Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Scales, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineincredibledibll
Stranger
the substrate..... WBS and RYE GRAIN
    #1675185 - 06/30/03 10:51 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Hello fellow members,
I have a quick question that might take a few long answers and opinions.
I have successfully grown with an average yield with the PF tek BRF method, and now i want to try other substrates that may yield better results, therefore better flushes.....
I have read up on sum posts about Wild Bird Seed and Rye Grain.
If I was to try one method, which would be better, or are they both good?, and as well, is it possible to STEAM STERILIZE the WBS and/or RYE GRAIN...?
(I am financially challenged and cannot buy a big Pressure cooker...)
please help me out with opinions based on your experiences, cause I dont know what my next step should be.
I essentially would like to develop a method that can create bulk substrates with an ease into a larger scale fruiting production....
please let me know...
iNcrediBll

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: the substrate..... WBS and RYE GRAIN [Re: incredibledibll]
    #1675272 - 06/30/03 11:26 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Both are good. They both have good attributes. I personally like WBS because its cheap and easier for me to find. As long as you have WBS with composed of mostly white millet, you'll be good.

However, Its kind of hard to get good flushes from a pure WBS casing, as its much better to spawn into a bulk substrate like dung. If you wanted to do straight, you would want to add about 25% verm.

You'll end up with the green mold if you try to steam sterilize. Pressure cookers are only like 50 bucks at Walmart/Sears. Its worth the investment. Plus you can PC your PF tek jars too. I have seen some awsome flushes of cased PF cakes.

I'd experiment with some PF casings (50/50 verm/coir). Just throw in like 10 cakes to a container and you'll see some large fruits.

Then move on to bulk/grain.

Offlineredfoot

#1675280 - 06/30/03 11:28 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Mind you i have not tried either substrate.

But from my readings i see its basically essential to have a pressure cooker for wbs, popcorn, and rye. Although there is a tek somewhere about triple boiling the substrate in an attempt to kill the bacteria over a three day period.

If you are looking for larger yeilds maybe try spawing your brf cakes into some straw (no pressure cooker needed for sterilization and staw is free/cheap; cubes love straw)? From what i have read basically the more substrate larger the yeild (under the right conditions).

Invisibleph_plus
Malkawian

Loc: Constantinople
    #1675309 - 06/30/03 11:36 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

> I have successfully grown with an average yield with the PF tek BRF method, and now i want to try other substrates that may yield better results, therefore better flushes.....
I have read up on sum posts about Wild Bird Seed and Rye Grain.
If I was to try one method, which would be better, or are they both good?, and as well, is it possible to STEAM STERILIZE the WBS and/or RYE GRAIN...?

Since it's not recommended to steam sterilize WBS and rye grain jars, you can use this method for more yields;

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/7971

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/7972

--------------------

The word truth...... doesn't make any sense..... As if the word sense...... which isn't the truth.........

Anonymous

Re: the substrate..... WBS and RYE GRAIN [Re: ph_plus]
    #1675370 - 06/30/03 11:53 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Good luck with steam sterilization of grains.

Grains harbor a lot of heat resistant spores, full o' bacteria, and will probably result in a rainbow of colors.

Grains, as a rule of thumb, should be pressure sterilized. I sterilize all my grains in a 16-22 PSI, 250-260F temperature flux, and never have any problems... even with wet grain that has been unsterilized for up to a week!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Scales, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation