Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Buy Kava Tea

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
OfflineAbsent Minded
 User Gallery

Loc: Way Down South Flag
A yerba mate/kava thread
    #16842520 - 09/13/12 06:37 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

My interest has recently been sparked in these two substances.
Can any of you shroomerites offer some information on them? First hand experiences of course, if I wanted general info I'd wiki them, which I already did.
What are they like? Proper preparation? Any reputable online vendors?
Any info at all would be appreciated.
Thanks guys.:biggrin:

--------------------

Beats
More Beats

sheekle: fuck peace love and unity
sheekle: death despair and misery
sheekle: is where it's at

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepfxtc
RUEXP?
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: A yerba mate/kava thread [Re: Absent Minded]
    #16842564 - 09/13/12 06:44 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

both useless garbage :shrug:

and yes i've tried all the 'teks' you dorks

don't judge me

there's better drugs you can get from 'reputable' vendors, do some research.

--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

OfflineAbsent Minded
 User Gallery

#16842591 - 09/13/12 06:48 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I'm not looking for RC's man. Just something to wind down the day with, or start the day with.
I've heard people talk about yerba making them close to full out high, or just a better stimulation that coffee, and for kava I've read either a mild relaxation or close to a MJ high.
Just curious what everyone has to say, if they've experienced them.

--------------------

Beats
More Beats

Offlinepfxtc
RUEXP?
 User Gallery

#16842601 - 09/13/12 06:50 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

i never tried yerba mate so i was just talking about my asshole, heard its horrible for your body
kava kava is worthless garbage. nothing like a MJ high. it's garbage
i have high tolerance though so fuck idk
last time I had kava kava i gave a pound of it away to a member on here for free cause i hated it so much

--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

OfflineAbsent Minded
 User Gallery

#16842620 - 09/13/12 06:55 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

lol, that bad? IDK I thought kava was the one that was bad for you when used often... at least I hope so, I remember looking at an old thread on here and a kid said he drank yerba every day!
anyone else?

--------------------

Beats
More Beats

Offlinelsderp
transient dimensionary

#16842640 - 09/13/12 07:01 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

love yerba mate. great subtle energy boost to start your day.
fucking LOVE kava. such a chill drink. really mellows you out. Obviously if you were expecting a cannabis high then you had your expectations too high. just appreciate it for what it is. I love it, and id say go for them both

--------------------
Am I really all the things that are outside of me?

Offlinepfxtc
RUEXP?
 User Gallery

#16842642 - 09/13/12 07:02 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

kava tastes like dirty water :lol:
the only thing it does it make your lips numb

--------------------

koods said:

Life-long trip report

Offlinelsderp
transient dimensionary

Re: A yerba mate/kava thread [Re: pfxtc]
    #16842658 - 09/13/12 07:06 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Kava gives me a nice mellow body buzz. try it for yourself and see how it effects you, it really does have pretty varied effects.
but yeah it tastes like ass, not going to lie

--------------------

OfflineAbsent Minded
 User Gallery

#16842667 - 09/13/12 07:08 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

cool, cool.
know of any decent places to order either online?

--------------------

Beats
More Beats

Offlinelsderp
transient dimensionary

#16842687 - 09/13/12 07:11 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

i get mine at a local health store, they have it with their bulk herbs. IF you have one of those try there, they tend to be pretty chill places and you can usually pick up a lot of awesome stuff ( like raw honey)

--------------------

OfflineAbsent Minded
 User Gallery

#16842698 - 09/13/12 07:14 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

ah haha nah I don't think I have any of them by me.

--------------------

Beats
More Beats

Offlinelsderp
transient dimensionary

#16842876 - 09/13/12 07:48 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

ah bummer. First time i drank kava kava i double brewed it and it was strong and nasty. tastes like clay and straw in liquid form. However i was literally couchlocked so it was probably worth it.
However i've never had any experiences quite like that since, now it usually just relaxes me and i can feel a slight body buzz.

--------------------

OfflineYheringaan
Male

#16843019 - 09/13/12 08:08 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I really enjoy kava. It is easy to grow and also extremely easy to extract the kavalactones. All you need is isopropanol, and an evaporation dish. I like making tea with St. Johns wort and kava to put me to sleep, but the pure kavalactones have an anesthetic effect for about thirty minutes if applied transdermally and works well for hurt/sore muscles and things of the like. I particularly like kava enhanced alcoholic beverages as well. It makes your mouth and throat numb after a few hours of drinking.

--------------------
Goin where the water, tastes like wine..

Invisible1EyeCries
Paper Weight
 User Gallery

Loc: Earth
Re: A yerba mate/kava thread [Re: Yheringaan]
    #16843455 - 09/13/12 09:10 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Yerba Mate isnt gonna get you "high" its like a super green tea/coffee like beverage.
It contains 3 stimulants, theobromine, theophylline, and caffeine. Mostly caffeine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yerba_mate

Pre bottled stuff at grocery stores is okay, not really the greatest. They add a bunch of weird stuff
One brand is called Guyaki. Its not too bad, they have a website - http://guayaki.com/

Theres also tea bags, they are decent since you can make it stronger and brew it yourself. One brand I would recommend is "Numi" http://www.numitea.com/
Personally I like the mate with green tea and lemon myrtle

For the best Yerba Mate you gotta find dry, loose tea, and make it in a french press, or buy a gourd http://yerbamateteagourd.com/

It has a real "earthy" taste to it, I like personally
I usually let the tea bags or fresh leaves steep for 5 mins, with water at about 180-195 F  (just before boil)
You can drink Mate hot or cold, add sugar, lemon juice, honey, dairy... whatever

Offlinepfxtc
RUEXP?
 User Gallery

Re: A yerba mate/kava thread [Re: 1EyeCries]
    #16843469 - 09/13/12 09:12 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

please keep aware of 'risks' from using yerba mate:

"POSSIBLE CANCER RISKS
While yerba mate has been reported to have anti-cancer benefits, it has also been shown to be a potential contributor to cancer. A study published in the July 2003 issue of the medical journal "Head and Neck" reports that drinking yerba mate is a risk factor in developing cancer of the upper intestinal tract, such as the mouth, throat and esophagus.
INCREASED BLOOD PRESSURE
One of the many compounds in yerba mate is caffeine, and according to the Mayo Clinic, it contains enough to significantly raise blood pressure and heart rate. Those who are on blood pressure medication or are sensitive to stimulants should avoid yerba mate.
POTENTIAL LIVER DISEASE
When yerba mate is consumed in large doses, it has been found to have adverse affects on the liver. In 1976, the "Journal of Clinical Pathology" released a report that showed that consuming large amounts of yerba mate over the course of a few years can lead to liver disease.
While yerba mate has both positive and negative documented effects, it is best to consult with your medical provider before consuming it, especially as a supplement. This is extremely important if you are on medication for any current medical condition."

--------------------

koods said:

Life-long trip report

Offlinesanchothestoner
Satan's Grandson
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Bucketheadland
    #16843492 - 09/13/12 09:15 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Yerba Mate is fucking delicious! I drink it quite a bit.  It's not really a high though, but it is a present physical sensation.  Just look up "buy yerba mate" and you'll find some sites...

You can get the best mate around from this site

http://www.yerbamate.us/

--------------------
I fucking hate you... God damn, I love you...
But we both know if we stick together, we'll just tear ourselves apart
You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy, when skies are grey
You are my heroin, but there's an abscess... God damn, I miss the vein!

Edited by sanchothestoner (09/13/12 09:17 PM)

Invisible1EyeCries
Paper Weight
 User Gallery

Re: A yerba mate/kava thread [Re: pfxtc] * 1
    #16843515 - 09/13/12 09:18 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

pfxtc said:

"POSSIBLE CANCER RISKS
While yerba mate has been reported to have anti-cancer benefits, it has also been shown to be a potential contributor to cancer. A study published in the July 2003 issue of the medical journal "Head and Neck" reports that drinking yerba mate is a risk factor in developing cancer of the upper intestinal tract, such as the mouth, throat and esophagus.
INCREASED BLOOD PRESSURE
One of the many compounds in yerba mate is caffeine, and according to the Mayo Clinic, it contains enough to significantly raise blood pressure and heart rate. Those who are on blood pressure medication or are sensitive to stimulants should avoid yerba mate.
POTENTIAL LIVER DISEASE
When yerba mate is consumed in large doses, it has been found to have adverse affects on the liver. In 1976, the "Journal of Clinical Pathology" released a report that showed that consuming large amounts of yerba mate over the course of a few years can lead to liver disease.
While yerba mate has both positive and negative documented effects, it is best to consult with your medical provider before consuming it, especially as a supplement. This is extremely important if you are on medication for any current medical condition."

Dude everything gives you cancer and is in some way bad for you :lol:

People of South America drink this stuff daily, as ritual/tradition. They sit in a circle and pass a gourd around like a joint.

A cup of tea every now and then isnt gonna kill ya :shrug:

Offlinepfxtc
RUEXP?
 User Gallery

#16843541 - 09/13/12 09:22 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

1EyeCries said:
Quote:

pfxtc said:

"POSSIBLE CANCER RISKS
INCREASED BLOOD PRESSURE
POTENTIAL LIVER DISEASE

People of South America drink this stuff daily, as ritual/tradition. They sit in a circle and pass a gourd around like a joint.

true enough, i'd be most concerned about liver disease though.

i don't know though, I've just heard a lot of bad things, maybe it was just all bullshit.

i havn't tried it personally, but kava kava is useless, and so is kratom, so I figure yerba mate is too. I have a high tolerance, and insanely fast metabolism, so most things people enjoy I don't feel at all.

--------------------

koods said:

Life-long trip report

Offlinesanchothestoner
Satan's Grandson
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Bucketheadland
    #16843567 - 09/13/12 09:25 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

1EyeCries said:
Quote:

pfxtc said:

"POSSIBLE CANCER RISKS
INCREASED BLOOD PRESSURE
POTENTIAL LIVER DISEASE

The studies they did for that were probably on animals and were extreme doses... just like the "marijuana kills brain cells" shit. 

It actually works as an anti-depressant for me as well.  It lifts my mood when it needs lifting. 

Yerba Mate(hot) + honey + lemon = awesome
Yerba Mate(cold) + tang = awesome

--------------------
I fucking hate you... God damn, I love you...
But we both know if we stick together, we'll just tear ourselves apart
You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy, when skies are grey
You are my heroin, but there's an abscess... God damn, I miss the vein!

Invisible1EyeCries
Paper Weight
 User Gallery

Re: A yerba mate/kava thread [Re: sanchothestoner]
    #16843611 - 09/13/12 09:30 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Well with bad there is good right?

Quote:

Lipid metabolism
Studies in animals and humans have observed hypocholesterolemic effects of Ilex paraguariensis aqueous extracts. A single-blind controlled trial of 102 volunteers found that after 40 days of drinking 330 mL / day of mate tea (concentration 50g dry leaves / L water), people with already-healthy cholesterol levels experienced an 8.7% reduction in LDL, and hyperlipidemic individuals experienced an 8.6% reduction in LDL and a 4.4% increase in HDL, on average. Participants already on statin therapy saw a 13.1% reduction in LDL and a 6.2% increase in HDL. The authors thus concluded that drinking yerba mate infusions may reduce the risk for cardiovascular diseases.[14]

I drink it periodically, When coffee or green tea just doesnt sound good.
It's a good way to break up the usual, and the stimulating effects are noticeable:biggrin:

OfflineAbsent Minded
 User Gallery

Re: A yerba mate/kava thread [Re: sanchothestoner]
    #16845147 - 09/14/12 07:37 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

1EyeCries said:
Yerba Mate isnt gonna get you "high" its like a super green tea/coffee like beverage.
It contains 3 stimulants, theobromine, theophylline, and caffeine. Mostly caffeine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yerba_mate

Pre bottled stuff at grocery stores is okay, not really the greatest. They add a bunch of weird stuff
One brand is called Guyaki. Its not too bad, they have a website - http://guayaki.com/

Theres also tea bags, they are decent since you can make it stronger and brew it yourself. One brand I would recommend is "Numi" http://www.numitea.com/
Personally I like the mate with green tea and lemon myrtle

For the best Yerba Mate you gotta find dry, loose tea, and make it in a french press, or buy a gourd http://yerbamateteagourd.com/

It has a real "earthy" taste to it, I like personally
I usually let the tea bags or fresh leaves steep for 5 mins, with water at about 180-195 F  (just before boil)
You can drink Mate hot or cold, add sugar, lemon juice, honey, dairy... whatever

cool, thanks.

Quote:

sanchothestoner said:
Yerba Mate is fucking delicious! I drink it quite a bit.  It's not really a high though, but it is a present physical sensation.  Just look up "buy yerba mate" and you'll find some sites...

You can get the best mate around from this site

http://www.yerbamate.us/

checking it out now. thanks.

Quote:

sanchothestoner said:

It actually works as an anti-depressant for me as well.  It lifts my mood when it needs lifting. 

Yerba Mate(hot) + honey + lemon = awesome
Yerba Mate(cold) + tang = awesome

tang as in the orange powder?
Both sound great.

--------------------

Beats
More Beats

OfflineApostle
Philanthropist
 User Gallery

Loc: FL Flag
    #16845225 - 09/14/12 08:10 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

yerba mate tastes great and i love it

OfflinelillFish
Daydreamer
Female User Gallery

Loc: Recliner Flag
Re: A yerba mate/kava thread [Re: Apostle]
    #16845260 - 09/14/12 08:27 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I like the smoky taste of yerba mate. I need to quit buying the shit in the cans because it's like $3.50. Too expensive for what it is.

--------------------
My Wish & Trade list

OfflineApostle
Philanthropist
 User Gallery

Re: A yerba mate/kava thread [Re: lillFish]
    #16845262 - 09/14/12 08:28 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

cans?

i dont even....

i buy it by the bag and its cheap

OfflinelillFish
Daydreamer
Female User Gallery

Loc: Recliner Flag
    #16845295 - 09/14/12 08:44 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Guayaki makes some flavored yerba mate in some 16oz cans. Mint, lemon, and berry. The mint is awesome.

--------------------
My Wish & Trade list

OfflineApostle
Philanthropist
 User Gallery

Re: A yerba mate/kava thread [Re: lillFish]
    #16845300 - 09/14/12 08:45 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

so is it like already prepared or do you still add hot water?

Offlinejw2234
Astral Traveler
Male

Loc: Bay Area Flag
    #16845488 - 09/14/12 09:43 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

oh yeah its already prepared, has enough caffeine in it to be about a cup of coffee in its effects, is made with a brew of yerba mate leaf and yerba mate extract, and tastes sooooo good. if you ever stumble upon it get revel berry, my favorite flavor. but any flavor will do you right. also the glass bottles made by guayaki are really good too, my favorite two are the unsweetened mate which is just the tea, and the yellow mate with sugar added. its all very good and made by a rather good company, guayaki, which name themselves after a tribe in south america that drinks yerba mate daily and sees it as a drink of the gods (yeah i read the back of the bottle, been drinking this stuff for a couple years now)

as for the op, get a gourd and bombeiia if youre trying to drink yerba mate. very cheap stuff and with the equipment its very easy to make traditional mate the way its drunk in ritual settings, you can even do the ritual with your friends! and the sensation is very grounding and energizing, it does feel like you are high although not on weed, even after three mate's, three gourds full of water. the taste is something to get used to but once you cross that stage it tastes good and you begin to really enjoy it. so see if its for you!

--------------------

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

there is nothing to fear with this chemical besides astonishing realization that everything IS indeed 1 entity

Questions

OfflineAbsent Minded
 User Gallery

#16845522 - 09/14/12 09:49 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

great, thanks for all the responses, guys.
Seeing as I'm broke as fuck and away at school with no income, would you consider the gourd a necessity? If I didn't get that, I assume you'd just drink it out of a normal coffee mug?

--------------------

Beats
More Beats

OfflineApostle
Philanthropist
 User Gallery

#16845536 - 09/14/12 09:52 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

gourds are cheap.

Go to a spanish supermarket, dont buy any touristy crap.

Theoretically you could improvise the gourd yes. whats more important is the metal sipping straw which filters out the physical particles.

I have Gourds i bought in Argentina and theyre like wood with metal accents and look like something out of lord of the rings :aweoverdose:

OfflineAcaterpillar
A little mad...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Down the rabbit hole
    #16845542 - 09/14/12 09:54 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

The gourd is not necessary, but it's convenient to use and makes you look cool :cool:

Take PFXTC's testimony with a grain of salt. Plenty of people are insensitive to changes in their perception and will not attest to any notable psychoactive effects until their perception is overwhelmed.

If you are able to appreciate the subtle nuances in your mind, then you will most likely enjoy Kava and Kratom.
Though, a major factor is the quality of product you receive.
Yerba Mate is not so subtle.

If you enjoy cannabis; consuming a small amount will act as a great potentiator for all of the mentioned herbs.

--------------------
Aaa...E I O Uuu...A E I O Uuu..A E I O uh Uuu..
*Cough* *Cough*
Ooo...U E I O Aaa...U E I Aaa..A E I O Uuuuu...

At first sight, The Perfection of Wisdom is bewildering, full of paradox and apparent irrationality.

OfflineApostle
Philanthropist
 User Gallery

Re: A yerba mate/kava thread [Re: Acaterpillar]
    #16845551 - 09/14/12 09:56 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

i think you have it backwards man, no offense.

Mate is a drink with no noticable effects other than a slight calming, not unlike tea.

kava and kratom have the potential to produce narcotic like effects, on the other hand .

OfflineAbsent Minded
 User Gallery

#16845559 - 09/14/12 09:58 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Hologram said:
gourds are cheap.

Go to a spanish supermarket, dont buy any touristy crap.

Theoretically you could improvise the gourd yes. whats more important is the metal sipping straw which filters out the physical particles.

I have Gourds i bought in Argentina and theyre like wood with metal accents and look like something out of lord of the rings :aweoverdose:

yeah, I was checking out the site that sancho recommended, and if I opt out of the gourd, I definitely will still need to buy the straw. But they're only like 6 bucks or so.

Quote:

Acaterpillar said:
The gourd is not necessary, but it's convenient to use and makes you look cool :cool:

Take PFXTC's testimony with a grain of salt. Plenty of people are insensitive to changes in their perception and will not attest to any notable psychoactive effects until their perception is overwhelmed.

If you are able to appreciate the subtle nuances in your mind, then you will most likely enjoy Kava and Kratom.
Though, a major factor is the quality of product you receive.
Yerba Mate is not so subtle.

If you enjoy cannabis; consuming a small amount will act as a great potentiator for all of the mentioned herbs.

great, much appreciated. and of course I do! Just got to wait till November to get done with probation before I can smoke again.:failboat:

--------------------

Beats
More Beats

OfflineAbsent Minded
 User Gallery

#16845569 - 09/14/12 09:59 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Hologram said:
i think you have it backwards man, no offense.

Mate is a drink with no noticable effects other than a slight calming, not unlike tea.

kava and kratom have the potential to produce narcotic like effects, on the other hand .

see this is why I made this thread, seems everyone has a different view. Some say yerba is a decent stimulant, others get relaxed from it. Some say kava is beat and useless, others get pronounced effects from it.
Only one way to find out...:bigjoint:

--------------------

Beats
More Beats

OfflineAcaterpillar
A little mad...
Male User Gallery

#16845574 - 09/14/12 09:59 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I rarely drink caffeine, so Yerba Mate makes me wired as hell.
I definitely wouldn't call it subtle; but if someone drinks coffee everyday they may not notice it.
I have certainly nodded out with Kratom, so it can be fairly overwhelming.
Though most people seem to complain from a lack of effects for whatever reason.
And I have yet to consume a considerable amount of kavalactones, so I can't attest to it's potent psychoactivity.

I'm more sensitive than most, so I usually err on the lesser side of things; so as not to disappoint.

--------------------
*Cough* *Cough*

At first sight, The Perfection of Wisdom is bewildering, full of paradox and apparent irrationality.

OfflineApostle
Philanthropist
 User Gallery

#16845575 - 09/14/12 10:00 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

wait till he chimes in, i think it may have been a wording issue

it is well known that kava and kratom are indeed active and worlds apart from tea or mate.

OfflineApostle
Philanthropist
 User Gallery

#16845588 - 09/14/12 10:02 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Acaterpillar said:
I definitely wouldn't call it subtle; but if someone drinks coffee everyday they may not notice it.
And I have yet to consume a considerable amount of kavalactones, so I can't attest to it's potent psychoactivity.

I'm more sensitive than most, so I usually err on the lesser side of things; so as not to disappoint.

yea, i agree with you

And i have a hugee coffee habit but still enjoy mate

i just found it odd that you would say mate was less subtle than the other two items.

:shrug:

OfflineAntiEverything
im not a doctor
Male

#16845589 - 09/14/12 10:03 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

i will attest to yerba mates effectiveness

that said, it isn't going to get you "high"

i prefer it to coffee/tea, tho

--------------------
You are at once
both
the quiet
and
the confusion
of my heart.
-Franz Kafka

OfflineAbsent Minded
 User Gallery

#16845643 - 09/14/12 10:13 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Acaterpillar said:

really? See my friend once took a LOT of kratom, and felt nothing except slight relaxation.
I used to drink more coffee than I'd care to admit, and have since switched to tea. Truthfully, I like the herbals more than anything, I don't appreciate black tea just yet, and though I can drink green tea, it's by no means my favorite. I usually buy a fruity or minty flavor by stash or celestial seasonings (currently sipping their sleepy time throat soother b/c I am sick as hell!:mad2:)
The herbals usually don't have any caffeine, though some varieties I buy do contain "matcha" which is just powdered green tea extract (don't know if I explained that properly), so I'm sure it's got a bit of caffeine, but not on tier with coffee. So I'm sure I'll feel the effects of mate.

--------------------

Beats
More Beats

Invisible1EyeCries
Paper Weight
 User Gallery

#16845652 - 09/14/12 10:16 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

lillFish said:
I like the smoky taste of yerba mate. I need to quit buying the shit in the cans because it's like $3.50. Too expensive for what it is.

Dude! that's why you need to find a kilo of loose leaves... its less than 5 bucks

ask about it at the supermarket, I was having the stuff pre ordered at wegmans.

The tea bags and pre-made stuff is way over priced

OfflineApostle
Philanthropist
 User Gallery

#16845656 - 09/14/12 10:16 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

kratom has a cross tolerance with opiates in my experience

also alkaloid content varies greatly from batch to batch (has nothing to do with "strains", thats a marketing technique)

the age of the plant dictates its alkaloid content

kratom is very enjoyable but can be hit or miss.

ive safely ingested well over twenty grams but the key is starting small and working up slow.

kratom od feels awful and like a deleriant/ bad trip

OfflineAbsent Minded
 User Gallery

#16845712 - 09/14/12 10:25 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

oh wow. that sounds awful haha. I really have no desire to do that. Seems rather complicated to get the effects desired, I'd rather just pick up a blue if I felt like having an opiate.

--------------------

Beats
More Beats

OfflineApostle
Philanthropist
 User Gallery

#16845740 - 09/14/12 10:30 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

its TAKES alot to get to that unpleasant point.

ive had some very enjoyable nods on kratom.

:shrug:

OfflineAcaterpillar
A little mad...
Male User Gallery

#16845754 - 09/14/12 10:32 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

A standard dose of kratom; if consumed with a considerable amount of cannabutter, can send you into a deeply relaxing nod. :wink:

Twenty grams would make me nauseous as hell. :puke:

Kratom with LSD makes the experience very delirious, and devoid of euphoria.

--------------------
*Cough* *Cough*

OfflineAbsent Minded
 User Gallery

#16845756 - 09/14/12 10:32 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

is it similar in feeling to an OC?

--------------------

Beats
More Beats

OfflineApostle
Philanthropist
 User Gallery

#16845757 - 09/14/12 10:33 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

yes.

if you get there, that is. but once there, it is very much like an OC or other opiates.

this is coming from a long time opiate abuser too

OfflineAcaterpillar
A little mad...
Male User Gallery

#16845764 - 09/14/12 10:34 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

The body high is somewhat comparable to oxycodone, however kratom could be said to be more psychedelic. As in more stimulating, like that electric buzz.
Kratom doesn't have the euphoria that true opiates tend to provide, in my experience.

--------------------
*Cough* *Cough*

OfflineAbsent Minded
 User Gallery

#16845834 - 09/14/12 10:53 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

interesting. I might have to check that out now too. haha.

--------------------

Beats
More Beats

OfflineApostle
Philanthropist
 User Gallery

#16861099 - 09/17/12 08:09 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

hmmm, interesting name and link...

OfflineAbsent Minded
 User Gallery

#16861128 - 09/17/12 08:21 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

yeah I didn't even want to comment haha. I was just going to let it die again.
Maybe I'll get some more replies now though.

--------------------

Beats
More Beats

OfflineDarwin23
INFJ
Male User Gallery

Loc: United States Flag
    #16861980 - 09/17/12 11:44 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Had yerba mate a few times. Didn't notice much from it. I don't have any experience with kava kava.

--------------------

Take a look at my journal

OfflineLloydChristmas
getting lost on purpose
Male User Gallery

Loc: atx Flag
    #16862145 - 09/17/12 12:20 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

This kava bar just opened not too far from me, going to check it out in the near future.  http://squarerut.com/

--------------------

OfflineAbsent Minded
 User Gallery

#16862206 - 09/17/12 12:34 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

^^^Seems interesting. Let us know how it is.

--------------------

Beats
More Beats

InvisibleShroomopotamus
Happy Mushrooming
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Funkotron
    #16862265 - 09/17/12 12:46 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Kava is the shit

--------------------
Live by the mushroom, die by the mushroom
:mushroom2::rainbowdrink:
This is a trap! A trap! You are all busted! Busted! You fools!
:twirlyface:

If a time comes where I fail to appear I've been abducted and I will miss you all
Please smile and pet puppies as often as possible
Be happy
Be nice
(<3);}

OfflineAlmond Flour
...get off my lawn!
Male

#16862268 - 09/17/12 12:47 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Yerba mate is an amazing plant, but i had to stop using it b/c of side effects.

Kava is pretty cool, and one of the most physically dibilitating substances i have ever taken in a high enough dosage

--------------------
Hippies and Liberals love Pope Francis, so why dont I quote him for you guys. "There is NO SALVATION outside the Catholic Church" :morningtoke:

OfflineAbsent Minded
 User Gallery

Re: A yerba mate/kava thread [Re: Almond Flour]
    #16862953 - 09/17/12 02:37 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Almond Flour said:

Kava is pretty cool, and one of the most physically dibilitating substances i have ever taken in a high enough dosage

what were the side effects?
also, explain the kava experiences more!

--------------------

Beats
More Beats

OfflineGEncore
Authentic
Male

Loc: Buenos Aires Flag
    #16862979 - 09/17/12 02:40 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Yerba Mate is extremely common where i live (Argentina). everyone drinks it. It's not a drink per se and it's not really much of a drug either, it's pretty much a healthier version of a coffee or a cigarette (or a combination of both actually). its a nice energy boost and pleasant to drink (just like cigarettes, the "bombilla" you suck on to drink it acts as an oral fixation reliever). It's nothing special IMO, nothing to really get excited about but i'd give it a try.

you can also make it quite tastier by adding shit - i recommend sugar and dry orange peels. delicious

InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: A yerba mate/kava thread [Re: GEncore]
    #16863047 - 09/17/12 02:54 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

i bought a big package of dried mate tea leaves and its just "meh". friend suggested it instead of coffee and im not feeling any energy boosts, which is a placebo effect anyway. i add lots of sugar to a boiled pot of mate and its just an alternative to another flavour of tea.

--------------------

OfflineGEncore
Authentic
Male

Re: A yerba mate/kava thread [Re: Bridgeburner]
    #16863147 - 09/17/12 03:12 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

drinking it like tea is not the same though. you gotta do it proper, like this

Offlinejw2234
Astral Traveler
Male

Loc: Bay Area Flag
    #16863416 - 09/17/12 03:51 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

most definitely you have to do it proper to get the proper effects. whenever i do a tea I don't get enough caffeine/stimulant, and tea bagged yerba mate?? thats a joke. No, either get a cup or a gourd and a filtered straw. I like the gourd and you can get them sometimes at whole foods and other health stores. I got my first at an argentinian deli, no joke. it was tight.

--------------------

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

there is nothing to fear with this chemical besides astonishing realization that everything IS indeed 1 entity

Questions

OfflineAlmond Flour
...get off my lawn!
Male

#16863519 - 09/17/12 04:09 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Almond Flour said:

I was drinking MASSIVE amounts of Yerba mate a day. Im talking giant ass gourds half filled with plant matter, constantly refilled, day after day. I was getting pretty unhinged mentally, but physically I began to experiance bad stomach pains. I had to go get my liver checked and everything, including an endoscopy, and ultrasound to see wtf was wrong with me. I could only eat cherios and everything else would make me vomit. I stopped drinking Yerba Mate and have been fine ever since :shrug:

As for Kava, I decided to drink the entire ground root instead of preparing it the traditional way. NOTHING, no psychedelic, pill, not even alcohol had provided me with such a dibilitating body load in my life. Im amazed I didnt get hurt or a DUI riding my bycicle down the road because it must have been funny as shit watching me try to do it. Very relaxing stuff though in moderate amounts. Even the pope drank some when he visited the islanders :themoreyouknow:

--------------------
Hippies and Liberals love Pope Francis, so why dont I quote him for you guys. "There is NO SALVATION outside the Catholic Church" :morningtoke:

Edited by Almond Flour (09/17/12 04:10 PM)

InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #16863570 - 09/17/12 04:18 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

GEncore said:

what does that add?

--------------------

OfflineAlmond Flour
...get off my lawn!
Male

#16863576 - 09/17/12 04:19 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

b0red5tiff said:
Quote:

GEncore said:

what does that add?

More yerba mate, taste, style :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleShroomopotamus
Happy Mushrooming
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Funkotron
    #16863611 - 09/17/12 04:26 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Almond Flour said:
Quote:

b0red5tiff said:
Quote:

GEncore said:

what does that add?

then you smoke that shit when your done drinkin it :realpacman:

--------------------
Live by the mushroom, die by the mushroom
:mushroom2::rainbowdrink:
This is a trap! A trap! You are all busted! Busted! You fools!
:twirlyface:

If a time comes where I fail to appear I've been abducted and I will miss you all
Please smile and pet puppies as often as possible
Be happy
Be nice
(<3);}

InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #16863782 - 09/17/12 04:54 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Almond Flour said:
Quote:

b0red5tiff said:
Quote:

GEncore said:

what does that add?

how? just looks like a fancy way of drinking tea.

--------------------

InvisibleInfinitys Minute
a universe inside each moment
I'm a teapot

Loc: Zion
x [Re: Bridgeburner]
    #16863821 - 09/17/12 04:58 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

x

--------------------
All my posts are completely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only, images I use, post or reference on this account are sourced from the internet and are not my own.

Edited by Infinitys Minute (10/08/16 04:08 AM)

OfflineAlmond Flour
...get off my lawn!
Male

#16863822 - 09/17/12 04:58 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Well you are getting more herb in a really concentrated amount. Folks in south America say the gourd itself helps the taste, and some of the mold that may start to grow can add to the flavor as well. Not to mention the gourd " remembers " the blend of herbs you throw in with the mate as well giving it a unique essense. And you look cool while drinking it, plus you just add more hot water to make another cup or so.

--------------------

OfflineConnoisseur

#16863824 - 09/17/12 04:58 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

yerba mate = coffee alternative
kava kava = benzo/alcohol alternative

THE END

OfflineAlmond Flour
...get off my lawn!
Male

Re: A yerba mate/kava thread [Re: Connoisseur]
    #16863832 - 09/17/12 04:59 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Its nowhere near that black and white. Nice try though :smirk:

--------------------

OfflineConnoisseur

#16863844 - 09/17/12 05:02 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

IME its what there best used for

OfflineGEncore
Authentic
Male

Re: A yerba mate/kava thread [Re: Connoisseur]
    #16863887 - 09/17/12 05:12 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

No it's not that black and white but if you want physical effects drinking tea definitely doesn't cut it. Also again, you're sucking on a stick. smokers should know that feels inexplicably good

OfflineAbsent Minded
 User Gallery

#16865537 - 09/17/12 09:19 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

thanks again to everyone for all the help/insight.
I'd +5 ya'll if I wasn't too lazy.
It's appreciated.

--------------------

Beats
More Beats

OfflineApostle
Philanthropist
 User Gallery

#16867491 - 09/18/12 08:40 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

b0red5tiff said:
Quote:

Almond Flour said:
Quote:

b0red5tiff said:
Quote:

GEncore said:

what does that add?

how? just looks like a fancy way of drinking tea.

Its far from that.

its tastes nothing like tea and that method is for fresh taste.  THe herbs are un touched and then u add water...the metal filters the particle and the taste is like nothing else.

the gourd and metal straw definately make a difference. it is nothing like tea.

Also, there are so many epic Gourds, that one is pretty basic.

the way they cure the inside serves a purpose as well.

Pro tip, if you bought a new gourd makes sure it has been prepped for usage first. its a simple process, which may not be necessary, and ill look into it if you are genuinely interested.

OfflineIma TrooperS
Chilldog Extraordinaire
Male User Gallery

Loc: United States
Re: A yerba mate/kava thread [Re: pfxtc]
    #16867511 - 09/18/12 08:46 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

pfxtc said:
i never tried yerba mate so i was just talking about my asshole, heard its horrible for your body
kava kava is worthless garbage. nothing like a MJ high. it's garbage
i have high tolerance though so fuck idk
last time I had kava kava i gave a pound of it away to a member on here for free cause i hated it so much

Hey, that was me. I tried it and got nothing except for a headache and slight unco-ordination. Its still sitting in my cabinet. :lol:

Yerba Mate definitely has stimulant effects though, I think it feels a little "cleaner" than a cup of coffee, but otherwise pretty similar. I would imagine its best used for people who don't like coffee, or who want to switch it up in the mornings.

--------------------
"Its moving of its own accord...and I like that in a shirt!" - Me, tripping.

deCypher said:
Schizophrenia beats dining alone, you know.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Buy Kava Tea