Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineWilf
Loc: England
Premature veil opening/stunted growth
    #1658654 - 06/24/03 01:58 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Hi there, as you'll be able to tell, I'm new around here.

I've recently bought a grow kit via the internet. The surface fully colonized and pinning began and all looked good. Over the last few days the 'shrooms have begun to come up. There are loads of them, however they are all very small and the veil's on just about all of them have already broken. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to combat this/reasons for it's occurance?

I've used the search engine on here and came across a few things, but no real explanation of why.

I'm new to cultivation and hence why I bought a kit first to get a feel for the growing cycle before generating a sporeprint and growing them following a tek.

They are Psilocybe cubensis, but I have no idea what the substrate contains. I have a few 'shrooms that seem to be doing ok, should I wait a while longer and see how it develops or start removing those whose caps have opened? (I don't want to interfere with it too much)

Any help much appreciated, cheers.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMAGICSNOOP
mob boss
Loc: bud park
Re: Premature veil opening/stunted growth [Re: Wilf]
    #1658739 - 06/24/03 02:42 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

what kinda of p. cubes??

InvisibleTomandjerry58
Stranger
    #1658747 - 06/24/03 02:44 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

could be a lack of water in the substrate.if its a cake dunk it in water for about 24 hrs. if its a normal substate. you might inject some water into it but i would talk to someone else or read up on that because i have never personally done that. i did the same thing on my first grow it was myco bag. and i dunked on the third flush.got more on that than all the previous. try the pf tek its alot easier than you think.:)

OfflineWilf
Re: Premature veil opening/stunted growth [Re: Tomandjerry58]
    #1658809 - 06/24/03 03:11 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

To be honest I've no idea what particular strain they are.

Hmm, yeah could be a lack of water. The instructions said they needed a spraying of water as soon as they were delivered and before mycelium was seen. I did this, but maybe not enough.

I'll have a read up on dunking. They're are loads of little shrooms all over the place, just they ain't very big. I was planning to follow a tek, but thought I'd buy a kit first (it was cheap) and then use a 'shroom to generate a sporeprint and go from there.

I'll keep you up to date and tell you how much they produce. Cheers for the help so far.

OfflineMAGICSNOOP
mob boss
    #1658825 - 06/24/03 03:17 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

not to be a dick, but u dont know shit about whatu got or ur doing so that is probly playing a factor is whats going on. u should know what they r growing on and what they r so u can properly tend to them right and see pictures of whats right and wrong about that type u got. good luck

OfflineFallenShroom
Shagadelic

Re: Premature veil opening/stunted growth [Re: MAGICSNOOP]
    #1658843 - 06/24/03 03:24 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

<I'm new to cultivation and hence why I bought a kit first to get a feel for the growing cycle before generating a sporeprint and growing them following a tek.

He knew and getting the hang of this

--------------------

OfflineMAGICSNOOP
mob boss
Re: Premature veil opening/stunted growth [Re: FallenShroom]
    #1658953 - 06/24/03 04:13 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

yeah but it is wise to know and understand before attempting. i aint dissin the guy we all was there one time or another. it just helps alot if u undrstand what is going one specialy shit like the type and substrate. but wilf dont get ur hopes down keep doin what ur doin. just studie a bit more.

Offlinepsilo9com
Koh Koh Gadget

#1659055 - 06/24/03 04:45 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah man, knowledge is power. Read every last tek on this site, and www.nansnook.com has an excellent archive there. Valuable stuff to know if you want to get your money's worth with this kit.

InvisibleTomandjerry58
Stranger
Re: Premature veil opening/stunted growth [Re: psilo9com]
    #1659134 - 06/24/03 05:07 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

maybe you can tell us the site and the kits name where you got this from. And maybe we can take a look at it to help:)

OfflineWilf
    #1670022 - 06/28/03 06:43 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MAGICSNOOP said:
not to be a dick, but u dont know shit about whatu got or ur doing so that is probly playing a factor is whats going on. u should know what they r growing on and what they r so u can properly tend to them right and see pictures of whats right and wrong about that type u got. good luck

All I know from the kit is that they are "Stropharia Cubensis". The site is "www.potseeds.co.uk".

I got them from a UK site to avoid any hassle over shipping costs etc. Anyway, since I last posted I have upped the humidity (thanks for that helpful advice) and they are doing well. I have currently harvested over 7g dry in the first week and they seem to be growing healthily. Looks like they could be very good value for ?24.

Last night I had my first experience on 2.3g of dried shrooms. I won't go into detail here, but it was a very interesting experience. I think I chose a good amount as I was in control most of the time, but able have some awesome closed eye visuals when I allowed myself to explore.

As for "not knowing shit about what you are doing": Well, I have read about the mushroom experience and the cultivation of mushrooms for many months now. I've read through many teks and had considered getting a sporeprint and carrying one out. I am however living in a rented house (with others) and would be unable to carry out the operations as necessary without the others in my house (and landlord) knowing. For this reason I purchased a kit which is apparently very easy to grow from. Now I'm in a position to get a sporeprint and grow mushrooms later in the year at a more suitable location. That's if I wanted to, I'm not really into mycology and never will be, more into the nature and effects of certain drugs. And come the autumn I'll be able to go out hunting anyway.

One final thing: There is a lot of contradictory opinions on the specifics of growing mushroom. For this reason it is necessary to ask such questions and form an opinion on the advice you have accrued. The question I asked could apply to any form of mushroom, though I appreciate there may be different reasons for it occuring for each particular form. I searched the site and others and there did not seem to be any explanation of "why" premature veil opening occurs. I'm a scientist and like to try and find out "why".

Anyway, that was long. It seems to be going well, and cheers to those that offered advice.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate