Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
Re: this guy makes people trip with "complex magnetic fields [Re: trypyamine]
    #1675686 - 06/30/03 11:54 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I did a Google search on this Laurance Johnston guy who was supposed to have researched voltage given off by the hands of healers, but I didn't find any references to his experiments. The closest I got was an article by Johnston himself, here, where he writes:

Quote:

The body's cumulative electrical potential can be immense. Researchers have shown that spiritual healers' hands can emit over 200 volts; non-healers produced no more than 4 volts.

So he obviously didn't do the research himself, unless he likes to talk about himself in the third person, and he presents no references to who made these measurements.

A few minutes ago I tried measuring my own hand voltage by taking my old analog voltmeter and holding one lead in each hand, and then both leads in one hand. I tried both DC and AC settings. There was no reaction whatsoever, the needle didn't move at all. Any voltage higher than 0.05 volts would have been clearly visible. And this is a first-hand observation (no pun intended), not hearsay.

An electric eel can produce about 600 volts. The alleged 200 volts from healers is only a factor three lower than that, it shouldn't be difficult to measure.

Now Johnston might have been talking about something else like very high frequency fields, even though he didn't say that. My voltmeter probably doesn't respond at all to AC beyond 1 kHz. A microwave oven will easily produce a couple of thousand volts per meter at 2.45 GHz, and infrared and visible light from the sun has a field strength of several hundred thousands of volts per meter. But since the waves are incoherent, there is no way to get more than a fraction of a volt between any two points in the field.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
Re: this guy makes people trip with "complex magnetic fields [Re: Rhizoid]
    #1676769 - 07/01/03 11:35 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

if you lick your skin you'll get a 'lil reading.

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
Re: this guy makes people trip with "complex magnetic fields [Re: Malachi]
    #1676981 - 07/01/03 12:52 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, I tried it again and now I got about 0.01 volts after licking my skin. Then I turned off the lamp that was over my head, and the voltage disappeared. And when I turned it on again it came back. So it was just ordinary induction, with me being the antenna.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder