Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecapital
Guy...
How screwed is this guy?
    #1684345 - 07/03/03 03:30 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I'm Cory long time shroomer, first time poster. I've cased for two years now. I use Hawk's 50/50+ Tek. I case in plastic trays sitting on a perlite humidity controll layer. Inside of rubber-lined cardboard boxes. I case with no perlite just 1/2" 50/50+, then 1/2" of crumbled colonized cake, and finally 1/2" of 50/50+ again. use no excessive sterile conditions untill I open the pressure cooker, then I close the kitchen off and spray everything down with 99.9% Isopropyl. I always wear a facemask and gloves. I pretty much follow the 50/50+ plus tek except for above and in the jars. In the jars I only fill a little less than 3/4 of the way up and only 1 Quart jars. I also inoculate with 3cc. a jar, in two sides through the same hole. I work the innoculation on an open oven door in the kitchen.

So what happened was I e-mailed my buddy a copy of my modified tek. He bought a 10ml. P.E.S.A. syringe and started to go at it. I talked to him today to ask how it went and he's made some pretty grave mistakes. Man he's a dumbass. I wrote the tek as easy one-step as I cpould.

Apparently he didn't sterilize the 50/50+ mix. He didn't want to buy a p.c. so he boiled it for an hour and a half on high. Only he didn't pasteurize the mix byitself he pasteurized it in the jars. Which he thought to boil seperately ahed of time. Then he didn't wait for the jars to cool all the way I don't think. When I let my jars cool I do so for at least four hours. He said he let them cool maybe two. He said they were still warm on the outside but only slightly warmer than room temp! And on top of that all he used the perlite in place of the vermiculite in the jars.

So what should I tell him? Will the spores survive the heat? Does perlite even work as substitute for vermiculite? I don't think that it matters how he pasteurized (In the jar etc.) but I've only cultivated this one way for so little time. Any thoughts?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
Re: How screwed is this guy? [Re: capital]
    #1684365 - 07/03/03 03:38 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

search this forum for perlite as substrate, or something to that affect. I've heard it can be done, havn't personally, but have seen pics of successful fruits grown off of perlite cakes.

Not sterilzing the 50/50 mix is not as big of a mistake as not letting jars cool. I've read your post a couple times and am not sure if you mean that he didn't let the 50/50 mix cool or the actual substrate jar cool. If it is the latter then the possibility of the spores surviving the extreme heat is very slim.

You don't have to pasteurize in jars just nuke the casing material in the microwave. I just posted not 1 hour ago about how to properly nuke casing material, please search the forum and read the FAQ.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Offlinecapital
Guy...
Re: How screwed is this guy? [Re: soochi]
    #1684531 - 07/03/03 05:01 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

He put the 50/50+ mix in the jars, sealed them, then pasteurized them. If the jar was slightly warmer than room temp on the outside is that too hot? Has anybody ever had spores survive.

Offlinecapital
Guy...
    #1684753 - 07/03/03 07:21 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Also is it possible to boil the un-innoculated jars to hot? I've read a couple of threads here that were talking about boiling too hot? I guess I'd really appreciate some more expeienced prediction on whether anything will colonize...

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #1684824 - 07/03/03 07:56 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

so he put the spores in with the 50/50??? not sure if i understand what your saying. if so then, that's not going to work. Usually overboiled pf jars (brown rice flour, vermiculite and water) dry out in the process, that's the main concern.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

InvisibleMycoCakeEater
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Re: How screwed is this guy? [Re: soochi]
    #1684907 - 07/03/03 08:25 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Pretty screwed. LOL what a mess. Just wait and see waht happens that sall you can do.

InvisibleEvolutionX
Evolutionary

Re: How screwed is this guy? [Re: MycoCakeEater]
    #1685188 - 07/03/03 10:45 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

u can cook un-innoculated substrate, but it would just be losing the moisture it needs, or simply, your have to burn it

Offlinecapital
Guy...
Re: How screwed is this guy? [Re: EvolutionX]
    #1686256 - 07/04/03 10:45 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

*bump*

Invisiblelongshot
title of what?

Loc: Farther North than you
    #1686452 - 07/04/03 01:05 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

The "What not to do Tek"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offlinelemunhed
The hustler'shustler

Loc: Ur moms house
Re: How screwed is this guy? [Re: longshot]
    #1686484 - 07/04/03 01:18 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

In general I would say your friend is pretty screwed. It's possible they survived innoculation, but the problem is that often times a little hotter than room temperature is up around 106f which is the danger zone... I don't think your going to want to wait for these jars to colonize even if it does work, it will take forever. I would cook a new batch if it were me, it's not that hard to mix up some jars... like 1.5 hours for a 10 jar batch from start to finish probably. Plus your friend will be learning alot.

--------------------
You're pompeius, aren't you? I'll make a pompeian of you unless you hold your toungue!

-Tiberius Claudius Nero

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale