Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Calling all experts!!
    #1682193 - 07/03/03 12:33 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, so I posted on behalf of my kitten a few days ago on the Cultivation forum how two or three of her jars has something weird going on, but I need as close to a definate answer as possible because not knowing is driving my kitten crazy!!  :confused:

There seems to be some growing action happening in the jars, but it is a grayish color.  In fact, it is all throughout the jars, there is no area in the jars that is not this grayish color.  At first she just thought it was the substrate but it definately doesn't look like that now.  It has covered alot of the substrate with a thick light grayness. 

I have no idea what it is, and neither does my kitten.  It seemed too dense to be cobweb (these jars are much heavier then the normal colonizing ones) but I took off the lid and smelled it anyway.  It had a sort of sickly-sweet smell that actually was sort of pleasent.

Anyway, does anyone have any idea what this is??  Its not slimy looking at all, it just looks thick and grayish.  As I said, this jars that are afflicted are significantly heavier then the other 'normal' ones. 

Should I wait it out and see what happens?  What do you think this is?  Have you ever seen this before?  What caused it? 

Thanks so so much for any help you can give my kitten to relieve her from this newbie madness.  :blush:

-Shade

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: Calling all experts!! [Re: MOTH]
    #1682288 - 07/03/03 12:53 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I have no idea what it is but it's something nasty for sure - toss it quickly. You probably made the substrate too wet, thats why these jars are heavier.

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
    #1682688 - 07/03/03 03:33 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Sounds like cobweb to me. The smell gives the cobweb away to me.

If not the true cobweb, it is regardless a fungal contamination making the jars unsalvagable.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: Calling all experts!! [Re: Joshua]
    #1682717 - 07/03/03 03:59 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Well, my kitten gave in and took the jar out to the kitchen to dump into the sink and see what the hell is wrong with it.

It was weird...it was almost as if the BRF had turned into a dough-like substance.

Her guess was that these few jars had too much water, which was later proven by the substrate leaving a humongous wet patch on the paper towel she had dumped it on.

So it looks like she is going to lose 3 jars do to being too wet, but thats why she made extra just in case something like this happened. Will wet jars not colonize at *all* or is there still a chance for the other two?

Thanks

-Shade

Anonymous

#1682826 - 07/03/03 05:14 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

If you have a dough-like substance, that probably means you either have bacteria, or you simply added too much water.

I hope you disposed of contaminated jars properly!

And yes, I agree with Joshua... sounds like cobweb.

Wet jars will colonize... but if they are too wet (water pooling at the bottom), that area will never colonize, and probably harbor bacteria.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder