Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMachineElf1.618
4-PO-Dimethyltryptamine
Male User Gallery

Loc: Miðgarðr
The dreaded fungus gnat * 1
    #16734500 - 08/20/12 09:38 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I HHAAAATTTTEEEEEE these sons of bitches! They infested my most recent grow and I had so much fun killing them. I picked one up and decided to take pictures of it under the microscope. Enjoy!

The fungus gnat if you look at its abdomen you'll see these dark ellipsoid shaped eggs. There are some outside also next to it's legs.

The wing. If you look carefully you can see these tiny round-colored objects. Believe it or not these are spores! As annoying as the gnats are, it's a reminder that although it is a pest in controlled conditions, it is vital to spreading spores to knew environments in the wild.

Head with another egg next to it.

Abdomen with eggs in it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDissection81
Chimichanga
Female User Gallery

Loc: Palavan
Re: The dreaded fungus gnat [Re: MachineElf1.618]
    #16734521 - 08/20/12 09:42 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I hate these bastards. They infested one of my grows. :sad:

Did you manage to fight off the horde?

--------------------
Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh, you touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.

:My Collection -- Trades:

OfflineMachineElf1.618
4-PO-Dimethyltryptamine
Male User Gallery

Loc: Miðgarðr
Re: The dreaded fungus gnat [Re: Dissection81]
    #16735029 - 08/20/12 11:09 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I'm working on it.

OfflineQueen of Kings
Get on with the Fascination
Female User Gallery

Loc: Pacific Northwest, almost
Re: The dreaded fungus gnat [Re: MachineElf1.618]
    #16735070 - 08/20/12 11:18 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Those are awesome shots.  Thanks for sharing them!!

I have lost so many outdoor grows to these little wretches.  The second any edibles pop up, swarms of them descend. 

I've tried (with some limited success) using cheesecloth draped around my grow.  But that impedes airflow and kinda defeats the purpose of being outdoors.

I admit to a certain grim satisfaction in crisscrossing fly tape strips close to my shrooms.  It does seem to make a difference.  Soon the tape is lined with their wretched carcasses.  However, just knowing the little nasty things were even on my mushrooms makes me too disgusted to consider eating them.  What if there were actual eggs on my shrooms?!  Gah! 

I'm thankful none of them has ever appeared on indoor grows. 

I'm working on perfecting a system for outdoors that is off limits (other than the Martha, which they've never managed to get into). 

Good luck banishing your critters!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies