Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleVortex
Philosopher
Loc: Pittsburgh
another guy who needs an ID
    #1675983 - 07/01/03 02:22 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Well, I was hunting for some subbalteatus a few weeks ago, but didn't find any. However, I did find several other mushrooms that I put aside out of curiosity. After looking at some photos on the boards, I think that they're Panaeolus castaneifolius.

These mushrooms were found growing in an unfertilized lawn (except for a couple dogs) near Pittsburgh PA. The weather was great for mushroom pickin and there were mushrooms all over the place. I don't have any photos of them while fresh because of camera problems, but I have a photo of all of them dried.

While moist, the caps were about 1.25-1.75 cm in diameter, the stems ranged from about 3-5 inches long and about 1/8 to 1/6 cm wide. The gills were black with white edges. The cap was a dark tan color in the center, fading to a more straw-like color, with white edges. A sporeprint (which I no longer have) was black. The caps were a lot smoother and conical before drying. They looked almost exactly like the Panaeolus castaneifolius photos posted by GGreatOne234.

I put a quarter in the photo just for size comparison, plz note that they're dried. I'm not even sure if Panaeolus castaneifolius grows in my area, but they sure look like them. If these aren't casta's, can someone point me in the direction of what I *should* be looking for? (my specific area is about 20 minutes southeast of pittsburgh)

--------------------
Only the ignorant find bliss in ignorance.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: another guy who needs an ID [Re: Vortex]
    #1676021 - 07/01/03 02:49 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

They *sound* like casters from the descrption, but they could be Pan foens. Did you notice any bluing on them at all? Are you 100% sure the print was black and not brown? Were the stems brittle or rubbery? Stems very white and almost shiny in light?

InvisibleVortex
Philosopher
Re: another guy who needs an ID [Re: Gumby]
    #1676076 - 07/01/03 03:26 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Overall, the mushrooms that i found didn't look like Panaeolina foenisecii, although i have found some growing that look a lot like that (and i suspected were foenisecii). For example the gills didn't look the same, the stems were considerably different, and the Panaeolina foenisecii were much larger than mine.

There wasn't any bluing on them that i could see, even after adjusting the hue and contrast on their photos just to double-check. the print was definately black, not brown... . The stems were a shade of white, but i'd say it was more of a "matte" white color rather than shiny or reflective. The stems were somewhat flexible, and still are even after drying. I'm pretty much convinced that it wasnt the foenisecii.

--------------------

Anonymous

#1676559 - 07/01/03 10:00 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

InvisibleVortex
Philosopher
Re: another guy who needs an ID [Re: ]
    #1677132 - 07/01/03 02:05 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Well I checked out the photos of the subbs, and these mushrooms didn't look like mine either. The edges aren't acutely white such as the subbs are, but rather I meant that the cap's color fades to a straw color towards the edges. I'm pretty sure they aren't subbs.

As for the lawn's status, it probably actually is fertilized. The soil itself is very rich and good for mushroom growth, and there's a lot of dog s**t that's decomposed into the soil over time. So it's "naturally" fertilized.

--------------------

Anonymous

#1677744 - 07/01/03 06:57 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

InvisibleVortex
Philosopher
    #1677835 - 07/01/03 07:40 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

hmm... so would it probably be safe to go ahead and try them figuring they likely are subbs? I was pretty sure that's what they were when I was picking them, but that feeling kinda left as I saw they looked different than most photos of subbs. Mr. Mushrooms, could you post photos of the ones you found? i'd be interested in seeing how alike they look.

--------------------

Anonymous

#1677852 - 07/01/03 07:44 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

InvisibleVortex
Philosopher
    #1680566 - 07/02/03 02:29 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Well, it's good to know that they aren't poisonous. If you look really closely at that photo, you can see a distinct white edge on at least a few of them.

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #1680714 - 07/02/03 03:25 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

dude mr shrooms if im looking at these shrooms rite that i got here, i found me some pan subs, cool, they could be foens though i suppose

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Anonymous

#1680849 - 07/02/03 04:02 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

InvisibleVortex
Philosopher
    #1687330 - 07/05/03 01:01 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Well, i ate the stem of one of them. Obviously not enough to propel me into a trip, but i definately did feel some effects! Those being some general change in consciousness, a slight stoned feeling, and some visual blurs.

I guess it's safe to say that they're active!

--------------------

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1687444 - 07/05/03 02:52 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I highly doubt that, one stem would not be enough for effect unless they are uber shrooms and they are not :\

Keep searching man, find more.

Happy 4th of July by the way :smile: I'm a bit drunk :smile: Smiles are fun  :wink:

Anonymous

#1687796 - 07/05/03 10:20 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds