Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineChampi
The Only Spanishgrower
Male

Loc: Madrid
Parameters of composted horse manure
    #1672976 - 06/30/03 02:40 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Hi all!

I could finally find some composted horse manure in a grow shop. The bag indicates the following:
60 % organic content
40 % Relative Humidity
PH: 7.

Are these values right for mushroom cultivation? In this case, what do you recommend for pasteurizing the manure?

The main problem I think is to adjust the moisture to a right value. That 40% of RH means that the 40% of the 50 liters of the bag is water? In this case, I think the moisture shouldn't be modified.

I was thinking in putting a zip bag full of manure in the oven at 80?C for 2 hours and then mixing with the colonized rye. (1 to 10 parts) Should this work?

Thank you! - and sorry, my english is not very good....

--------------------
From disco to disco....

Edited by Champi (06/30/03 03:27 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Parameters of composted horse manure [Re: Champi]
    #1673000 - 06/30/03 02:50 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I would pasteurize the manure before using it.

Stick into a pillow-case, tie off the top, set in 175F degree water for an hour and drain overnight. Squeeze/drip dry the excess water and then you can spawn your grain into it.

You could spawn it into a plastic bag, but, you should just dump it into a container, and let it colonize in there. Then you can just add your casing (or not) and set into fruiting.

OfflineChampi
The Only Spanishgrower
Male

Re: Parameters of composted horse manure [Re: angryshroom]
    #1673422 - 06/30/03 06:58 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Thank you!

I have read a tek which uses oven bags to pasteurize. At home it's very difficult to drain a pillowcase

Would that tek work? The tek starts with dry compost, mix it with 10-30% vermiculite, add water, fill in the bags and then to the oven for 2 hours (at 80?C)

Is it very important to start with the dry compost? What's the best way to dry the compost? If it's dried outdoor, I think many spores and stuff could fall in the compost...

--------------------
From disco to disco....

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Parameters of composted horse manure [Re: Champi]
    #1673490 - 06/30/03 08:00 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

80?C is too much, consider 70?C.

>Is it very important to start with the dry compost?

Not in your case, this applies only to fresh dung. Yours is already composted. It doesn?t have to be dry.

OfflineChampi
The Only Spanishgrower
Male

Re: Parameters of composted horse manure [Re: Anno]
    #1679098 - 07/02/03 03:09 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Thank you very much Anno!!!

Your advice is always welcome... very welcome.

Another question which I couldn't see the answer in the FAQ is the measure of moisture the manure must have.

If, for example in the PF-TEK the water must be 1/4 of the volume, what is the perfect water content for the manure? In the FAQ only refers to this seeing the result (not too wet) but not with values.

Has anybody a recipe for adding the correct quantity of water to the manure?  :confused:

PD: The high temperatures in Spain (25?c night  38?c day) is making the casings to have massive pinsets, and all abort  :crazy:

--------------------
From disco to disco....

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract