Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
First Time Growin' -- Early Impressions
    #1682212 - 07/03/03 12:39 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

So, a FoaF innoculated ten jars of BRF about a week and a half ago.  Five were creeper, five were South African. 

My FoaF had some problems with bits of rice or verm clogging the needle when he was innoculating the Crp jars -- this would probably explain why one jar doesn't have any growth, and why a couple of the jars only 'took' along one or two innoculation points.  However, where they took, *boom*, big old dense starbursts of white myc are growing.  If only I'd made sure the needle was clear each time he injected ... oh well.  That's some experience, at least. 

The South African grew more slowly, but from many more points, so almost all of the innoculation points show that classic flow-of-white-down-the-sides pattern.  The myc is significantly thinner and less, well, strong looking.  It's not as white or rhizoid as the Crp myc, but I expect this will correct itself when it starts bulking up. I'd fear that it was cobweb, but if it were, that'd mean he got a syringe full of the stuff.  :wink:

These jars were PC'd for 40 minutes.  One of the crp jars has a contam -- from the grey-green color I'd say it's probably a penicillium, and one of the SA jars has something that -might- be a bacterial growth or just some myc that he injected below the surface of the BRF.  Since both contaminations -- or rather, the contamination and the suspected contamination -- are both roughly at the injection points, I suspect that he must've goofed and touched the needle to something or other while in the process of innoculating.

So...it looks like the creeper would've been a better strain if he hadn't screwed up and paid more attention to keeping the syringe clear, but as it is, I expect most of the africans to fully colonize before most of the creepers.

I'll post a full growlog when this is done. 

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMycoCakeEater
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Re: First Time Growin' -- Early Impressions [Re: Sev]
    #1682228 - 07/03/03 12:42 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Never heard of having a prob with verm and brf getting stuck in the needle...hmmmm interesting. Anywho Good Luck! Keep us posted.

OfflineSev
Astropath
Re: First Time Growin' -- Early Impressions [Re: MycoCakeEater]
    #1682256 - 07/03/03 12:48 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Myco:  Well, to be accurate, it wasn't precisely BRF.  It was ground brown rice, and there were little bits of rice grain in there too.  It doesn't seem to be bad for the shrooms, but it's definitely something that needs to be watched for if you do the same thing. :wink:

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #1682591 - 07/03/03 02:45 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Hey Sev.  Hmm...my kittens south africans are growing slow as well, but they've only been inoculating for about 1 week and 1 day.  Maybe things will pick up in the next few days.  Thats great about your foaf's creepers...the kittens puerto ricans showed growth after two days and one is 70% done.  :smile:  Yei!  Tell your foaf good luck!  :wink: 

OfflineTantalus
Beyonddescription.
Re: First Time Growin' -- Early Impressions [Re: MOTH]
    #1682915 - 07/03/03 06:22 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

AFOAF, is working on B+ and S. African now. The S. African was alot slower to germinate and looked thin like you discribe towards the beginning.

The S. African thickened up after a while & started growing faster toward the end than the B+... not quite enough to catch up for the slow germ though.

--------------------
"A nation's hope of lasting peace cannot be firmly based upon any race in armaments but rather upon just relations and honest understanding with all other nations...

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed... The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. We pay for a single fighter with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people..."

President Dwight Eisenhower, 1953

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #1683335 - 07/03/03 08:44 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

You want to get the needle right up to the side of the jar, with the hole facing the glass side. Don't go through the actual substrate, it will clog your syringe.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

InvisibleMycoCakeEater
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Re: First Time Growin' -- Early Impressions [Re: soochi]
    #1683707 - 07/03/03 10:59 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah,that might help. :cool:

OfflineDannyBoy
ShroomEnthusiast

Loc: South East, U.S.A.
Re: First Time Growin' -- Early Impressions [Re: MycoCakeEater]
    #1683727 - 07/03/03 11:09 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

hmmm.....don't go through the actual substrate.....is that BAD? Or, grrr.....so if that is done are things fucked up?

--------------------
"It has been said that kids say the darndest things, but so would you if you had no education"

InvisibleMycoCakeEater
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Re: First Time Growin' -- Early Impressions [Re: DannyBoy]
    #1683746 - 07/03/03 11:16 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

No not at all. Just remember not to do it again.

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
Re: First Time Growin' -- Early Impressions [Re: DannyBoy]
    #1683821 - 07/03/03 11:52 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

You could have introduced contams to the syringe, but that's just my guess.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

OfflineSev
Astropath
Re: First Time Growin' -- Early Impressions [Re: soochi]
    #1684656 - 07/03/03 06:26 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Naw, I don't think he introduced contams into the syringe, since he flamed it each time.  I think what happened was that the plug in there acted as a filter, and not much got into the jar in the way of spores, when it was clogged.

Tantalus and Ellemyshshadeade:  Yeah.  It looks like South African starts off slow, and then picks up in speed quickly.  Today (a week and a day after innoc) the SA started showing more rhizoid growth.  Oh, and I'm pretty sure that the suspected contam in the SA jar was just what I said -- some spores that generated under the substrate, and only just surfaced.  :smile:
My foaf happy with 'em both -- but Creeper is definitely a more aggressive colonizer, and, though I have limited experience with watching strains grow (so far, Crp and SA :wink:) I'll definitely recommend creeper to any first-timers.  There's no mistaking it for a contam, that's for sure. 

--------------------

Offlinehyper_dermic
stranger withcandy

Loc: the land of excess
    #1685521 - 07/04/03 01:04 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I'd fear that it was cobweb, but if it were, that'd mean he got a syringe full of the stuff.

thats EXACTLY what happened to me......

dont think it doesnt' happen....

[hyp]

OfflineSev
Astropath
Re: First Time Growin' -- Early Impressions [Re: hyper_dermic]
    #1687536 - 07/05/03 05:26 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

*grins*  Well, I guess we'll see whether this cobweb grows shrooms.  :wink:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate