Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDiMiTriSouljah
No left turn unstoned
 User Gallery

Loc: ked in a Skin Pinata
Wisconsin Hunting
    #1678811 - 07/02/03 03:19 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Hello everyone. I have been haunting The Shroomery for a little while now and have been soaking up as much information as I can before posting here. I've learned an incredible amount from the archives and mushroom veterans that contribute to these very forums and I would like to first thank everyone for putting together this tremendous resource. However, I still have found very little information about mushroom hunting in Wisconsin.

I know that the species that is supposed to grow the most prolifically here is Psilocybe azurescens. Now I have a few questions: First of all, does anyone know the distribution of these mushrooms? As they are an introduced species I was just wondering if they are centralized in a specific area, or if they have successfully adapted and cover a large portion of Wisconsin?

Secondly, does anyone know of any other entheogenic species that grow in Wisconsin (southwestern, to be specific)?

Lastly, I've read that P. azurescens are a cold-weather species and generally fruit in late September to December. However, by December, Wisconsin is usually covered in about a half foot of snow. So I was wondering what a prime time to go hunting would be?

Thank you very much for your time.

-Mark

--------------------
In the end, my friend, we will all be together again.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMalformed
Nook.org Admin

Re: Wisconsin Hunting [Re: DiMiTriSouljah]
    #1678822 - 07/02/03 03:22 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

good question, i am currently in east/central wisconsin and one of these days id like to get out and find some wild mushrooms.

but, no clue when to look... or even where.

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
    #1678923 - 07/02/03 03:53 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

>I know that the species that is supposed to grow the most prolifically here is Psilocybe azurescens

That is completely wrong. I'm not sure where you read/heard that, but they do NOT grow in Wisconson. They grow only in Oregon and parts of Washington near the coast in the fall/winter. No dice on the azures man.

You're stuck hunting for the weak Panaeolus subbalteatus.

OfflineDiMiTriSouljah
No left turn unstoned
 User Gallery

#1678956 - 07/02/03 04:06 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Sorry, I forgot to include cites on that post. I got the information for the P. azurescens from 'Mapping the Mycelial Network' by Allen, Gartz, Guzman. In retrospect though, I suppose that they mean that azures will grow in these climates as well, if introduced, and not that they were introduced and became successful in the surrounding environment.

This species has been successfully transplanted into other mulched areas with similar environments. Most recently it has been introduced into Leipzig, Germany with much success. Other cosmopolitan outdoor habitats include: Italy, Austria, Switzerland and in the United States: in New Mexico, Ohio, Wisconsin and Vermont. While this is a good mushroom to transplant, after a few years the patch disappears as the nutrients in the soil and woodchips get eaten up. --from http://mushroomjohn.com/species21.htm

Sorry about the mix-up...time to go check up on those Panaeolus subbalteatus'. Thanks GumbyDude.

-Mark

--------------------

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #1680000 - 07/02/03 12:07 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I do not believe that the pab subb grows this far north. You'll have better luck looking for edibles in WIsconsin

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
Re: Wisconsin Hunting [Re: YidakiMan]
    #1680004 - 07/02/03 12:11 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I don't care what the books say, I'd be searching all those damn dairy farms up there for some Ps. semilanceata(liberty caps). Also keep an eye out for Ps. silvatica, Ps. quebecensis, and Ps. caerulipes.

LK,

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Wisconsin Hunting [Re: YidakiMan]
    #1680036 - 07/02/03 12:28 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

To Yidak Man,
pan Subbalteatus also have been collected and reported form Alaska so they do grow that far north. They have also been found in Iceland.

mj

Yes check out farms for liberty caps. I do know that I do not find a lot on dairy farms here in the PNW but in other regular grazing lands they are pretty common but not in every field either.

mj

Good luck to the poser of this box.

OfflineAllYourBase
Killer

Re: Wisconsin Hunting [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1689216 - 07/06/03 01:49 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

i live in milwaukee, wisconsin and it is july and i have been going in forrests since april this year, shroom hunting and i can't find girdled panaeolus anywhere yet, but i am finding many others that i have identified with my shroom book, none magickal...the book says they are "common enough to be considered a weed"....yeah the shroomery says that azures grow here, but not naturally...i would look for panthers, they are rare in the north,but have been found.
the lawn mower's mushroom grows here, and i have found some, but i have never bothered with eating them, they are rarely reported to be a weak hallucinogenic
good luck and if i find anything out here, i'll let you know

PS do the dung-loving psilocybe grow in wis?

Edited by AllYourBase (07/06/03 01:52 AM)

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1689396 - 07/06/03 03:53 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

MJ, does your book state that Azures grow in Wisconsin? Maybe you could clear that up a little bit for the user who read your book and makes these assumptions.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Wisconsin Hunting [Re: angryshroom]
    #1689443 - 07/06/03 04:33 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Psul Stamets started these listings of friends of his who successfully transplanted patches of azures in Wisconsin, New York, Ohio, Arizona, several European countries, etc. These were people who bought mycelium or collected mycelium and mulch in Oreogon and then transpalantred it into similar environments in peoples back yards in places other then were they would normally grow. After a few years these patches disappeared and there were no subsequent reports of these shrooms having spread to other areas in said new locations.

Guzm?, against my wishes placed those references from paul Stamets "Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World" into out list of Worldwide Distribution of the Species. And the journal Anali Di Civ. Mus. Rovereto, Italia never sent either of uus a galley proof to re-edit before publication which took three years after submitting it tot he journal.

No the azures will not be found in the wild in Wisconsin or any other place basically out side of Hammond or Astoria, ORegon or th along the Oregon Coast where they are prolific.

mj

OfflineAllYourBase
Killer

#1690211 - 07/06/03 03:43 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

thanks for clearing that up, now at least i know what i'm looking for, but too bad only one kind grows here...has anyone ever found any girdled panaeolus themselves?

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Wisconsin Hunting [Re: AllYourBase]
    #1690448 - 07/06/03 05:17 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Actually subbalteatus means "somewhat belted."

mj

OfflineAllYourBase
Killer

#1690519 - 07/06/03 05:44 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

that makes sense, since they always have a colored belt around the edge of the cap...mj do you have any pictures/info on where they grow?  the only resource I have for it is this book I have

:smile:

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #1690672 - 07/06/03 06:55 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

In the northern hemisphere from After the snow melts until the hot summer months and then again after the fall rains. In hay compost heaps at riding stables and racetracks would be the best place to look. Mj. But still check as many pasteures as you can after the fall rains began. There could be librty caps there. Its just that no one in Wisconsin ever goes to look for them. Hell Camel was form Wisconsin and he was ont he shroomery every day but then he never would go look for them.

mj

OfflineAllYourBase
Killer

#1691041 - 07/06/03 09:41 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

liberty caps grow here in wis? can i find them in the forrest? can i find girldled panaolus in the forrest?

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
    #1691087 - 07/06/03 09:57 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

he just told you where to look, listen well grasshopper

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

OfflineDiMiTriSouljah
No left turn unstoned
 User Gallery

Re: Wisconsin Hunting [Re: gdman]
    #1695234 - 07/08/03 02:54 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Has anyone found any actives yet in Wisconsin? If so, would you please post pictures (if possible) and/or species? Thanks in advance.

--------------------

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
    #1695243 - 07/08/03 02:59 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

My guess is probably not seeing how this is the SECOND time someone's asked that question in this thread.

OfflineSnobrdr311
outdoorenthusiast
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: Wisconsin Hunting [Re: Gumby]
    #1701501 - 07/10/03 02:17 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

LOL! Gumby you crack my shit up.

OfflineJudas
taxidermist

Loc: Iowa
    #1708883 - 07/12/03 05:50 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Hey there, I live in the South west corner of Wisconsin and I spend a good deal of time in the woods observing mushrooms in their natural habitat.  The climate and geography of my area is not similar to that of the rest of the state though because I live in a small area that was untouched by the glaciers and is full of tall bluffs, limestone dropoffs, winding streams and so on.  I also would like to add that the Mississipi river flows directly through my neck of the woods.  Having said that, I have collected serveral species of mushrooms here which are rumored to be of a psychedelic nature these are 1) The Witch's Cap Mushroom
2)The most common variety so far Gymnopilus Spectabilis (Big Laughing Gyms)
3) and some supected pan subbs
4)Amanita Muscaria
Well there it is, you are going to have to look long and hard to find any of these and you are better off going to a Summer festival if you just want to trip.  There is always large quantities of hallucinogenic drugs a t these events.  Do a keyword on Geneva Minnesota Festivals :smile:.  You could proabably bring some home with you even if you bring enough cash with but watch out for the fuzz cause they are there 2! Better yet start your own fungus garden get some aruzescens going they will get you off (more than almost any other variety), its really easy to grow them in this area.  Good luck in your mushroom huntings in Wisconsin there is so much beauty in these woods for real man and the edibles are choice! MOrels, Chanterrlles, puffballs, etc. !!! Another cool thing about Wisconsin shroomies ---you see those big shelf mushrooms on the trees? those are shelf mushroom and you can scratch artwork into the side of them with a pencil---THIS IS SO AWESOME.  Make decorations for your TV stand and then make somefor all your friends they will love it  dude. Have fun in the woods and take your time out there cause there si so much to see !!! Peace and Happiness

--------------------
"Better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not".
Phlogiston Verdigris

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification