Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Most Americans Believe Bush 'Stretched Truth' on Iraq
    #1684654 - 07/03/03 08:24 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Majority in US believes Bush "stretched" truth about Iraq: poll

Wednesday, 02-Jul-2003 12:50PM

Story from AFP / Patrick Anidjar
Copyright 2003 by Agence France-Presse (via ClariNet)

WASHINGTON, July 2 (AFP) - The US public is tiring of the war effort in Iraq and, for the first time, a survey said Wednesday, most believe the Bush administration "stretched the truth" or lied about Iraqi weapons of mass destruction.

In the face of the falling support, President George W. Bush has sought to reassure the public that the United States is not becoming bogged down in a protracted conflict but he and other US leaders have warned it could be a long presence.

A poll by the University of Maryland found that 52 percent of respondents said they believed Bush and his aides were "stretching the truth, but not making false statements" about Saddam Hussein's chemical, biological and nuclear programs.

Another 10 percent said US officials had presented "evidence they knew was false," indicated the survey. Only 32 percent said they thought the government was being "fully truthful" about the Iraqi arsenal.

Weapons of mass destruction were used as the main justification for launching conflict before the war was launched on March 20.

But since the fall of Baghdad on April 9 and Bush's declaration that the major combat was over on May 1, the United States has yet to report the discovery of any banned weapons.

And the mounting death toll among US troops in Iraq has helped to undermine public confidence in the US occupation.

As a result, 63 percent of the 1,051 people polled now believe the US Congress should investigate intelligence agencies to find out how they came up with information about the alleged Iraqi arsenal, the University of Maryland survey found.

Fifty-six percent believed the US government stretched the truth or made outright false statements about Hussein's ties to al-Qaeda.

Although overall support for the war in Iraq remained high, the poll gave indications of its erosion.

Thus, the share of those who unconditionally believe the war was the right thing to do dwindled from 53 percent in early May to 46 percent in early June. Twenty-nine percent, up from 22 percent in May, now say the United States was wrong.

Steven Kull, director of the University of Maryland survey programme, said: "The poll shows the public is in some turmoil about Iraq and uneasy about some of the administration claims.

"But for most people, the pluses of going to war still outweigh the minuses. "

White House spokesman Ari Fleischer rebuffed suggestions that public support was falling. "I think the American people actually have a very good center of gravity about the situation in Iraq," he told reporters.

Only 56 percent of respondents in the USA Today/CNN/Gallup released Monday said Iraq was worth going to war over, down from 73 percent in April.

The percentage of people expressing confidence US forces would find evidence of Iraq's banned weapons slipped to 55 percent from 84 percent earlier.

In the face of the mounting questions, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld this week denied that the United States was stuck in a guerrilla war in Iraq.

Bush vowed Wednesday that strikes on US-led forces in Iraq would not lead the United States to "leave prematurely".

"There are some who feel like that, you know, the conditions are such that they can attack us there. My answer is, bring 'em on!," he said at the White House. "We've got the force necessary to deal with the security situation."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Most Americans Believe Bush 'Stretched Truth' on Iraq [Re: Zahid]
    #1684809 - 07/03/03 09:49 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

if it's not a guerrila war, then what is it?

a jungle isn't a prerequisite or has no one
informed rumsfeld as such?

All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Most Americans Believe Bush 'Stretched Truth' on Iraq [Re: Zahid]
    #1684989 - 07/03/03 10:55 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

The tide turns.

Mark my words folks...................Bush is going down.

Mp3 of the month: The Loose Enz - The Black Door

Re: Most Americans Believe Bush 'Stretched Truth' on Iraq [Re: Learyfan]
    #1685009 - 07/03/03 11:04 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

You ever notice that most ( if not all ) presidents elected in a '0 year have died in office?

imo hes not down yet.. im pretty sure he'll even serve another term
oh well..

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion