Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineinfinitespiral
moel

Re: Ultimate Drying Thread - fan, desiccant, dehydrators, drying speed, potency loss? [Re: smokdatkush]
    #8786041 - 08/17/08 10:08 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

i took a box fan. mounted it to a five gallon bucket lid. cut slits or holes around bottom of the bucket (not the actual bottom but the side/bottom)  i epoxyed some little nobs inside the bucket to rest wire screen on as shelves.  and there we go.  a pretty good size fanning chamber.  i then also put them in a bucket half full of silica gel with a screen above that to further dry them.  and to store them i put in a jar with a silica gel bag in it.  i have mushies from 1999 that are still good.  real good.  hope that helps peace.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecosmictaco
The answer IS the question
 User Gallery

Loc: In a Ditch
Re: Ultimate Drying Thread - fan, desiccant, dehydrators, drying speed, potency loss? [Re: smokdatkush]
    #8786092 - 08/17/08 10:24 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

smokdatkush said:
Quote:

cosmictaco said:
my grandma used a food deydrater for the first time a couple days ago. Took about 8 hours for them to dry. Also she took a temp reading of the dehydrater, temps reached 120+.
Anyway, she triped balls off of 1.5 grams. she will continue to use it.

Whaaaaaaa? :rofl2:

Trippy Granny :shroomer:

I know dude, she is nuts. I am always trying to get her to settle down but she continues to ride her harley around town and cause trouble. We call her Hootin' Holly!!

--------------------
                Apple butter toast is nice,...

Offlinesmokdatkush
Hunter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cope-land
Re: Ultimate Drying Thread - fan, desiccant, dehydrators, drying speed, potency loss? [Re: cosmictaco]
    #8786106 - 08/17/08 10:29 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

cosmictaco said:
Quote:

smokdatkush said:
Quote:

cosmictaco said:
my grandma used a food deydrater for the first time a couple days ago. Took about 8 hours for them to dry. Also she took a temp reading of the dehydrater, temps reached 120+.
Anyway, she triped balls off of 1.5 grams. she will continue to use it.

Whaaaaaaa? :rofl2:

Trippy Granny :shroomer:

I know dude, she is nuts. I am always trying to get her to settle down but she continues to ride her harley around town and cause trouble. We call her Hootin' Holly!!

Dude that would be crazy  tripping with my grandmother.

but hell man thats dope.

--------------------

InvisibleJaComet
Old Hand

Loc: Out Yonder
    #8786763 - 08/17/08 01:13 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Freezer Drying : How to dry from fresh in a frost free freezer. Bigger specimen remains. No tanning on verities prone to do so with heat.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1264202/an/0/page/3

--------------------

InvisibleBrain Fart
Mushroom Nerd
 User Gallery

Loc: Your Mom Flag
    #8786960 - 08/17/08 02:06 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I just dried my 120g pick with a nestle food dehydrator set on about 125 degrees and pluged in for 2 hours.

Them baby's were drier then saltines and sent me on a wild wide!

--------------------

OfflineMr152
Stranger
Male

Re: Ultimate Drying Thread - fan, desiccant, dehydrators, drying speed, potency loss? [Re: ar393]
    #15831861 - 02/19/12 11:50 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I have a dehydrator that I simply installed a jumper to bypass the heating coils.  Apparently these were a critical part of the circuit and I promptly destroyed the fan motor in a loud pop.  Fortunately, I had a spare fan that even has neat blue LEDs.  It is now working just fine.

--------------------
Open your whole to the love of the universe.

Offlinemushies r sexy
Stranger

Re: Ultimate Drying Thread - fan, desiccant, dehydrators, drying speed, potency loss? [Re: Mr152]
    #15831917 - 02/19/12 12:06 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

what i like to do is out them under the air vent in my room they are  normally dry in about two days. I just tape a piece of paper so it is hanging under the vent and put them on it.

OfflineVCbCaEfG6yalzqLiQI
Stranger

Re: Ultimate Drying Thread - fan, desiccant, dehydrators, drying speed, potency loss? [Re: Mr152]
    #15831924 - 02/19/12 12:07 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I've dried other things in an electric oven set to the lowest temp it could get to (40-50c 100-120f) and leaving them overnight

yet I've heard of no one doing this here

whats the verdict on this?

does anyone know the activation energy of degredation of psilocybin? using the arrenhius equation we could easily work out the rate of degredation at different temperatures, and given an acceptable loss (say 5 or 10%) give an upper limit for drying times at temps....

InvisibleViruk
Stranger
Re: Ultimate Drying Thread - fan, desiccant, dehydrators, drying speed, potency loss? [Re: VCbCaEfG6yalzqLiQI] * 1
    #15832124 - 02/19/12 12:56 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Seriously guys, we were just over this, don't even use the search option just go back like 1 or 2 pages from the main page and you'll see drying threads.

YOU ALWAYS FUCKING SEE DRYING THREADS!!!

So for those of you who will listen. I dry at 140-150F in my DEHYDRATOR which DEHYDRATES by using a HEATER.

If you have a dehydrator you broke the heating element to, congratulations, you bought a $70 fan. Did you know fans are commonly as cheap as $10? And are even more powerful than a dehydrator fan?

DON'T DISABLE THE HEATING ELEMENT ON AN EXPENSIVE DEHYDRATOR MORONS

Do I get loss of potency? No.
Do I even get bluing? No.
Are people going to listen to me and dry below 160F with their dehydrators like everyone does, and has done for awhile now? No.
Are those people idiots who ask for help but won't listen to it? Yes.

TL;DR DEHYDRATORS WORK FINE

OfflineCoolTJ
Info junkie
Male

Loc: Norway
Re: Ultimate Drying Thread - fan, desiccant, dehydrators, drying speed, potency loss? [Re: Viruk]
    #15832196 - 02/19/12 01:13 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I always use a lot of big boxes those with clamps on to hold the
lid on tight, each big box filled with a lot of calcium chloride on
the bottom. Way above the calcium chloride I have chicken wire cut to
a perfect fit pushed down tight so I can hold a bit of weight.

And I lay down the mushrooms on the chicken wire spaced out so they
don't touch each other, the only problem I have is that this is not a
space efficient way to do it. So I can only dry about 500-600 grams
per box so I have to have a lot of boxes for drying a couple of kilo's from one flush.

- No air
- No heat

Cracker dry mushrooms in 7 day(s), and max potency in my opinion.
For example my cubensis cuba was 5.6% dry weight compared to fresh.

--------------------

InvisibleViruk
Stranger
Re: Ultimate Drying Thread - fan, desiccant, dehydrators, drying speed, potency loss? [Re: CoolTJ]
    #15832214 - 02/19/12 01:17 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

CoolTJ said:
I always use a lot of big boxes those with clamps on to hold the
lid on tight, each big box filled with a lot of calcium chloride on
the bottom. Way above the calcium chloride I have chicken wire cut to
a perfect fit pushed down tight so I can hold a bit of weight.

And I lay down the mushrooms on the chicken wire spaced out so they
don't touch each other, the only problem I have is that this is not a
space efficient way to do it. So I can only dry about 500-600 grams
per box so I have to have a lot of boxes for drying a couple of kilo's from one flush.

- No air
- No heat

Cracker dry mushrooms in 7 day(s), and max potency in my opinion.
For example my cubensis cuba was 5.6% dry weight compared to fresh.

Yes but mine are cracker dry in 12 hours tops.
Dessicants are a waste of time, good only for long term storage.
Also wooden boxes will let in moisture, allowing your mushrooms to rot, after dehydrating you have to seal them air tight.

OfflineCoolTJ
Info junkie
Male

Loc: Norway
Re: Ultimate Drying Thread - fan, desiccant, dehydrators, drying speed, potency loss? [Re: Viruk]
    #15832233 - 02/19/12 01:21 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I only use plastic boxes, and why do you want em to be dry in 12 hours?
I've never in that hurry to eat my mushrooms, and I seal em up in boxes
afterwards putting em in my freezer for long time storage.

I really do not see you point.

--------------------

InvisibleViruk
Stranger
Re: Ultimate Drying Thread - fan, desiccant, dehydrators, drying speed, potency loss? [Re: CoolTJ] * 1
    #15832483 - 02/19/12 02:14 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

CoolTJ said:
I only use plastic boxes, and why do you want em to be dry in 12 hours?
I've never in that hurry to eat my mushrooms, and I seal em up in boxes
afterwards putting em in my freezer for long time storage.

I really do not see you point.

My point is mine are dried and away in 12 hours, yours take longer, and time is money.

Wheres your point in taking a week to dry them? Huh? Do I want mushrooms lying around everywhere for a week? What about the next flush, where the fuck do I put that now that I take 14x longer to dry them than my previous method.

Basically your 600g you can dry at a time, I can dry 8400g in that time, probably more because they don't usually take more than 8 hours. Which would put me at 21x more drying capacity than you, or 12 600g.

So why again should I wait around a week to dry 12000g less?

OfflineGalaxie500
Rat Bastard
Male User Gallery

Loc: Down the road from Jesco
    #15832530 - 02/19/12 02:23 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I've used a fan, a space heater (the same technique as a fan), and a food dehydrator with only one temperature. Absolutely NO difference in potency, at all. The only difference is that with a fan and a heater it took 4x as long. Mine are also dry as a bone within 12 hours. Any sort of drying in open air stinks up the house like shrooms, not so with the dehydrator.

I've only used dessicants for storage (and I even do it then only 1 outta 4 times, probably). I didn't know what dry was until I dried using the dehydrator.

--------------------
Tact is for those who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic

InvisibleViruk
Stranger
Re: Ultimate Drying Thread - fan, desiccant, dehydrators, drying speed, potency loss? [Re: Galaxie500]
    #15834261 - 02/19/12 07:57 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Galaxie500 said:
I've used a fan, a space heater (the same technique as a fan), and a food dehydrator with only one temperature. Absolutely NO difference in potency, at all. The only difference is that with a fan and a heater it took 4x as long. Mine are also dry as a bone within 12 hours. Any sort of drying in open air stinks up the house like shrooms, not so with the dehydrator.

I've only used dessicants for storage (and I even do it then only 1 outta 4 times, probably). I didn't know what dry was until I dried using the dehydrator.

Exactly. Summed up perfectly.

OfflineBOAT
Stranger
Re: Ultimate Drying Thread - fan, desiccant, dehydrators, drying speed, potency loss? [Re: ofzeroconcern]
    #16845847 - 09/14/12 10:56 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Hi guys.  First post, just thought I'd contribute what I do.

So, fwiw, I put a room dehumidifier in a very small closet, with the mushrooms on top of a raised grate.  I place a small filtered fan directly in front of them, raised slightly, and turn it on blast.

Fan keeps the water wicking out of the mushrooms, and the small room dehumidifier nabs it out of the air. 

If I'm adamant about removing water from the dehumidifier, I can dry several pounds wet in 3-4 days.

The hygrometer in that room reads anywhere from nil to 10% humidity.  Once they're cracker dry, keeping em in that room keeps them good for a long time.  Can't specify how long, but long enough to eat them all or throw them off a bridge or whatever it is people do with them.

cheers

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale