Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Is worldwide Capitalism impossible? [Re: Lallafa]
    #1697597 - 07/08/03 09:12 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Lallafa writes:

you write this as if you are opposed to the legal counterfeiting

I am.

with a growing population, and never-ending inflation, your "gold standard" libertarian philosophy is a joke.

Inflation can only occur with fiat currency.

you should make it clear, as a hardened defender of the capital order, that this governmental control is the ONLY way to prevent a complete economic collapse

Why would I attempt to make clear something that is patently untrue?

agreed?

Nope.

My purpose in opening a separate thread to address GazzBut's comment rather than derailing the thread in which it appeared was not to criticize the insanity of government control of currency, it was to see if anyone cared to comment on the premise that Capitalism cannot be maintained in the absence of non-Capitalists to be exploited. As a courtesy, however, I addressed somebodyelse's points re currency. As a courtesy to you, I have addressed your points as well.

Do you have an opinion on the premise that Capitalism cannot be maintained in the absence of non-Capitalists to be exploited?

pinky

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: Is worldwide Capitalism impossible? [Re: Phred]
    #1699060 - 07/09/03 07:59 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

As I have already said in this thread, In order to maintain the current form of captitalism I believe it is not so much non-capitalists that are needed just a segment of the system which is perennially exploited. At the moment the perennially exploited do not happen to be capitalists.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

InvisibleLallafa
p_g monocle
 User Gallery

Loc: underbelly
    #1699137 - 07/09/03 08:55 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

z

--------------------
my tax dollars going to more hits of acid for charles manson

Edited by Lallafa (02/24/10 09:00 AM)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1699145 - 07/09/03 09:03 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

its an imperfect model, as you have admitted

Still the best going.

Quote:

the world population is increasing at a steady rate, and the % of people in america is increasing even faster. if we didt have welfare, if we didt have government agencys, trqde barriers on imports with the hopes of increasing demand for domestically produced goods, and the government starting wars to create jobs, there would be massive unemployment, crime, famine, and what-have-you

The one does not necessarily lead to the other. If there was no welfare then perhaps welfare cows wouldn't be popping babies out they can't afford and there would be less people.

Quote:

there would probably be people shooting each other for food eventually.

That's a large leap.

Quote:

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: Is worldwide Capitalism impossible? [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1699151 - 07/09/03 09:08 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

That's a large leap.

Not as large as....

Quote:

If there was no welfare then perhaps welfare cows wouldn't be popping babies out they can't afford and there would be less people.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Is worldwide Capitalism impossible? [Re: GazzBut]
    #1699154 - 07/09/03 09:09 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Perhaps you should look up the definition of "probably" and "perhaps".

EDIT: Lets make that you should probably look up those definitions.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Edited by luvdemshrooms (07/09/03 09:10 AM)

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
    #1699230 - 07/09/03 10:06 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

the world population is increasing at a steady rate, and the % of people in america is increasing even faster.

What statistics are you referring to here? If the % of people in america is increasing faster than the world population, then that can only be caused by immigration, because the US produces fewer babies per woman (2.07) than the world average (2.70).

I'm all for redistribution of income by the way, but not if the system rewards people for breeding like rabbits or staying unemployed. The redistribution should benefit all members of the state equally, no exceptions, no conditions.

InvisibleLallafa
p_g monocle
 User Gallery

Loc: underbelly
Re: Is worldwide Capitalism impossible? [Re: Rhizoid]
    #1699408 - 07/09/03 11:33 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

a sinful solution or cold logic?

http://www.tibet.ca/wtnarchive/2000/6/13_7.html

Quote:

Since 1979, China's strict birth limitation policy has become one of the most notorious ever enacted. All pregnancies must be authorized in order to maintain birth quotas and population goals. Women must obtain "birth coupons" prior to conception.

--------------------
my tax dollars going to more hits of acid for charles manson

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1699420 - 07/09/03 11:35 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Both.

It's just a shame an IQ test and a steady source of income isn't required before having kids.

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #1699989 - 07/09/03 02:51 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Lallafa writes:

libertarians believe that capitalism will solve everything.

Incorrect. I have done extensive reading of Libertarian and Laissez-faire Capitalist writers, and I have yet to see a single one opine that Capitalism will solve everything.

if we didt have welfare, if we didt have government agencys, trqde barriers on imports with the hopes of increasing demand for domestically produced goods, and the government starting wars to create jobs, there would be massive unemployment, crime, famine, and what-have-you

The US didn't have welfare, government agencies, or onerous trade barriers on imports in the late Eighteenth and Nineteenth century. The US didn't start wars to create jobs during that time either. There was no "massive" unemployment, runaway crime, famine or what have you then. Why would there be now?

any well educated economist will tell you that the gold standard thing wouldnt last very long without some sort of intervention

Incorrect. Maybe some economists educated in US government schools would say such a thing, but there are many highly regarded economists who have shown that fiat currency is entirely unnecessary to the health of a free economy. And of course, there are numerous examples of fiat currency devastating economies. It's happening right now in the Dominican Republic.

someone has to get paid less than 1 dollar an hour to make our 120$ nike shoes

Capitalism can be maintained and even flourish without the existence of $120 Nike shoes.

pinky

--------------------

Offlinehongomon
old hand
Loc: comin' at ya
    #1703290 - 07/10/03 04:10 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

What I was hoping to do in my posts was offer examples of resistence to Capitalism. In a lot of ways, Communism is a reaction by the lower economic classes against the higher economic classes. I'm not justifying anything, but that's what has happened. This may be too deterministic for you, I don't know. But look at the examples of supposed oppression--they both describe the same spoiled kid with a bloated sense of entitlement. That's not the same "oppression" that is felt, however accurately or unaccurately, in other parts of the world. I mean, really, some people get a really shitty end of the stick and no law is broken.

Capitalist apologists can sidestep the issue with examples out of left field, and they can continue to say "No one is forcing them..." or whatever (yes it's generally true but it doesn't adequately cover the situation), but it won't make the problem, if there is one, or one developing, go away.

But anyway, that's what I see as a possible obstacle to Capitalism. Where a Capitalist says "Your idea of 'oppression' is a non-concept" it might increase the possibility of something Marxist-ish from taking hold--a "dictatorship of the proletariat" or some other unrestful climate.

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #1704258 - 07/10/03 09:57 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

It's just a shame an IQ test and a steady source of income isn't required before having kids.

That's not very libertarian of you. Wouldn't that require governmental interference that you supposedly despise? As a matter of fact,that sounds pretty communist to me.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Is worldwide Capitalism impossible? [Re: hongomon]
    #1704611 - 07/11/03 12:26 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Capitalist apologists can sidestep the issue with examples out of left field, and they can continue to say "No one is forcing them..." or whatever

I suppose they'd say the same about child prostitution in south east asia where after working for 10 cents an hour all day kids still have to go out and sell their ass to earn enough to eat. "No-one is forcing that 10 year old to blow that 50 year old american, capitalism provides them with a choice..."

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: Is worldwide Capitalism impossible? [Re: Xlea321]
    #1704652 - 07/11/03 12:38 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

There is a fine line between force and coercion (sp?).

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Is worldwide Capitalism impossible? [Re: monoamine]
    #1705086 - 07/11/03 03:54 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

grandmasterfat said:
Quote:

That's not very libertarian of you. Wouldn't that require governmental interference that you supposedly despise? As a matter of fact,that sounds pretty communist to me.

That springs from my personal dislike of stupidity, not any realistic political views.

Besides, if one wanted to really stretch the issue that stupidity harms the rest of us, that would fit in (remember we're stretching here) with anyone should be able to do anything they wish as long as no-one else is harmed.

--------------------

Offlinesomebodyelse
In_Is_Out

#1705133 - 07/11/03 04:55 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

That springs from my personal dislike of stupidity, not any realistic political views.

Besides, if one wanted to really stretch the issue that stupidity harms the rest of us, that would fit in (remember we're stretching here) with anyone should be able to do anything they wish as long as no-one else is harmed.

Wow, I actually fully agree with you on this. So why can't we extend the desired IQ test to voting, too?

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Is worldwide Capitalism impossible? [Re: somebodyelse]
    #1705159 - 07/11/03 05:30 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I think you actually agree with me more often than you admit.

That having been said, there's a lot of things I'd love to see an IQ test for.

--------------------

Offlinehongomon
old hand
Loc: comin' at ya
Re: Is worldwide Capitalism impossible? [Re: Xlea321]
    #1708382 - 07/12/03 11:56 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Yes, it's very often the circumstances that are putting the pressure on the person. And now, with capital as mobile as it is and companies as world-wide as they are, it's even less difficult to find and set up shop in areas with a lot of people facing starvation, with whom a business might be holding nearly all the bargaining chips.

It seems we are only expected to appreciate these business for offering something. I don't always feel the gratitude.

Anyway, I wonder now if pinky might step away from the defense position and take on the "campaigner" role--to try and present Capitalism to a skeptical but interested "voter", just as an exercise. He has made some good points, but maybe a compendium of sorts--or a link to where it's been done might go well here.

(Sorry to address you obliquely like this pinky, it's in the interest of time)

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #1708691 - 07/12/03 02:35 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

in order to have HAVES, you have to have HAVENOTS.

Besides, capitalism always reverts to communism over time, and vice versa. its just a cycle, and every part of that cycle has its pros and cons, just like everything else.

haven't you guys been paying attention?

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #1708717 - 07/12/03 02:41 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

>...Could you please explain to us how Bill Gates's greedy possession of three enormous mansions, seven Ferraris and bathtubs full of champagne prevents anyone else from acquiring enough to live well? Thanks<

Um...  yeah dude, its called "finite resources" and "exponentially increasing population"

Now, if somebody wanted to spend some serious money on physics research, terraforming Mars, and mining/building a zero-g launchpad on the moon, we could solve both of these problems, but most rich people I know are way more concerned about stuffing their faces, watching TV, and buying wasteful consumer products. 

not to mention the crapulence of our education system...  see? I actually think "crapulence" is a word :smile:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale