Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblemikey
Stranger

no growth
    #1671182 - 06/29/03 11:45 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

i have 8 cakes and some of them are showing now growth i ahve no idead why tehy wouldnt be the odlest cakes are a week old and they have barely any and the newest are like 3 days so too soon to tell any help?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemikey
Stranger

Re: no growth [Re: mikey]
    #1671212 - 06/29/03 12:07 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

could it be a heat factor or didnt get the water content right?

Offlinekasper88
Stranger
    #1671249 - 06/29/03 12:45 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

My friend is having the same problem, his first ones are around 8 days old and are showing nothing. The other ones are around 5 days old and showing nothing. Hes thinkin it might be because he was having trouble keeping the temperature stable, but now he got that takin careof. Do you think the other ones are gonna be duds, an he should start some more jars? Or is there hope even though they havent started anything yet?

InvisibleHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Loc: 8b
    #1671250 - 06/29/03 12:46 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Me thinks you have bacterial contams. Did you let air in at any point?

--------------------

InvisibleAinasko
Oksania
Re: no growth [Re: HarveyWalbanger]
    #1671258 - 06/29/03 12:51 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

We need more information to help you, Mikey.

What do you do for gas exchange?

What is your temperature?

What is your humidity?

How much light do they receive?

Give us a few more details and we'll be happy to help.

--------------------
Ainasko is my name backwards. I'm a girl!

OfflineEdge
I like plants

Loc: Machu Pichu
    #1671260 - 06/29/03 12:53 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

an incubator really helps with growing cakes. the temperature in there should be around 83-84 degrees F. I didnt use an incubator and i was going through the same thing you are now. I built one and now everything grows well. The water content could effect it, but if you followed a tek it shouldnt be THAT much of a problem really...

Heres how to build and incubator if you dont have one... they're really cheap and easy to make. I would definately make one if you dont have one yet.

http://www.fungifun.org/pf/incubator.htm

--------------------
Check Out My "A Report w/ pics and links--FAE, RH, Casings, Cakes, Polyfil, And A Simple Setup And More!"

"For every action there is a reaction; and a Paykie reaction, is quite a fuckin thing"
--Turkish of Snatch

OfflineBleedingSickness
Friend OfAttention Whore
Loc: Northern USA
Re: no growth [Re: Ainasko]
    #1671269 - 06/29/03 12:57 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Eight days isn't long enough to tell I'd give them more days at least 10-15, secondly heat is a factor. If you didn't let your jars cool enough after innoculation then you killed the spores upon entry. Water can be factor as well did you pressure cook the jars?? If so did you cover the tops with two layers of tinfoil or at least something to prevent more moisture from entering your jars when pressure cooking?? The other thing is if you put too much water into your mixture you might be alright but you might not if you did it will just take longer to colonize if the bacteria doesn't get there first.

Also how you are keeping them affects colonization the temps listed around here are generally steady temps if you aren't incubating them in something with steady temps or at least having them in a place where they get 75-83 degrees worth of warmth this will also affect the colonization time more so depending on strain.

Offlinekasper88
Stranger
Re: no growth [Re: BleedingSickness]
    #1671284 - 06/29/03 01:03 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

He let the jars cool over nite so he would be sure they were cooled down. Ya he did pressure cook them with tinfoil on top of them. He followed the PF-Tek for simple minds, an is using that incubator that they made in that tek. He just started using that incubator yesterday, but he started the jars last Saturday. I think hes gonna give them a week more an see what happens, an if nothing he'll just try again.

Invisiblemikey
Stranger

Re: no growth [Re: kasper88]
    #1671470 - 06/29/03 02:47 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

gotta incumbator temp is 90 trying to get it down got them coverd yes i did pressure cook i used semi chopped brown rice im thinking that is somewhat the problem no light since they are incubatingim not using that kind of incubation chamber im just using heating pad

OfflineBleedingSickness
Friend OfAttention Whore
Loc: Northern USA
    #1671513 - 06/29/03 03:10 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Whoa there buddy 90 turn that shit down asap plus the heating pad is bad man that will dry out your jars. If you are going to use a heating pad at least get a rubbermaid container of a sort and put the jars in that and the heating pad under it. I think you could be headed towards thermal death man.......

And yea above, if he just recently put them in the incubator definetely give em some more time. Oddly enough bob just birthed a cake that'd been an experiment EQ in 65 degrees it took a month and a half to fully colonize.

Invisiblemikey
Stranger

Re: no growth [Re: BleedingSickness]
    #1671517 - 06/29/03 03:14 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

ive had a them in a rubber maid container with the the container between the jars and the pad no up or down on this thing just on or off so i have figure some way if i change it now should it be fine?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation