Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblethePatient
Criminal Bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: Indiana
General Lighting, and Black Light Question
    #1659180 - 06/24/03 05:21 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I assume that Plants need some 'darkness' as well as lighting, since the sun is only up for a limited part of the day. I have 2 questions...

Will it harm, or benefit a plant to keep a light on it 24 hrs a day.

Secondly, For the 'darkness' part of the day, would it harm, or benefit, to use a blacklight? Would it have any adverse side-effects, or no effects at all?

Im purely curious because my aquarium was given to me with 1 regular light bulb and 1 black light. 2 bulbs in all.

--------------------
T h e r e  a r e  n o  o r d i n a r y  m o m e n t s.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecdchriscd
Green Acres

Loc: FL
Re: General Lighting, and Black Light Question [Re: thePatient]
    #1659213 - 06/24/03 05:31 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I'd imagine it would harm a plant to have no dark time. Though I think red bulbs (or is it green?) are used to work in grow rooms during the plants scheduled dark time because the plants can't pick up that color light from the spectrum.

InvisiblethePatient
Criminal Bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: Indiana
Re: General Lighting, and Black Light Question [Re: cdchriscd]
    #1659236 - 06/24/03 05:39 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I would imagine it being Green. Since plants themselves are green? I remember something about how plants absorb every color in the color spectrum (ROYGBIV) except green, and thats why they are the color green...maybe? Damn my 7th grade science teachers, and damn their unindepth lessons!

--------------------
T h e r e  a r e  n o  o r d i n a r y  m o m e n t s.

Offlinecdchriscd
Green Acres

#1659246 - 06/24/03 05:43 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Heh... I don't even remember being taught that in school, but it's probably green then. I know black light doesn't pentrate the plants deep enough for any effect also.

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

#1660618 - 06/25/03 03:40 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

It completely depends on the plant.
Marijuana is commonly vegetated with 24 hour light, but it won't flower unless it has 12 hours of darkness (and 12 hours of light) or very close thereto.

Offlinecdchriscd
Green Acres

Re: General Lighting, and Black Light Question [Re: zeta]
    #1660670 - 06/25/03 04:11 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I thought Marijuana was 18/6 for veg?

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
    #1662258 - 06/25/03 05:40 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

>>I would imagine it being Green. Since plants themselves are green? I remember something about how plants absorb every color in the color spectrum (ROYGBIV) except green, and thats why they are the color green...

That is correct. Pigment molecules, chlorophyll A and B and carotenoids in conjunction together pick up all the colors of the rainbow except Green. Though it really does pick up green but at very very low levels. And as we know, all other colors are absorbed and the one that isn't is transmitted, see a lesson in physics about light.

As for allowing 24/7 vegetative growth, I'm part of a minority, that consists of mostly educated plant science experts with BS MA and PhD's in the field, that say 24 hour photoperiod isn't good. If you view the photosynthesis reaction there are several steps part of which requires darkness because light radiation disrupts the passage of electrons down the electron transport chain.

Offlinemile69
wonderer/wanderer ૐ
 User Gallery

Loc: other side of the world
    #1662351 - 06/25/03 06:11 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

(im that weird wizard of oz voice)
the great nuero has spoken

Offlinethe man
still masked
Other User Gallery

Loc: C A N A D A
Re: General Lighting, and Black Light Question [Re: mile69]
    #1663319 - 06/26/03 01:46 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

physics is fucken teh shit my fav class. 24 hour light is no good. if you read your grow book the budding proccess is done buy shortening teh hours of light per day. start at 12 hours then slowly move down. 24 hours will fuck your plant up. anyway. remember uv rays are filtered buy glass or plastic.(dotn know what that has to do with anything but i guess the black light)ahaha to late im going to bed

peace

--------------------
And Moses Said "Let my mushrooms grow!"

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: General Lighting, and Black Light Question [Re: the man]
    #1671565 - 06/29/03 01:45 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

24 is used in the vegging state not the flowering period man. and many many many people leave the lights on for 24 hrs during vegging with no ill results. but at the same time the 18/6 schedule has about the same results execpt you save money on power. i favor 24hrs i think it works better but its all opinion really. according to your thinking then all bulbs would be useless for growing since they all contain glass. black lights suck for growing becuase they are at a longer wave length than visible light(ROY B GIV). anyways did you know how hard it is to address your name in a sentence the man? its akward. peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Offlineshroominsmurf
enthusiast
Loc: Where The Good Times Are
Re: General Lighting, and Black Light Question [Re: blaze2]
    #1672742 - 06/29/03 11:46 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

black lights spectrum aren;t high enough and 24 hours is not good for making a plant go threw the cycle regularly u would use 18/6 to 1 save energy or 2 have your plant mature faster, than if u used 24, 24 is for making large plants, u get it to what u want and u change the cycle to 18/6 or 12/12 whatever it is u do but its for enlargening a plant and no it doesn;t harm it in any way

Offlinethe man
still masked
Other User Gallery

Re: General Lighting, and Black Light Question [Re: shroominsmurf]
    #1672880 - 06/30/03 01:32 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

well blaze. the reason they do work is because they are not "glass" persay but another material with a different incedence of refration. im not sure what material it is but it is different i thought what u thought when i first learned that but then i sked my physics teacher. anyway talken smack. haha never thought about the name. just stupid one i guess

--------------------

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
    #1677093 - 07/01/03 01:43 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

yes flourescents are glass maybe they are polarized in some way that allows uv through and all that but its definately glass...

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Offlinethe man
still masked
Other User Gallery

Re: General Lighting, and Black Light Question [Re: blaze2]
    #1680973 - 07/02/03 04:48 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

ohya and plants dont need uvb cause u can plant in a greenhouse or in your house. but no matter how long u stand in the window u wotn get a tan.

--------------------

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
    #1683383 - 07/03/03 08:55 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I have a plant arrangement and an aqaurium far back in the room where there is very little light reaching from the windows. Since the plants require light, I set up a blacklight back there (along with a blacklight poster), which is on during the evening and some of the night. These plants see a very steady amount of UVA and UVB radiation, and it seems to be doing better than those plants that sit next to the windows. The aquarium looks fantastic when that light is on too. Some of the algae in there seems to be reactive.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

OfflineDr_Bloothumb
WTFWJD
Male

Loc: IL
Re: General Lighting, and Black Light Question [Re: Ped]
    #1683954 - 07/03/03 12:48 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Blacklights only give off UVA. Weed plants produce more protective resin when exposed to UVB. Reptile lights give off UVB, but this alone won't help your plants grow.

--------------------
Guinness- It's what's for dinner!

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

Re: General Lighting, and Black Light Question [Re: Dr_Bloothumb]
    #1685828 - 07/04/03 04:57 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Metal halide lighting gives off a nice amount of uvB...i've heaerd high pressure sodium does not..?

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck