Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleConfucian
 User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
REPUBLICAN DAVID STOCKMAN: Paul Ryan's Budget Is An Empty Fairy Tale
    #16698653 - 08/14/12 12:23 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

This is coming from a Republican. Ryan is a very poor choice. To preserve tax breaks, I mean create even more tax cuts on the top 2% he is going to slash help to the needy, elderly, disabled, and piss poor, and vulnerable.

REPUBLICAN DAVID STOCKMAN: Paul Ryan's Budget Is An Empty Fairy Tale

The former director of the Office of Management and Budget for the Reagan administration, David Stockman, blasts Paul Ryan's budget plan in a New York Times op-ed.

Stockman calls the budget an "empty conservative sermon" and "fairy tale" and says it will "do nothing to reverse the nation's economic decline and arrest its fiscal collapse."

Stockman's main complaint about the Ryan budget, which reflects broader frustration with today's Republican party, is that it preserves massive and unnecessary spending on Defense and other programs while screwing people who actually need help by cutting food stamps, Medicaid, and other poverty-mitigation efforts.

Stockman also rails against the new "Wall Street-coddling" bailout Republicans like Ryan, who stand by and let the Federal Reserve fix interest rates, encourage speculators, crush savers, encourage overconsumption, and punish thrift.

Specifically, Stockman observes, Ryan's "phony" budget plan:

Maintains Defense spending that is nearly twice the $400 billion (adjusted for today's dollars) that General Eisenhower spent in the 1960s

Shreds the safety net provided by $100 billion in food stamps and $300 billion in Medicaid

Does not cut one dime from Medicare or Social Security for another decade

Includes no serious plan to create jobs

Radically cuts taxes on the richest Americans while eliminating tax breaks that mostly help the middle class

Fails to even consider a "value-added sales tax," which is the only way the country can begin to climb out of its budget hole

In short, Stockman says, Ryan's plan is "devoid of credible math or hard policy choices."

Harsh words coming from a fellow Republican.

But then, today's Republican party doesn't look much like it did in Stockman and Reagan's day.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/david-stockman-paul-ryan-budget-2012-8#ixzz23XvStROu

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDeadHearts

Loc: MICHIGAN
Re: REPUBLICAN DAVID STOCKMAN: Paul Ryan's Budget Is An Empty Fairy Tale [Re: Confucian]
    #16698706 - 08/14/12 12:37 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

He and Romney are both pretty much fairy tales. Id like to imagine they do not exist at all.
The world would be a much better place without either of them around.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: REPUBLICAN DAVID STOCKMAN: Paul Ryan's Budget Is An Empty Fairy Tale [Re: DeadHearts]
    #16698805 - 08/14/12 01:00 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Have any of you all met Paul Ryan? We should get him to come to the university. I’m telling you, this guy is amazing. I always thought I was okay at arithmetic, this guy can run circles around me. And he is honest, he is straightforward, he is sincere. And the budget he came forward with is just like Paul Ryan. It is a sensible, straightforward, honest, serious budget, and it cut the budget deficit, just like we did, by $4 trillion.

Clinton White House chief of staff Erskine Bowles

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/2012/08/13/erskine-bowles-is-a-paul-ryan-fan/

Huh. A Democrat.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: REPUBLICAN DAVID STOCKMAN: Paul Ryan's Budget Is An Empty Fairy Tale [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #16698820 - 08/14/12 01:02 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Or: http://nation.foxnews.com/paul-ryan/2012/08/14/eight-democrats-who-have-praised-paul-ryan

Eight Democrats Who Have Praised Paul Ryan

1) Sen. Ron Wyden (Ore.): “Paul Ryan shares my belief that we don’t hold election certificates to sit on the sidelines and that the only way to tackle some of the big challenges facing our nation is to work together on big solutions,” Wyden said in December upon the release of Ryan's proposal for Medicare reform. “Paul has also long-shared my view that the best way to hold down health costs is to give all Americans the ability to hire and fire their insurance company.”

2) Erskine Bowles, former Clinton chief of staff: Bill Clinton’s former chief of staff was a co-chair of President Obama’s deficit commission, on which Ryan served. Bowles sang Ryan’s praises in September 2011 during an event at the University of North Carolina.

“Have any of you met Paul Ryan?” he asked the audience. “We should get him to come to the university. I’m telling you this guy is amazing. I always thought that I was okay with arithmetic, but this guy can run circles around me. And, he is honest. He is straightforward. He is sincere.”

3) Rep. Dan Boren (Okla.): Rep. Boren, a Blue Dog Democrat from Oklahoma, is the first cousin of Ryan’s wife, Janna. Though Boren, who is retiring at the end of the year, did not vote for Ryan’s budgets, he has praised his Republican colleague as a man of impeccable character.

“Paul has a firm moral compass and has always approached his job as a congressman with diligence and honesty,” Boren said in a statement over the weekend. “Having many friends on both sides of the aisle, he is an effective and talented leader. Although we belong in different political parties, I see Paul as a friend, a fellow hunter, and most importantly a family man.”

4) Sen. Dick Durbin (Ill.): “I don’t disagree with Paul Ryan saying we have got to look honestly at Medicare,” Durbin said in July 2011. “If we don’t touch Medicare, in about 10 or 12 years, it goes broke. We can’t let that happen.”

5) Sen. Joe Lieberman (Conn.): “I thank Chairman Ryan for having the courage not just to talk frankly about the danger America’s national debt poses to the American people but also to propose a comprehensive program to cut the national debt,” the former Democratic vice presidential candidate and Connecticut Senator said in April 2011after Ryan unveiled his first budget resolution as House Budget chairman. “One does not have to agree with all or most of Chairman Ryan’s proposals to be able to applaud his serious commitment to reduce the debt that threatens our nation’s future.”

6) President Bill Clinton: Though Democrats insist Ryan’s Medicare proposals are “right-wing,” they are actually modeled on recommendations issued by a bipartisan commission under President Clinton, and have been championed by former Clinton budget director Alice Rivlin.

Clinton met with Ryan in May 2011 at a national debt forum in Washington, D.C., shortly after Democrats had won a special congressional election in New York. The former president told Ryan he hoped Democrats would engage on Medicare reform and told the GOP congressman to “give me a call” if he ever wanted to discuss the issue.

“I’m glad we won this race in New York,” Clinton told Ryan. “But I hope Democrats don’t use this as an excuse to do nothing on Medicare.”

7) President Obama: The president has, of late, had only negative things to say about Ryan’s budget proposals. He has repeated the myth that Ryan’s plan would “end Medicare as we know it,” and described the Republican budget as one that would “lead to a fundamentally different America than the one we’ve known throughout most of our history.”

But Obama struck a remarkably different tone in 2010 during a speech to Republican lawmakers in Baltimore.

“Paul, for example, the head of the Budget Committee, has looked at the budget and has made a serious proposal,” the president said. “I’ve read it. I can tell you what’s in it. And there’s some ideas in there that I would agree with but there’s some ideas we should have a healthy debate about because I don’t agree with them.”

Obama went on to describe Ryan’s “Roadmap” proposal, which served as the basis for the budget resolutions passed by the House, as “an entirely legitimate proposal.”

8) Vice President Joe Biden: “He’s a fine guy,” the vice president said of Ryan in June. “He’s a bright, handsome guy from the state of Wisconsin and he’s a fine guy.”

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: REPUBLICAN DAVID STOCKMAN: Paul Ryan's Budget Is An Empty Fairy Tale [Re: Confucian] * 1
    #16698830 - 08/14/12 01:04 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Perhaps stopping with the partisan hackery is in order. There are good, bad and horrible in both major parties.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: REPUBLICAN DAVID STOCKMAN: Paul Ryan's Budget Is An Empty Fairy Tale [Re: luvdemshrooms] * 1
    #16699875 - 08/14/12 04:27 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I read that this morning in the NY Times.  You do realize that everything he bemoaned about Ryan could be said in double about Obama.  And then some.  Do you know why David Stockman is pretty much ignored these days?  He's a Paulbot.  Do you know who isn't on the ballot for President in 2012?  L. Ron Paul.

--------------------

InvisibleNot Quite Social
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: REPUBLICAN DAVID STOCKMAN: Paul Ryan's Budget Is An Empty Fairy Tale [Re: zappaisgod] * 1
    #16708682 - 08/16/12 09:40 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Deadhearts said, I'd like to imagine they do not exist at all.

:thumbup: :yesnod:

---

Quote:

Luvedemshrooms said, 5) Sen. Joe Lieberman

:thumbdown: :shake:

--------------------

Offlinestarfire_xes
I Am 'They'
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dallas with all the assho...
Re: REPUBLICAN DAVID STOCKMAN: Paul Ryan's Budget Is An Empty Fairy Tale [Re: Confucian]
    #16711521 - 08/16/12 10:01 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

So what?  Obama doesn't, nor has he ever, had a budget.  Except the one he proposed that was rejected 96-0 by congress.

--------------------

InvisibleDeadHearts

Loc: MICHIGAN
Re: REPUBLICAN DAVID STOCKMAN: Paul Ryan's Budget Is An Empty Fairy Tale [Re: starfire_xes]
    #16711624 - 08/16/12 10:19 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

starfire_xes said:
So what?  Obama doesn't, nor has he ever, had a budget.  Except the one he proposed that was rejected 96-0 by congress.

Obama is a fuckin turd

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale