Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleCelestial Traveler
Random Observer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Idaho
What do you think about a Bachelor's in Mathematics with Biology minor?
    #16726767 - 08/19/12 01:32 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Do you think adding the Biology minor would noticeably expand my job opportunities at all?

And do you think it would allow me to go towards a Biology-related direction if I went to graduate school?

--------------------
Funny Video              Pokemon But With Animals Instead              B

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepfxtc
RUEXP?
 User Gallery
Loc: Flag
Re: What do you think about a Bachelor's in Mathematics with Biology minor? [Re: Celestial Traveler]
    #16726773 - 08/19/12 01:33 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

sounds stupid

--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

OfflineigCorcaigh
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ireland Flag
Re: What do you think about a Bachelor's in Mathematics with Biology minor? [Re: pfxtc]
    #16726786 - 08/19/12 01:35 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Don't think so, biology is too broad a discipline.
The other way around, maybe...

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: What do you think about a Bachelor's in Mathematics with Biology minor? [Re: Celestial Traveler]
    #16726795 - 08/19/12 01:36 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Doing biology related research would be more useful for each of those.  I dont know about your institution but modern biology research very much needs people with mathematical skills.  If grad school is your aim then I would look for somebody doing biology research to work with.  (Of course there is no need to limit your search to faculty in the math or bio dept)

Only after I was sure that my major and research were well attended too would I consider adding on a minor.

OfflineCosmicLion
Organical
 User Gallery

#16726977 - 08/19/12 02:14 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

People apply Mathematics to Biology a LOT more then they apply Biology to Mathematics. Meaning, focus on the what you consider the important topic: Biology. Take mathematics as a side with a focus heavy on statistics.

Check this out:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesleadershipforum/2012/07/09/america-desperately-needs-more-stem-students-heres-how-to-get-them/

So both Math or Science would be good as a major...

Math majors would go more into theory + analysis + mathematical model creation (of any kind) + applied computer science such as data mining or engineering/physics software design.

Biology majors would work more with bio-research and bio-analysis where your applied statistics comes in handy to measure + analyze and your applied calculus comes into play when designing models of biological systems.

IMO Math seems pretty dry unless you are really into it and have an interest in Computer Science (programming). From the sounds of what you would like, IMO, you would be MUCH better off with the Biology major with the math minor. This will not only be a more rewarding curriculum with real-world hands on knowledge but it will open more doors down the types of avenues it seems you want.

:volcano:

--------------------
:peace:    :peace:

Earth's Essence

Invisiblescruffymafia
Dreamer

Loc: Wonderland
. [Re: Celestial Traveler]
    #16727125 - 08/19/12 02:45 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
This is the strangest life I've ever known.

Edited by scruffymafia (06/21/20 12:15 AM)

Random Observer
Male User Gallery

Re: What do you think about a Bachelor's in Mathematics with Biology minor? [Re: CosmicLion]
    #16727276 - 08/19/12 03:13 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

The problem is I've already been in college for two years majoring in Math, and I have a full scholarship that only lasts 4 years, so I'm really pressured to graduate in 4.  Really the only option at this point is to keep the Math major and add a minor, or double major.  Adding a biology major would be just too much.

--------------------

InvisibleDieCommie

#16727386 - 08/19/12 03:31 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

What about research?  Are you doing it or considering it?  I dont see why the scholarship matters that much.  So take out some loans, pick up a job and spend an extra year.  That cost would be nothing compared to getting some publications down and beefing up your grad school application.

In the end nobody really cares what degree you get.  They care what you can actually do.  If you are majoring in science or math you need to do research to foster real marketable skills.  A minor or double major is nothing compared to that.

OfflineTimeLapse
Male

Loc: The gym
Re: What do you think about a Bachelor's in Mathematics with Biology minor? [Re: scruffymafia]
    #16727474 - 08/19/12 03:49 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

scruffymafia said:
Do it. There's a huge shortage of biomathematicians out there, especially in ecology and genetics. Most biologists suck at maths, myself included.

Same, I am a graduate student in Cali with a Double major in Neuroscience and Genetics, and I absolutely suck at math. The company I intern with in the summer pays their bio-informatic and bio-statistic students a significantly higher salary then I. However, if you can't switch or declare another major because of your scholarship, don't be afraid. I don't where you live, but my wife and I are in Cali and the job market sucks here. However, my wife was a mathematics and physics double major and she got a job working with the government coding counter missle defense systems. So there's always work for a mathematician. :handth: She too was worried about work.

InvisibleSophistic Radiance
Free sVs!
Female

Loc: Center of the Universe
    #16727508 - 08/19/12 03:56 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Biology is exciting right now, even more exciting than when they were sequencing the genome. There's a ton of opportunities on the horizon if you have a solid grasp on protein sequencing. I would go for it.

--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: What do you think about a Bachelor's in Mathematics with Biology minor? [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #16727514 - 08/19/12 03:58 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

With a Bachelor's in Mathematics (and $3.95) you can get a latte at Starbucks.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Random Observer
Male User Gallery

Re: What do you think about a Bachelor's in Mathematics with Biology minor? [Re: DieCommie]
    #16728184 - 08/19/12 05:35 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
What about research?  Are you doing it or considering it?  I dont see why the scholarship matters that much.  So take out some loans, pick up a job and spend an extra year.  That cost would be nothing compared to getting some publications down and beefing up your grad school application.

In the end nobody really cares what degree you get.  They care what you can actually do.  If you are majoring in science or math you need to do research to foster real marketable skills.  A minor or double major is nothing compared to that.

I think I have a semester of research paid for too but that would still not be enough.

I'm going to an out-of-state school that would normally cost tens of thousands of dollars per semester so that's why I really have to finish in 4 years.

You don't think I could get a graduate degree in Biology with a Bachelor's in Mathematics though?

--------------------

InvisibleDieCommie

#16728341 - 08/19/12 06:03 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

You don't think I could get a graduate degree in Biology with a Bachelor's in Mathematics though?

Sure you could.  You can switch fields between your bachelors and grad school.  Its a little more difficult though.  You have to sell your particular skill set for their department and research needs.  If you do mathematics research relating to protein folding, your grad application could easily be submitted to biology departments that do protein folding or the like.  If your mathematics research is not related to biology and the dept you apply to does not do much mathematical or computational biology then your credentials would not be a good fit.

You really should do more than a semester of research.  Most of the time you dont do it for credits, you just do it to get published.  Your research adviser will be your mentor not only for the subject material but also your professional development (like tailoring your grad application to the appropriate programs).

Random Observer
Male User Gallery

#16737767 - 08/21/12 04:35 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

What would you guys think about a Math major with Chem minor, as opposed to Math major with Biology minor?

Would it be easier to apply the first one to a Chem field than to apply the second one to a Biology one?

--------------------

Offlinefbi365
Captain of the Sinking Ship
Male

Loc: Nowhere
    #16737953 - 08/21/12 05:03 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

If you want to work or go to school in a biology field then you should probably major in it. If I had to do it all over again I would have majored in biology with a minor in economics. Environmental policy is all about economics. Stupid (jk)

Don't forget that you can double major.  But ya math is good but I will guess that stats is very important too :my2cents:

You can always talk to an advisor

--------------------

InvisibleDieCommie

#16737971 - 08/21/12 05:06 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Celestial Traveler said:
What would you guys think about a Math major with Chem minor, as opposed to Math major with Biology minor?

Would it be easier to apply the first one to a Chem field than to apply the second one to a Biology one?

I see little to no effective difference between the two.  A minor is just some undergrad classes tacked on to your major.  Its doesnt really matter.  The best part about it is the extra classes you get to take and apply to your field.  If you dont need or want those classes then there is no need for a minor.

Offlinefbi365
Captain of the Sinking Ship
Male

Loc: Nowhere
Re: What do you think about a Bachelor's in Mathematics with Biology minor? [Re: DieCommie]
    #16738014 - 08/21/12 05:11 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Ya double major > minor

--------------------

Random Observer
Male User Gallery

Re: What do you think about a Bachelor's in Mathematics with Biology minor? [Re: fbi365]
    #16739119 - 08/21/12 08:09 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

But like I said though, I only have four years of paid college.  If I did a double major I would take over 4 years and then start having to pay out-of-state tuition.

One of my biggest fears is that if I change my major now, or tack on a double major, I will end up changing my mind/major again later on and end up in a long cycle of taking out loans to pay for more and more school while taking forever to graduate.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale