Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineeggystardust
Viva elDirector!

Yawning?
    #1661859 - 06/25/03 03:46 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Anybody get the yawns on the come-up? I always do, it's not like I'm tired, but I constantly get the urge to yawn. After a half hour, the yawns start feeling really stretchy... :grin: 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineChiefThunderbong
Inhale to theChief
 User Gallery

Re: Yawning? [Re: eggystardust]
    #1661910 - 06/25/03 04:03 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

That happens everytime I eat mushrooms.

--------------------
Yeah spinnin' around again
yea caught in a tailspin

Invisibleshroomsi8
Kadiddle Hooper(Iazinguaswinzagshwamomiter)

Re: Yawning? [Re: ChiefThunderbong]
    #1661981 - 06/25/03 04:28 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

1. Yawning is induced by hypoxia (low oxygen levels in the blood stream).

The idea behind this (the most popular) theory is that yawning causes you to take a deep breath when you need some extra oxygen - perhaps because you are tired are have not been breathing enough. These are MANY problems with this idea, but the main problem is that yawning occurs only when you are tired and does not occur in the many other instances of hypoxia. For example, if you exercise hard you need more oxygen - but your body makes you breath harder, not yawn! If you are brought from, say, sea-level to an elevation of 20,000 feet within a time period of 5 min, you will immediately faint due to severe hypoxia, but you will not yawn.

2. Yawning is a method for communicating to other individuals your physiological state of being tired.

This idea is that several human behaviors are for communication purposes. Thus, smiling is to let people know that you're happy, crying is to tell people that you are very sad (and possibly need help), the facial expressions of anger and to let people know that you are mad, and yawning is simply to let people know that you're tired. The problem with this idea is that nearly all vertebrates yawn, including fish, alligators, turtles, etc. Yet it is hard to believe that your goldfish is trying to communicate its feelings or tiredness! These lower vertebrates don't show any other "feeling" communication behaviors (such as smiling, purring, crying, etc.) Thus it does not seem likely that they yawn as a communication device. This does not mean that humans don't use yawning to communicate feelings, but yawning certainly didn't originate for this reason.

3. Yawning is used to stretch out the lungs to prepare them for use.

Perhaps the lungs need a little stretching every once in a while to get out the wrinkles, etc. This would explain why yawning is often associated with stretching other muscles (like the arms, etc.) So all you are doing is preparing the body for a hard day of work. However, this would not explain why you yawn when you get tired before bed - because sleeping definitely does not qualify as a "hard day of work." You don't need to prepare you lungs for sleep since sleep requires much less oxygen than being awake.

Now I will do my best to provide a possible rational explanation/theory for human yawning. That me first suggest that there are actually two different types of yawning - let's call them type I and type II. These are defined as yawning associated with skeletal muscle stretching (type II), or yawning by itself (type I). My proposition is that type I yawning ONLY occurs at night before you go to bed, and that type II yawning ONLY occurs in the morning as you are waking up. Thus, type II yawning is explained by theory #3 - that you are stretching your lungs to prepare them for a day of breathing. Type I yawning is explained by theory #2 - that you are communicating the fact that you're tired to other people. So my theory is actually a combination of theories #2 and #3.

My idea would be that Type II yawning is the only form of yawning used by lower vertebrates and even most mammals, like cats for example. Cats very often yawn and stretch when waking up in the morning, but you will rarely see a cat yawn when it is tired in the evening - so they only have type II yawning. The idea would be that we evolved from a mammal that, like the cat, only had type II yawning. However, for very social animals like our ancestors, evolution selected for a way to communicate being tired. Basically, yawning was adopted for this purpose - and hence type I yawning evolved. This might have been useful for many purposes, such as synchronizing the sleeping schedules of a group of social animals that lived together. This would be the reason yawning seems contagious. When you see someone yawn, your brain makes you become more tired yourself, and so you start yawning as well. This helps everyone go to sleep at about the same time.

--------------------

Edited by shroomsi8 (06/25/03 04:32 PM)

Offlinejustthiz
prozac über alles
    #1663845 - 06/26/03 06:13 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I also yawn... BUT .... the strange thing is it doesn't really feel like a yawn (satisfying) ... I just more or less open my mouth for no real reason (not tired or anything) and it doesn't satisfy me like a normal yawn can :smile:

anyone else got this feeling ?
cya 

Edited by justthiz (06/26/03 06:14 AM)

Offlinedjd586
Underpants Gnome

Re: Yawning? [Re: justthiz]
    #1664051 - 06/26/03 09:08 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Sorry Shroomsi8, but your incorrect. Don't think of yawning as due to hypoxia but more as due to an excess build up of Carbon Dioxide in your blood. Yawning is simply your body's reaction to your heart rate exceding your breathing rate. You don't yawn when you exercise because your body isn't in a relaxed state. With each movement you take your heart beat rasies requiring your breathing rate to increase.

Yawning isn't a way to communicate with others that you're tired, or to strech out your lungs.

You don't yawn when brought from sea-level to an elevation of 20,000 feet within a time period of 5 min such a sevre drop in oxygen levels in the brain in that amount of time will cause anyone to faint... your body is still expelling any carbon dixoide it produces thus you have no urge to yawn.

When someone goes into a relaxed state your breathing rate is the first to drop, falling from around 30 - 40 breathes a minute to around 15 -25/minute. You heart rate doesn't automatically slow with your breathing rate and the build up of CO2 in your bloodstream causes the yawn reaction to occur. After yawning a few times your heart rate will compensate for the excess CO2 levels by slowing down to level out with your relaxed breathing level.

--------------------

Phase 1... collect underpants... phase 2...??? ... Phase 3 - PROFIT!

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Yawning? [Re: djd586]
    #1664162 - 06/26/03 10:12 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Then how do you explain the fact that yawns are contagious?....if your in a room of say 30-40 people its a studied fact that if one person yawns a good 5 more will be incured by other people.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

InvisibleDreaMaTrix
Shaman I am

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Falling into place
Re: Yawning? [Re: shroomsi8]
    #1664462 - 06/26/03 12:34 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Chinese medicine believes yawning to be a release of blocked or stagnant energy.

--------------------

"We are the one's we have been waiting for" - Hopi saying

Offlinepsilyhunter
Big Nerd
Loc: Wherever I am
Re: Yawning? [Re: DreaMaTrix]
    #1665907 - 06/26/03 10:09 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Some trips I yawn so much I get the jaw equivilent of a charlie-horse.

--------------------
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Chart your own course... but only from here to there.

OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

Re: Yawning? [Re: psilyhunter]
    #1665951 - 06/26/03 10:32 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

this thread is making me yawn like crazy

case in point? i dunno.

--------------------

OfflineBrugman
antisobrietarian
Male

Loc: the land up over Flag
Re: Yawning? [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #1666525 - 06/27/03 02:40 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I kinda figured since I think humans are kind of like pack animals, that when someone yawns, it's kinda like saying "bedtime!".
And others around the yawner will yawn.. and then maybe go to sleep after.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1668188 - 06/27/03 09:49 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

ahh yes the yawns.. :smile:

Regulate your breathing and this should happen less, but it seems to come with the psychedelic territory.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineLOBO
Vagabond

Loc: NY
    #1676439 - 07/01/03 08:51 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

When I start to yawn is the shroomies that are kicking in, usually the yawns are accompanied with strong visuals.
Like some one said that the Chinese believe that you unblock the energy flow when you yawn, makes total sense to me.
The yawns experienced with shrooms are different that the yawns when you are tired.
At least for me .
Also I noticed that when I am tripping and thinking of something and if I am in the right track I receive a confirmation from the shroomie with a yawn that moves my entire body.
I think the use it to communicate with you.
Pay no attention to me I am crazy hehe

--------------------

OfflineJazzMatazz
addict

Loc: Vienna, Austria
Re: Yawning? [Re: LOBO]
    #1676454 - 07/01/03 09:03 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

On shrooms I also yawn on the come-up.
In terms of the discussion: I found that I yawn to types of yawns on shrooms. One is the real yawning, cause Im tired. The other is when the trips comes down on me again. The second is much more vigorous, as I open my mouth as wide as I can and really feel my cheek-bones. When I close it again I put my jaw together very tensely.(I know actions are always much more over-down on shrooms than normally, but there is a real difference between the two yawns).
Thus I conclude, that there should be a difference made between yawning on shrooms, and its original purpose.

--------------------
Perception is limited to consciousness.Expand it and unfold other realities.

Invisiblehoushroom
shroom cowboy

Loc: space city
Re: Yawning? [Re: JazzMatazz]
    #1676557 - 07/01/03 09:59 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

my eyes water when i yawn...what's up with that? it happened like crazy this weekened when i tripped on shrooms, which made an interesting experience.

Offlinesuperfine
Driter

Loc: My Home Roams
Re: Yawning? [Re: houshroom]
    #1679085 - 07/02/03 03:01 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

AHHHH YES! i remember one time i yawned. That was the only time I have ever been able to clearly pinpoint the exact second of peaking (of course this could be just my mind) I yawned and the whole universe stopped for that 2 seconds and got sucked into my yawn. My friend claimed not to feel it but i can't beleive that because he was right next to me ~superyawn~

--------------------
Go through the orange yesterday

I watched intently for a while to both sides, infront of me and behind me.
I was impressed to learn there was another way to look... UP!
More impressive still was the fact that there were beautiful stars in this direction
Most amazing fact of all was the prospect of another direction when I was done with up. DOWN! Which, based on the feel through my toes would be a fine sandy beach!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag