nobody else."

-Tame Impala

DOI Overdose Trip Report
:psychsplit:
400 ug LSD Trip Report

InvisibleNWlight
Just look

Re: UAE call to ban hypnotic music as illegal 'digital drug' [Re: MrHill]
    #16882432 - 09/20/12 07:47 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

:lolsy:

:tard::cop:

"digital drugs"???

what the fuck?  and Television isn't a digital drug? :rolleyes:

dumbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

--------------------
:wizard::deemsters:

OfflinehariKrishna
Sign of an Open Eye
Male

Re: UAE call to ban hypnotic music as illegal 'digital drug' [Re: NWlight] * 2
    #16882546 - 09/20/12 08:01 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------

InvisibleNWlight
Just look

Re: UAE call to ban hypnotic music as illegal 'digital drug' [Re: hariKrishna]
    #16882585 - 09/20/12 08:06 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

:awepreciation:

One of my favorite tunes to play on the keys

--------------------

Offlinenumnum59
Pro-Am Mycologist

Re: UAE call to ban hypnotic music as illegal 'digital drug' [Re: NWlight]
    #16882597 - 09/20/12 08:08 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

god damn

next theyll be saying were addicted to oxygen and it should be illegal...

InvisibleNWlight
Just look

Re: UAE call to ban hypnotic music as illegal 'digital drug' [Re: numnum59]
    #16882627 - 09/20/12 08:12 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

numnum59 said:
god damn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_bar ; :lol: 

i'm surprised it isnt TBH

--------------------

Offlinenumnum59
Pro-Am Mycologist

#16882655 - 09/20/12 08:16 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

NWlight said:
Quote:

numnum59 said:
god damn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_bar ; :lol: 

i'm surprised it isnt TBH

lol the govmt prolly would. along with grass, sunshine and trees. all illegal. some people are allergic to grass, sunshine will give u sunburn and trees are too tall. Obama would sign that into law as soon as it hit his desk! LOL

Offlinetacodude
Old Soul
 User Gallery
    #16882854 - 09/20/12 08:40 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I have actually tried this program, but my speakers did not seem well enough to get it to work... Fucking ridiculous though way to ban freedom to listen to a sound in your own space.

Offlinenumnum59
Pro-Am Mycologist

Re: UAE call to ban hypnotic music as illegal 'digital drug' [Re: tacodude]
    #16882895 - 09/20/12 08:47 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

tacodude said:
I have actually tried this program, but my speakers did not seem well enough to get it to work... Fucking ridiculous though way to ban freedom to listen to a sound in your own space.

i have also tried it. your supposed to use headphones but i couldnt get it to work either. i think the only way to feel the effects of a drug is to just take the drug. lol

InvisibleNWlight
Just look

Re: UAE call to ban hypnotic music as illegal 'digital drug' [Re: tacodude]
    #16882940 - 09/20/12 08:53 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

tacodude said:

I think it is equally ridiculous when applied to real life drugs  :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineMushroomDogMan
Me
Male

#16883299 - 09/20/12 09:41 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Can you imagine living in a country like Dubai?  I'm so glad that I don't live there.  As backwards as America's drug laws are there are still so many places that are worse.

OfflineKnowledgePsySeeker
Stranger

#16885793 - 09/21/12 10:16 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

numnum59 said:
god damn

That would make more sense than this. Oxygen is a prescription drug, and can actually be dangerous to some people. Oxygen bars are stupid....

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Loc: Flag
Re: UAE call to ban hypnotic music as illegal 'digital drug' [Re: KnowledgePsySeeker]
    #16885815 - 09/21/12 10:23 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Good article, weird vibes man.

Next thing you know they'll ban smiling in New Jersey.

OfflineKnowledgePsySeeker
Stranger

Re: UAE call to ban hypnotic music as illegal 'digital drug' [Re: Adden]
    #16885882 - 09/21/12 10:40 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Dystopia said:

Next thing you know they'll ban smiling in New Jersey.

Hahahahahahaha

OfflineAdmon420
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: UAE call to ban hypnotic music as illegal 'digital drug' [Re: KnowledgePsySeeker]
    #16886799 - 09/21/12 01:32 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Lol, gotta love the shroomery, besides I thought we were supposed to go form our own country, or did that die in a five year old thread?

OfflineHumility
Working on it
 User Gallery

Re: UAE call to ban hypnotic music as illegal 'digital drug' [Re: MushroomDogMan]
    #16887146 - 09/21/12 02:41 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

MushroomDogMan said:
Can you imagine living in a country like Dubai?  I'm so glad that I don't live there.  As backwards as America's drug laws are there are still so many places that are worse.

I bitch a lot but this is very true.

That said, I'm grateful, but not to any specific person or people but rather circumstance(s).  However, it's like being grateful for being raped instead of fucked in all three holes, tortured and murdered, or like being heavily groped (sexually assualted) but not raped.

None of it is okay, but things could be worse.  That doesn't make me complacent though.

--------------------

OfflineAzerate
Sandypants
Male

Loc: Montreal Flag
Re: UAE call to ban hypnotic music as illegal 'digital drug' [Re: MushroomDogMan]
    #16897588 - 09/23/12 02:20 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I grew up in Dubai till I was 17 and went to college in canada, I had never heard of weed or anything, its basically an adults playground where you go spend thousands a night doing luxurious prestigious things, or a place rich families send their kids so they dont do drugs, so uptight women can't even show their shoulders or knees!! too erotic or some shit lol, doing almost anything with a woman in public is illegal- just imagine! most of the people who graduated with me ended up as hippies me included, well hippies is not the word but you get it, like rebellious drug users haha

OfflineCamwritesgonzo
The Unflushable Stool
Male User Gallery

Loc: On Uranus Flag
Re: UAE call to ban hypnotic music as illegal 'digital drug' [Re: Simplepowa]
    #16924900 - 09/28/12 02:53 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

They have it all backwards. You don't get high from listening to binaural beats, you listen to binaural beats when you're high. THAT'S how you get it to work. Next they'll be trying to outlaw jerking off in the privacy of your own home because achieving orgasm gives a person a short-lived high. :facepalm:

--------------------
"I've always maintained that reality is for those who can't face drugs."-Tom Waits
"I feel the same way about disco as I feel about herpes."-Hunter S. Thompson
A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?

Invisiblejohnnyrad

*DELETED* [Re: Camwritesgonzo]
    #16928544 - 09/28/12 06:25 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Edited by johnnyrad (08/06/17 09:52 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order