Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Help me identify these mushrooms. (PICS)
    #1670500 - 06/28/03 11:19 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Sorry, I am having to use my shitty camera, I left my other one at a friends, so the pics aren't as good as they could be. This is also my first time typing an indentification, so please bear with me.

I found these growing in my friends yard in St. Augustine grass. No mycelium visible. East Texas, halfway between Houston and Lousiana, very near the coast (less than 15 miles), very very near a river, marshland area (500 yards).

They were both found out in the middle of the grass.
No where near trees or anything else.
Soil was sandy for the red one.
Soil was very rich top soil for the brown one.
The first ones I found were this red variety.

Red cap 1.8 centimeters across, .5 centimeters tall
Shape -- convex-flat on bottom
Texture -- TOP - moist, velvety look on top
BOTTOM - very moist, fleshy, no appearance of gills,
Color -- TOP - was a bright red, similar to bright red rose, changed to deep dark red, nearly dark red rose color
BOTTOM -- bright yellow, changed to brown yellow
Odor -- mushroomy, radishy

Stem -- 5 centimeters long, .5 centimeters wide
white with an anodized red tint to it, solid, very fibrous, strongly attached to the cap

Gills -- dark brown
subdistant, they are very easy to individually distinguish, but maybe using the wrong term

This picture is a little deceiving, the gills were not flat across, they followed the bell shape in side of the cap, up to the top where the stem attached

Stem -- 7-8 centimeters long, .2 centimers wide
very thin (shrivled up to nothing) light olive color, closer to white, guessing it was hollow

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Edited by HagbardCeline (06/29/03 12:09 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Help me identify these mushrooms. [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #1670645 - 06/29/03 12:35 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

You have some sporeprints? That would aid in the identification.

The first could be some sort of Boletus. However, I cannot make out the pores on the underside. How big are the pores? Very fine, or are they about a millimeter in diameter? Sporeprint would help in this one. Also, the stem looks a little long and skinny to be a Boletus as well.

The second mushroom looks extremely like a Panaeolus species... The shape looks like a campanulatus, but the habitat does not match. If it was growing in grass, I would say foeniescii. Sporeprint would also aid in the identification of this as well.

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

Re: Help me identify these mushrooms. [Re: angryshroom]
    #1670661 - 06/29/03 12:40 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I tried to get spore prints but neither of them left one. I think the problem was they were in my backpack until I got home to the camera, and had suffered some damage and drying in transport.

The pores on the red one were very fine, so fine you could not even see them.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1670682 - 06/29/03 12:48 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

The brown one, was it growing from grass as well?

What was the texture of the first mushroom? Slimey, dry,...?

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

#1670689 - 06/29/03 12:52 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Well it was growing in the middle of the grass. I was from the soil. I'm sure that is what you probably meant, I just wanted to clarify.

The red one, looked wet, and the bottom felt wet and clammy, but the top had a velvety look on top. But felt very smooth to the touch. It has a definate radishy smell too.

--------------------

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

#1670698 - 06/29/03 12:55 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

A couple of more pics of the brown one.

--------------------

Offlinebugabuga420
bUgAbUgaBOO

#1670742 - 06/29/03 01:23 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

The LBM is a Pan. foeniescii in my opinion. I dont think its a Pan. campanulatus for two reasons: This mushroom was found in grass and campanulatus grows mostly in pastures. The next is that campanulatus viel tends to break in to "toothlike remnants" when it tears from the stem. The Pan foens also tend to have have lighter spore prints than the rest of panaeolus genus.

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1670760 - 06/29/03 01:32 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I was going to post saying that the last picture of the brown mushroom makes me decide that it is 100%, without a dout a Panaeolus foenisecii.

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1670764 - 06/29/03 01:32 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

... and I did! :wink: :laugh:

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

#1670780 - 06/29/03 01:50 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I looked up some pics of Panaeolus foenisecii and would say that what they looked like.

What about this red fellow?

Are they both poisonous?

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1671095 - 06/29/03 08:15 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

The first one is a bolete, and the photos show that it bruises blue. The main question is how quickly does it bruise? Since it's not fresh, testing it now may not be reliable.

As a general rule, blue bruising boletes should be treated as if poisonous. Not all of them are, but all the poisonous boletes bruise blue, have red or orange tubes or tube mouths, or both.

Overall, your bolete resembles Boletus sensibilis, which is poisonous.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Anonymous

#1671147 - 06/29/03 09:10 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

Re: Help me identify these mushrooms. [Re: ]
    #1671366 - 06/29/03 11:48 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Interesting. Is it possible that either of these are psychoactive?
After reading about these and trying to indentify them myself, I may have been incorrect in saying they were not near trees or anything. They were in the middle of the yard, but trees were present.

The red ones were approximately 20-25 feet from the base of an oak tree. But still under the limbs. And there were no exposed roots.
The brown ones were approx. 20 feet from a pine tree and also still under the canopy of the limbs.

I usually go every out there every weekend and they have been getting alot of rain. Next time I will take my good camera and go searching for more. I will get pics of them in there habitat and after I pic them.

Another question I have had is how long after I pick them do I record the results the changed to. (ie. color, blueing, bruising)
Is there anything else I should have done to make indentifiction easier? Well I know a sporeprint. I should have immediately went and got something to get one on, but wasn't thinking. I will certainly do that next time.

--------------------

Anonymous

#1679481 - 07/02/03 07:05 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflinemycoTina
madcapadventuress

Loc: GA
Re: Help me identify these mushrooms. [Re: ]
    #1680741 - 07/02/03 03:33 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

The red and yellow one looks like a Boletus bicolor. They grow in my backyard. =)

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Help me identify these mushrooms. [Re: mycoTina]
    #1680774 - 07/02/03 03:42 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

key phrase, "looks like"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies