Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Update, New Pics on the suspected Boletus
    #1675386 - 06/30/03 09:58 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Ok, this a follow up to  this thread. 

Some more pics of the suspected Boletus.  I found many more this time around.  Still no more of the brown ones. :frown:  And I still had my shitty camera at the time, but I did the best I could.

They were all in very moist soil, in areas that received little to no direct sunlight.  Very shaded.
I also tried another spore print, but while it sat, I went swimming and it started raining. I know I shouldn't have been doing this outside, but it was nice.  I got to it ASAP, and saw just enough to make me say that it was yellow, to white spores.

This one was the best formed one I found.  Now I see the pores that were spoken of.

Immediately after picking and separating from stem.

Less than 5 minutes after separation.

Around 7 to 8 minutes after separation.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Update, New Pics on the suspected Boletus [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #1675466 - 06/30/03 10:28 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I'm not aware of any boletes with white or yellow spore prints. There are some with yellowish brown ones. You'll need to actually take to time to do a spore print to find out. The last boletes I did prints of produced pretty good prints in about an hour. Make sure it's protected from air currents.

For the bruising, cut the mushroom in half vertically. Then scrape the inside with your knife edge to bruise it (you can skip that if it's already turned blue). What you're looking for is if it bruises blue instantly or if it takes at least several seconds (generally less than 30 seconds). You should also note if bruising occurs in some areas but not others.

Another important feature to note when identifying boletes is to look and see if the stalk (especially near the top) is reticulate. Reticulum is Latin for net. What you're looking for is that the surface looks kind of like there's a very fine net on the surface. This photo shows an example of this, although it's not always that easy to see.

Finally , take a small piece of flesh form the cap (smaller than a fingernail), and put it in your mouth, chew it a little, then spit it out (do not swallow it). You're looking for a bitter or peppery taste (most of them have a mild or somewhat nut-like taste).

Let us know.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

Re: Update, New Pics on the suspected Boletus [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1675496 - 06/30/03 10:38 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I did break one of the stems in half and it bruised/blued immediately. (I know its not the same thing, but I will know next time)

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Anonymous

#1675507 - 06/30/03 10:41 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

#1675508 - 06/30/03 10:41 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

And when you say small piece, smaller than the size of a fingernail, do you mean a fingernail clipping, or the one still currently attached to my finger? :crazy: 

--------------------

Anonymous

#1675514 - 06/30/03 10:42 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1676639 - 07/01/03 10:39 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

As far as a clipping goes, that would depend on how long you let your nails get befor you clip them. :grin: I use a piece smaller than my smallest fingernail (still attached). If you'd like that in a rule form: use the smallest piece of mushroom you'll be able to get a taste from.

Happy mushrooming! 

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflinemycoTina
madcapadventuress

Loc: GA
    #1677043 - 07/01/03 01:19 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Looks like a Boletus bicolor. Those grow in my backyard. They get huge!

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Update, New Pics on the suspected Boletus [Re: mycoTina]
    #1677050 - 07/01/03 01:21 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Looks can be deceiving,... especially with boletus bicolor

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1677119 - 07/01/03 01:58 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Since you say it bruised immediately when you broke it, I would avoid eating them. Boletus bicolor takes typically several minutes to turn blue. The very similar looking Boletus sensibilis bruises blue instantly, and it is poisonous.

Not that I necessarily thought you were going to rush out and eat them. More that I wanted to point out that the instantaneous bluing seems to be a bad sign for edibility.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags